BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #67
bbbbmw
Major General
2367
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowle182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
You have the mindset of the college kid. Most people use drugs as a way to escape reality. Feel good. If there was proper education as to the dangers, and societal condemnation vs tolerance it would drop usage dramatically.

Wanna rebel against your parents? Get drunk and throw up on dad. Heroine is a self imposed death sentence.
millions of people do the same thing as heroin daily-from pharmaceutical drugs, why no outrage over that? Most of the danger from heroin comes from sharing needles, or what it is cut with. The pills people pop cut that aspect out and because its from a doctor no one has a problem with it.
Plenty of people have a problem with prescription drug abuse. Physicians are closely monitored by multiple sources to identify prescription abuses.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #68
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

Much easier to enforce prescription abuse than illegal drugs too.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #69
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3156
Rep
6,302
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I disagree. In fact I think it would go down - I believe a lot of the reason people start using drugs in the first place is because they see it as a way to rebel against society. Take away the idea that doing drugs is edgy or cool and I think you'll be amazed at how much use drops off.
Similar how European aren't as likely to binge drink as Americans are in a way.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #70
bbbbmw
Major General
2367
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I disagree. In fact I think it would go down - I believe a lot of the reason people start using drugs in the first place is because they see it as a way to rebel against society. Take away the idea that doing drugs is edgy or cool and I think you'll be amazed at how much use drops off.
Similar how European aren't as likely to binge drink as Americans are in a way.
Not sure I agree with this at all...
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #71
SumBMWGuy
Major
888
Rep
1,279
Posts

Drives: A German Car
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Much easier to enforce prescription abuse than illegal drugs too.
How is enforcement of prescription drug abuse easier than illegal drugs? Care to expand on that idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #72
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8965
Rep
22,003
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
How is enforcement of prescription drug abuse easier than illegal drugs? Care to expand on that idea.
Technically it should be easier but doctors get paid by volume just like drug dealers so incentive for them to hand it out too. Makes for nice customer base.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #73
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
How is enforcement of prescription drug abuse easier than illegal drugs? Care to expand on that idea.
You need to right a prescription for the pills. There's tracking that can be done. Docs with excessive prescriptions can be arrested. Minor stuff vs stopping a foreign Cartel.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #74
bbbbmw
Major General
2367
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
How is enforcement of prescription drug abuse easier than illegal drugs? Care to expand on that idea.
You need to right a prescription for the pills. There's tracking that can be done. Docs with excessive prescriptions can be arrested. Minor stuff vs stopping a foreign Cartel.
They can be arrested, as well as insurers (who track prescription as well) will refuse to work with them.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #75
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

My neighbor was the director of marketing for a pharmacy. They filed legitimate prescriptions. He was perp walked on CNN by the ny state attorney general because his pharmacy was suspected of filling to many prescriptions. He and his coworkers were later cleared but he lost everything. No apologies. His jouse, job, and wife all gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:46 PM   #76
bbbbmw
Major General
2367
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

By law, Prescription drugs are tracked from the point of manufacture to the point of sale. If you have insurance, or use Medicare or Medicaid, they are all tracking what prescriptions are filled for whom, and by which Doctor. Prescriptions can be tied to diagnoses, and all sorts of other information. It's simple analytics to identify the "Pill Mills" - even for people who pay cash.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #77
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8965
Rep
22,003
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Every pharmacy in america is a pill mill. You go to the doctor for paper cut and they offer your Percocet for life.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 07:15 AM   #78
infamousdiz
Major
infamousdiz's Avatar
United_States
496
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: (17 X5M) (15 M3 YMB,)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
+1. You would only have huge masses of new addicts needing treatment and being a drain on society.
we already have a drain on society between those afflicted with addiction and the money wasted on helicopters, boats and millions on OT for a dog chasing its tail. You forget the war on drugs is Big business. we could manufacture heroin for cents and give to away free and have the ability to offer treatment at any time. drug addict behavior is only in the absence of drugs, there is no need to lie cheat and steal if your substance is readily available. I could do all this while saving money. but as we all know it will never happen because mental health is looked down upon. "it's not a real disease and people feel it's a choice to be a druggie".....its not and the disease is real
__________________
I didn't know I couldn't do that. But I did know I couldn't do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #79
infamousdiz
Major
infamousdiz's Avatar
United_States
496
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: (17 X5M) (15 M3 YMB,)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Technically it should be easier but doctors get paid by volume just like drug dealers so incentive for them to hand it out too. Makes for nice customer base.
They do not get paid from the drug compianes. its illegal and I personal know someone who went down that path and is doing a bid. there is away around it and there is a website you can look up every cent your doctor took from the drug companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
You need to right a prescription for the pills. There's tracking that can be done. Docs with excessive prescriptions can be arrested. Minor stuff vs stopping a foreign Cartel.
The government blames the prescribers but will never touch big pharma because the dollars they take in campaign money. its a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Every pharmacy in america is a pill mill. You go to the doctor for paper cut and they offer your Percocet for life.
that is changing, its not that simple but what really happened in a nut shell was idea to aggressively treat pain the came about in the 90s and came oxycontin (which was tested on virginia coal miners really interesting story) and labeled as non addictive but we want to put doctors in jail. again money better spent on treatment and research for a cure
__________________
I didn't know I couldn't do that. But I did know I couldn't do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #80
infamousdiz
Major
infamousdiz's Avatar
United_States
496
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: (17 X5M) (15 M3 YMB,)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
My neighbor was the director of marketing for a pharmacy. They filed legitimate prescriptions. He was perp walked on CNN by the ny state attorney general because his pharmacy was suspected of filling to many prescriptions. He and his coworkers were later cleared but he lost everything. No apologies. His jouse, job, and wife all gone.
Another reason why the DEA needs to go the way of the dinosaurs
__________________
I didn't know I couldn't do that. But I did know I couldn't do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #81
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

DEA didn't do this to my neighbor. It was the state of NY. DEA is federal.

Rich people buying stuff is not a drain on society. The stuff they buy creates jobs. Takes hundreds to build a boat, helicopter, etc. They get paid and buy more stuff. Money has something called velocity. It's really how fast it's earned and used. If you have high velocity and still have people saving a decent portion the economy is humming. If you slow velocity down, everyone is hurt. Taxes slow velocity, and the government also only produces 40 cents of output for every dollar they collect. This is 60% loss on waste. That hurts the economy too.

I get the rebellion thing you say. But if legal many more who have restrained using will try. A good percentage of those will become addicted. More than become addicted from trying rebelling.

Big pharma contributes mainly to guess who, the Democrats. Especially now with Obama care.

Drug abuse is not only in the absence of legal access. Some people have addictive personalities and physiologies. They are the ones who become addicts far more easily and frequently. Legalizing drugs will make many more addicts as they will now try them for the first time.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #82
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

Heroine was a huge problem in the 20s. Opium dens were everywhere. Acid was a huge problem in the 60s. Same thing. Making them illegal greatly reduced the % of people addicted. Why would making them legal again reduce this more? Makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #83
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

If drugs were legal, there would still be addict behavior. Addicts will need more. They don't need more to be rebellious. They need it physically. They will still lie, cheat, and steal to get the money to purchase them legslly and still destroy their and others lives.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #84
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8965
Rep
22,003
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
They do not get paid from the drug compianes. its illegal and I personal know someone who went down that path and is doing a bid. there is away around it and there is a website you can look up every cent your doctor took from the drug companies.
I realize that, they do however get paid by the person who they provide "care" for or their insurance, usually both. More people you "care" for more money rolling in.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #85
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1986
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I realize that, they do however get paid by the person who they provide "care" for or their insurance, usually both. More people you "care" for more money rolling in.
They still do not get paid for issuing prescriptionso for excessive numbers of pills or even issuing prescriptions. They get paid for treating a patient. Most doctors are very wary of issuing texcessive prescriptionso. Many are so full of business they turn down new patients. They don't want to jeopardize their careers on a bad prescription.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #86
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3156
Rep
6,302
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Not sure I agree with this at all...
Yeah it's a bad example, I thought I remember reading years ago that that was the case but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #87
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8965
Rep
22,003
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
They still do not get paid for issuing prescriptionso for excessive numbers of pills or even issuing prescriptions. They get paid for treating a patient. Most doctors are very wary of issuing texcessive prescriptionso. Many are so full of business they turn down new patients. They don't want to jeopardize their careers on a bad prescription.
You are naive. Half any doctors business is giving pain pills to people who if they weren't pussies wouldn't even be going to the doctor. We live in an immediate gratification society that didn't exist in the past. People have been led to believe doctors can fix anything wrong with them by taking a pill, we treat everything whether it helps or not. It keeps money flowing onto a relatively new big buisness. Medicine used to be about pt care now not so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #88
csu87
Banned
2092
Rep
3,655
Posts

Drives: 09 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Prescriptions drugs are so regulated, that the majority of the people you see abusing them are getting them illegally anyway. Either through the black market, through robbing pharmacies, or stealing from friends and family.

It is easier to find illegal drugs than it is to get prescriptions for the Opioid Painkillers; and the majority of the prescriptions you can get are tylenol w/ codeine or Vicodin, which are barely painkillers imo. My grandma has been on painkillers for about 20yrs due to some serioius back injuries and to get her prescriptions filled is a nightmare. I cant even go with her anymore, cause it seems everytime i do, they take her aside and question her about who I am, if she gives/sells the pills to me...

My parents own a pharmacy, sister-in-law a dr, wife works in the hospitals, and youd be amazed at the steps taken to regulate painkillers. My dad has to log each prescription he fills (amount, person, type, Dr., Etc) for every painkiller. If they are off on quantities at the end of the day (Maybe week, havent worked with him in awhile), then an investigation is launched. Also, if he is filling an above average amount of prescriptions, an investigation is launched. Over the 15yrs they have owned the pharmacy, they've had inquiries by the governing body probably 50+ times.

I am all for development of a new type of painkiller that is less addictive, but the fact is, these work wonders for the people that actually use them, so they arent going away.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST