BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
310
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: M town

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
A Tale of Two Breitling's

I have two vices in life -- cars and watches. Expensive vices, yes, but healthy ones at that. (or at least that's how I justify to my better half).

The issue with these vices is they are few and far between. With whiskey, you can try a multitude of different kinds and buy again the ones you like. With girls, you could enjoy a different girl dancing on stage every night, and head to a new club next week.

With cars the majority of us can only have one, maybe two. And unless you are among the select few who can afford to go through cars like they do whiskey, you choose those few carefully. I am the former, and I found my one -- the E92 M3 is perfect in all aspects (but we will save that for another thread).

That just leaves watches. With watches I prefer a collection of just a few special pieces. As such, I have been building my collection very slowly, saving for those unique pieces that I will have for life.

Just recently I have been getting into Breitling. Their Motorsport heritage and classic design is very appealing. I have been looking for a unique piece I can wear daily and I have decided on the Avenger II Seawolf with the Cobra Yellow Dial. I was ready to move forward with the stainless version when I found the limited edition run of 1000 pieces with a black steel finish. I like the raw look of the black steel; it looks less posh and more hardcore -- just my style. And the rarity certainly appeals to me.

I suppose my question lies with cost. The limited edition is about a grand more than its counterpart. For a very similar watch, is it worth the premium?

I have never owned a Breitling, but am curious to hear your thoughts on it. and please, post pics of yours!

Option 1) Stainless Steel



Option 2) Black Steel


Last edited by MrGatsby; 02-27-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi6241.50

      02-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
City Pig's Avatar
Canada
6094
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Breitling are a nice watch. Toys are good, the ones with the most toys when he dies is the winner.......I have a few vices, and they are all cheaper than a 20 year old girlfriend.
Appreciate 7
MrGatsby309.50
Rmtt1707.00
Now_Rudi6241.50
MKSixer15097.50
Poiseuille3099.00

      02-28-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
Rmtt
Major
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
1707
Rep
1,435
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
I have two vices in life -- cars and watches. Expensive vices, yes, but healthy ones at that. (or at least that's how I justify to my better half).

The issue with these vices is they are few and far between. With whiskey, you can try a multitude of different kinds and buy again the ones you like. With girls, you could enjoy a different girl dancing on stage every night, and head to a new club next week.

With cars the majority of us can only have one, maybe two. And unless you are among the select few who can afford to go through cars like they do whiskey, you choose those few carefully. I am the former, and I found my one -- the E92 M3 is perfect in all aspects (but we will save that for another thread).

That just leaves watches. With watches I prefer a collection of just a few special pieces. As such, I have been building my collection very slowly, saving for those unique pieces that I will have for life.

Just recently I have been getting into Breitling. Their Motorsport heritage and classic design is very appealing. I have been looking for a unique piece I can wear daily and I have decided on the Avenger II Seawolf with the Cobra Yellow Dial. I was ready to move forward with the stainless version when I found the limited edition run of 1000 pieces with a black steel finish. I like the raw look of the black steel; it looks less posh and more hardcore -- just my style. And the rarity certainly appeals to me.

I suppose my question lies with cost. The limited edition is about a grand more than its counterpart. For a very similar watch, is it worth the premium?

I have never owned a Breitling, but am curious to hear your thoughts on it. and please, post pics of yours!

Option 1) Stainless Steel



Option 2) Black Steel



I know that within the last few years, Breitling was sold to a huge private equity firm in Europe. It hasn't seemed to affect anything.

As for your question....I believe the Limited Edition Run is worth the extra money without no emotional investment attached to it. Add to the fact that you like it, then I think it makes it a "no-brainer".

Just remember to keep all of your original paperwork and the original boxes...which I am sure you do.

I have never planned to sell anything I had when buying, but sometimes things come up and I would find something else I liked.... and I would sell one piece and buy another.
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 2
City Pig6093.50

      02-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
2153
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Yes on keeping the box/papers! I have the stainless watch on a bracelet and love it! Bought it several years ago before the LE was out and I do like that one as well... tough choice! Very long term I think the stainless has a more classic look that maybe the LE black might not have but that's really nit-picking. Buy the one you like!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 1
City Pig6093.50

      02-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
See63ess
Private
106
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

I like the stainless better but that is just a personal opinion. I am not a Breitling fan but I like the two that you have chosen. Limited edition on all these watch brands is BS. Just a way to market an exclusivity. Pick the one that speaks to you the most and that you will be most satisfied with when you look down at your wrist.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
1982
Rep
1,536
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

if you like it, buy it.

but buy from the forums.

www.watchrecon.com or www.watchpatrol.net to search. both pull from the various forums and put the listings in an easy to find place.

most watches, like cars, lose a lot of value in the second hand market. even bnib ones.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
Now_Rudi6241.50
MrGatsby309.50
Poiseuille3099.00

      02-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
5688
Rep
2,554
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I bought a "Breitling" once in the Mong Kok market in Hong Kong. Some shady guy whispered "copy watch?" at me and it was on. We haggled for 15 minutes. I think we ended up around $15 USD. It broke before I made it back to the USA, 3 days later. LOL. Some day I'll have a real one. But for now I have to just live vicariously through you guys. I say spring for the limited edition one. I think you'll always wish you had, if you dont.
Appreciate 2
MrGatsby309.50
MKSixer15097.50

      02-28-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
Cincinnatus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
52
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northeast PA

iTrader: (0)

I'm always worried that any finished watch, be it plated, anodized, pvd, dlc or other coating, will soon look like crap when it becomes worn scuffed or scratched. At least with natural finishes, they can be repolished or rebuffed to original condition.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
310
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: M town

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
I'm always worried that any finished watch, be it plated, anodized, pvd, dlc or other coating, will soon look like crap when it becomes worn scuffed or scratched. At least with natural finishes, they can be repolished or rebuffed to original condition.

Just my two cents.
I actually like the worn look. It's character that shows the watch was enjoyed as intended, rather than stored in some case to be sold years later. it wears as you wear it, and becomes uniquely yours.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt1707.00
MKSixer15097.50

      03-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
2153
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Looking forward to the wrist shots MrGatsby!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8953
Rep
21,993
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

For breitling I would look at 60s navitimers.
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille3099.00
MKSixer15097.50

      03-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
2153
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Have a Navitimer as well, another great watch but a little more dressy than sporty... IMHO
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
3099
Rep
2,622
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
For breitling I would look at 60s navitimers.
i agree, as you can see. the other one is from 1998, so only 20 years old.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1572
Rep
2,399
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I bought a "Breitling" once in the Mong Kok market in Hong Kong. Some shady guy whispered "copy watch?" at me and it was on. We haggled for 15 minutes. I think we ended up around $15 USD. It broke before I made it back to the USA, 3 days later. LOL. Some day I'll have a real one. But for now I have to just live vicariously through you guys. I say spring for the limited edition one. I think you'll always wish you had, if you dont.
Iím stuck on my Apple Watch, Citizens and Casios. Donít feel bad lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
Webb70
Captain
Canada
75
Rep
806
Posts

Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Which one did you choose ?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #16
wspohn
Private
Canada
37
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

Don't want to denigrate the choice you like, but that look really doesn't appeal to me.

I own a 1960s Navitimer which to me looks a heck of a lot better than the garishly coloured modern stuff, but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8953
Rep
21,993
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Yep
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
decibeljoe
New Member
United_States
8
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW X1
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

The black and yellow combo looks great. Like someone mentioned, LE versions premiums are only worth it if you personally like them. Resale value wont be increased by the same amount over the regular version. Mine has the black,white and blue BMW logo colors.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
Falcigs
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

If you planning on buying a Breitling, don't buy it from an AD. I would look for a grey market dealer with box and papers of course or on the forums. Reason being those things have about 40% of mark up. Breitlings aren't known to hold their Value like a Rolex or a Patek because there isn't a demand issue like with Rolex or Patek. I Bought an Avenger Skyland in 2009 for 2600 when it retails for 4500. I ended up selling the watch 8 years later for 2850.

They are great watches and as long as you buy it right you should be fine and will never lose money.

Good luck with your purchase! I still have a Chrono Avenger that my mom bought me back in 2007!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
773
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

I've had a few Breitlings in the past, and they are great watches but must be purchased used, as their value drops worse than a 7 series. Unless, of course, you intend to keep it forever and resale means nothing to you.

I'm also in the camp that LE are not worth the premium, but you're not buying the watch for me, you're buying it for you!
__________________
F87 (mine)
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
36
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: X3 35i Xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Newbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I've had a few Breitlings in the past, and they are great watches but must be purchased used, as their value drops worse than a 7 series. Unless, of course, you intend to keep it forever and resale means nothing to you.

I'm also in the camp that LE are not worth the premium, but you're not buying the watch for me, you're buying it for you!
Great watches but stylistically not my cup of tea although I had a nice Super Ocean. I agree, buying used is the way to go with these. I like the Navitimers but they're too large for my wrist. For me their Emergencies are what they're really about.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST