BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

12-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #199
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
For Canada, they need to raise the stakes. How do you deal with a bully? Hit him in the nose. The Canadians should summon the Chinese and publicly denounce their hostage taking. Perhaps eject a few embassy personnel.
LOL - with Trudeau at the helm? Right.......

Remember, the Canadian leader also said this:

The Liberal leader was asked which nation he admired most. He responded: "There's a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...nger-1.2421351

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
There has been no extradition request.
Well, true - but this is because of the Canadian legal system.

The United States has 60 days from the time of Meng's arrest to make its formal extradition request. That will include all the evidence that they are relying on in support of extradition. After that, Canada would have 30 days to determine whether to proceed.

In arguing their case in Canada, U.S. prosecutors will be most focused on the fraud allegations involving the banks, rather than Iran sanctions violations because extradition from Canada typically requires serious charges like fraud. That's why you see all this framed in that way, to make extradition work.

Following this step, Canada's attorney general will have to decide whether to extradite Meng. Further challenges are likely if extradition is granted. At each stage of the extradition process in Canada, the person sought is able to challenge their extradition at multiple levels, both before the superior and appellate courts in Canada, and by making submissions on the issue of surrender.

Bottom line, if Canada didn't make it so ridiculously difficult to extradite anyone, then this would be done already.

Last edited by Run Silent; 12-20-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
City Pig6092.50
Torgus1969.00

12-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #200
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

As a Canadian, I've obviously been interested in this whole thing. My gut reaction as soon as they started making various Canadians disappear was that "Wow - this Huawei exec must have some good secrets that the Chinese really don't want the US to know about...or us".

Followed immediately by the thought...well, screw them, if they want to arrest Canadians and not follow any due process that we are, then maybe we re-arrest her, but create a nice "black" jail for her to stay in and not comment on it just like the Chinese. Tit for tat.

Because I'm guessing there are some bigwigs at Huawei who are taking swipes at government officials and this is why this is happening.
Appreciate 2
Law4627.00

12-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #201
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post

The Liberal leader was asked which nation he admired most. He responded: "There's a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime."

Well, true - but this is because of the Canadian legal system.

The United States has 60 days from the time of Meng's arrest to make its formal extradition request. That will include all the evidence that they are relying on in support of extradition. After that, Canada would have 30 days to determine whether to proceed.

In arguing their case in Canada, U.S. prosecutors will be most focused on the fraud allegations involving the banks, rather than Iran sanctions violations because extradition from Canada typically requires serious charges like fraud. That's why you see all this framed in that way, to make extradition work.

Following this step, Canada's attorney general will have to decide whether to extradite Meng. Further challenges are likely if extradition is granted. At each stage of the extradition process in Canada, the person sought is able to challenge their extradition at multiple levels, both before the superior and appellate courts in Canada, and by making submissions on the issue of surrender.

Bottom line, if Canada didn't make it so ridiculously difficult to extradite anyone, then this would be done already.
How do we know the courts are going to be the delaying factor if the US hasn't even made the formal request yet? If the US wanted to hurry this along, the extradition request would have been made by now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #202
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

Trudeau is playing turtle...

Quote:
For Canada, they need to raise the stakes. How do you deal with a bully? Hit him in the nose. The Canadians should summon the Chinese and publicly denounce their hostage taking. Perhaps eject a few embassy personnel.
Pretending that he isn't in the room between the two bullies. He hasn't even talked to Xi because that would be politicizing (the new catchword!) this process too! The only thing he could do which would be even more stupid is pick a fight with the bully that has less to lose in Canada, the Chinese.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #203
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
How do we know the courts are going to be the delaying factor if the US hasn't even made the formal request yet? If the US wanted to hurry this along, the extradition request would have been made by now.
Not true - Canadian extradition to the United States is very complicated and compounded by the fact that Canada likely won't approve extradition if the charges relate to the Iran Sanctions or if they aren't extremely solid on the fraud charges.

As such, it is only pertinent for the United States to collect all evidence of wrongdoing to properly present to the Canadian courts in order to prevent extradition from being denied or her being released on a technicality.

This is all due process, is it not?

Finally, the laws agreed to by Canada allow the United States 60 days to build an extradition case. Therefor, why wouldn't one expect us to properly build said case in the allotted time?
glennQNYC5530.50

12-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #204
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Not true - Canadian extradition to the United States is very complicated and compounded by the fact that Canada likely won't approve extradition if the charges relate to the Iran Sanctions or if they aren't extremely solid on the fraud charges.

As such, it is only pertinent for the United States to collect all evidence of wrongdoing to properly present to the Canadian courts in order to prevent extradition from being denied or her being released on a technicality.

This is all due process, is it not?

Finally, the laws agreed to by Canada allow the United States 60 days to build an extradition case. Therefor, why wouldn't one expect us to properly build said case in the allotted time?
As of right now there is nothing Canada can do until the US makes the request. No sense in arguing about a process that hasn't even started yet. It's the US' move.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent12183.00

12-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #205
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
As of right now there is nothing Canada can do until the US makes the request. No sense in arguing about a process that hasn't even started yet. It's the US' move.
That is true - all I am saying is that this isn't a quick and easy procedure, especially when dealing with Canada, who has a rather complicated and detailed extradition treaty with us.

These things take time. Ever seen the speed at which a lawyer works? It's like watching grass grow.

12-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #206
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Ever seen the speed at which a lawyer works? It's like watching astroturf grow.
FTFY, because my dad passed the bar in 1969.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent12183.00
MKSixer15021.00

12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #207
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i

Quote:

I think he's referring to admiring the efficiency of a dictatorship not admiring dictatorship itself.

It is true, things get done very fast if someone orders it done and you can lose your life if you don't follow orders. There is no vote, there is no choice, you just have to do what you're told.
      12-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #208
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I think he's referring to admiring the efficiency of a dictatorship not admiring dictatorship itself.

It is true, things get done very fast if someone orders it done and you can lose your life if you don't follow orders. There is no vote, there is no choice, you just have to do what you're told.
Regardless, I think it's common knowledge that Trudeau is a spineless twat and has a history of saying some pretty stupid things.

Not that our president is any better at keeping the stupid statements from coming out of his mouth.
Z K1392.50
Dabozo558.50

12-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #209
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Don't forget, it's not the Canadians or Americans at fault. It's the Chinese. They have a horrific system of government.

12-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #210
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Hostage

Michael Kovrig arrest: Canadian held in China 'not allowed to turn lights off ' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46645710
      12-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #211
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

And here's what he said when Castro died. Trudeau is an idiot.

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on the death of former Cuban President Fidel Castro:

“It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.

“Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”.

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.”
Appreciate 3
Run Silent12183.00
Law4627.00
MKSixer15021.00

12-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #212
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
And here's what he said when Castro died. Trudeau is an idiot.

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on the death of former Cuban President Fidel Castro:

“It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.

“Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”.

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.”
I read that as well. That is complete and utter shit coming out of his mouth. To extol the virtues of a mass murderer and psychopath is absolutely beyond any form of logic, common decency, or moral compass.

It truly shows just how terrible a human being Trudeau really is. He has honestly become a member of the 'terrible person club' when he lumps himself in with the others who have praised Castro, such as Kim Jong-Un, Robert Mugabe, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, Nikita Khrushchev, Muammar al-Gaddafi, and Bashar al-Assad.

12-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #213
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I read that as well. That is complete and utter shit coming out of his mouth. To extol the virtues of a mass murderer and psychopath is absolutely beyond any form of logic, common decency, or moral compass.

It truly shows just how terrible a human being Trudeau really is. He has honestly become a member of the 'terrible person club' when he lumps himself in with the others who have praised Castro, such as Kim Jong-Un, Robert Mugabe, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, Nikita Khrushchev, Muammar al-Gaddafi, and Bashar al-Assad.
Rumour has it the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.....Pierre Elliot Trudeau and his much younger drug addled wife were close friends of Fidel and visited often.....I guess what happens in Havana stays in Havana.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Run Silent12183.00
glennQNYC5530.50
arkie6328.50
MKSixer15021.00

12-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #214
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
But please, keep focusing on President Trump and calling him the largest threat to freedom, peace, and prosperity....

How arrest of Chinese "Princess" exposes regime's world domination plot

Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou's arrest in Vancouver on Dec. 6 led to immediate blowback.

Furious Chinese Communists have begun arresting innocent Canadians in retaliation. So far, three of these "revenge hostages" have been taken and are being held in secret jails on vague charges. Beijing hints that the hostage count may grow if Meng is not freed and fast.

Even for a thuggish regime like China's, this kind of action is almost unprecedented.

So who is Meng Wanzhou?

Currently under house arrest and awaiting extradition to the US, she will face charges that her company violated US sanctions by doing business with Iran and committed bank fraud by disguising the payments it received in return.

But to say that she is the CFO of Huawei doesn't begin to explain her importance — or China's reaction.

It turns out that "Princess" Meng, as she is called, is Communist royalty. Her grandfather was a close comrade of Chairman Mao during the Chinese Civil War, who went on to become vice governor of China's largest province.

She is also the daughter of Huawei's Founder and Chairman, Ren Zhengfei. Daddy is grooming her to succeed him when he retires.

In other words, Meng is the heiress apparent of China's largest and most advanced hi-tech company, and one which plays a key role in China's grand strategy of global domination.

Huawei is a leader in 5G technology and, earlier this year, surpassed Apple to become the second largest smartphone maker in the world behind Samsung.

But Huawei is much more than an innocent manufacturer of smartphones.

It is a spy agency of the Chinese Communist Party.

How do we know?

Because the party has repeatedly said so.

First in 2015 and then again in June 2017, the party declared that all Chinese companies must collaborate in gathering intelligence.

"All organizations and citizens," reads Article 7 of China's National Intelligence Law, "must support, assist with, and collaborate in national intelligence work, and guard the national intelligence work secrets they are privy to."

All Chinese companies, whether they are private or owned by the state, are now part and parcel of the party's massive overseas espionage campaign.

Huawei is a key part of this aggressive effort to spy on the rest of the world. The company's smartphones, according to FBI Director Christopher Wray, can be used to "maliciously modify or steal information," as well as "conduct undetected espionage." Earlier this year the Pentagon banned the devices from all US military bases worldwide.

But Huawei, which has been specially designated as a "national champion," has an even more important assignment from the Communist Party than simply listening in on phone conversations.

As a global leader in 5G technology, it has been tasked with installing 5G "fiber to the phone" networks in countries around the world.

In fact, "Made in China 2025" — the party's aggressive plan to dominate the cutting-edge technologies of the 21st century — singles out Huawei as the key to achieving global 5G dominance.

Any network system installed by a company working hand-in-glove with China's intelligence services raises the danger of not only cyber espionage, but also cyber-enabled technology theft.

And the danger doesn't stop there.

The new superfast 5G networks, which are 100 times faster than 4G, will literally run the world of the future. Everything from smartphones to smart cities, from self-driving vehicles to, yes, even weapons systems, will be under their control.

In other words, whoever controls the 5G networks will control the world — or at least large parts of it.

Huawei has reportedly secured more than 25 commercial contracts for 5G, but has been locked out of an increasing number of countries around the world because of spying concerns.

The "Five Eyes" — Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and the US — have over the past year waged a concerted campaign to block the Chinese tech giant from dominating next-generation wireless networks around the world. Not only have they largely kept Huawei out of their own countries, they have convinced other countries like Japan, India and Germany to go along, too.

Yet Huawei is far from finished. The company has grown into a global brand over the past two decades because, as a "national champion," it is constantly being fed and nourished by the party and the military with low-interest-rate loans, privileged access to a protected domestic market, and other preferential treatment.

These various state subsidies continue, giving Huawei a huge and unfair advantage over its free market competitors.

Huawei stands in the same relationship to the Chinese Communist Party as German steelmaker Alfried Krupp did to Germany's National Socialists in the days leading up to WWII.

Just as Germany's leading supplier of armaments basically became an arm of the Nazi machine after war broke out, so is China's leading hi-tech company an essential element of the party's cold war plan to dominate the world of the future.

As far as "Princess" Meng is concerned, I expect that she will be found guilty of committing bank fraud, ordered to pay a fine, and then released. Even a billion dollar fine would be chump change for a seventy-five-billion-dollar corporation like Huawei.

The real payoff of her arrest lies elsewhere. It has exposed the massive campaign of espionage that Huawei is carrying out around the world at the behest of the Party. It has revealed how that Party dreams of a new world order in which China, not America, is dominant.

The two Chinese characters that make up Huawei's name literally mean, "To Serve China." That's clear enough, isn't it?

sauce: https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/how-ar...mination-plot/
arkie6328.50
Wolf 335945.50
Torgus1969.00

12-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #215
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

But but but Russia...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #216
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
To Glenn: WTF? That was way too much for one post. Post salient points, not the whole damn article.
Run Silent12183.00

12-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #217
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To Glenn: WTF? That was way too much for one post. Post salient points, not the whole damn article.
Maybe include some pictures of Asian hotties next time ? It was all salient, I suspect that's actually a boiled down version.

This whole thing is very interesting and is clearly going to be front page stuff for some time to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #218
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

U.S. issues China travel advisory amid tensions over detention of Canadians

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...ted-the-law-2/
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #219
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
An interesting update:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...msO?ocid=ientp
New documents link Huawei to suspected front companies in Iran, Syria
Law4627.00

01-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #220
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
An interesting update:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...msO?ocid=ientp
New documents link Huawei to suspected front companies in Iran, Syria
As I said to others in this thread - there is no 'delay' in extradition. The US is simply building what they believe is a credible case for prosecution. Until that is collated and submitted to Canada, the extradition will be on hold.