BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Feyd: are all hamiltons with auto movements valjoux movements?
All of the Chronographs will be ETA "Valjoux" the rest will just be variations on other ETA movements models.

you can check them out here. www.eta.ch
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #24
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I love how in these threads it's always like:

OP: I'm looking for <fill in the blank> I like these brands <list brands> and this is my price range <$>, which one would you guys pick?

Response: Oh definitely get <not a brand OP mentioned> it's only <way out of your price range>, FTW!

OP, sorry for not contributing to your thread, lol. None of my watches are brands you're looking for.
      01-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
I love how in these threads it's always like:

OP: I'm looking for <fill in the blank> I like these brands <list brands> and this is my price range <$>, which one would you guys pick?

Response: Oh definitely get <not a brand OP mentioned> it's only <way out of your price range>, FTW!

OP, sorry for not contributing to your thread, lol. None of my watches are brands you're looking for.
You know how it is... us dudes are always looking at better ways to whip it out and compare.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #26
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Well, 3 people I know well (family/colleagues) have had Breitlings...

1st was a Breitling quartz (don't know the model name, it's like Emergency, but without the antenna). Not worn for about 2 years, battery taken out. After 2 years, new battery installed. After about 1/2 year, the hand time starts slowing down behind the digital time (by about 30 mins/day). They get fixed for about $300. Runs OK after that.

Colleague's Breitling Colt, auto movement, doesn't keep its rated accuracy. Total service cost $600, as a bonus half of the watch's internals in a zip-loc bag, to look at before you go to bed.

Another colleague also has a Breitling, and it has been in for service due to timekeeping.

All in all, 3 serviced watches is a bit too high in my books. I was a big fan of the Navitimer before this happened, as of now, I have turned my interests to other brands.
For what it's worth, I've had my Breitling Chronomat Evo for a bit over two years now and it runs absolutely fine. No service issues for me (and no obvious issues pop out on various watch forums).

Since most authorized dealers will give you 30% to 50% off list, there are a number of Breitling models within spitting distance of your price range. Resale is probably slightly weak when compared to the likes of Rolex or other 'high-end' watch brands, but that doesn't matter much if you don't plan on flipping the watch within the next couple of years or so.

On the plus side, the Breitling brand has a fairly deep and reputable history in avation timekeeping, etc. and they've done a decent job of keeping their pieces true to their history (although some of the 'blinged-out' models are admittedly a bit much for my tastes).

I'd shy away from the Tag. They charge a premium for the brand name that doesn't yet match their reputation (although they have been pushing the envelope with recent in-house movements, etc.).

Oris and Hamilton are rock solid. No fuss and reasonably priced. You definitely will get what you pay for (in a good way).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had bad experiences with Breitling, so I'd stay away...
Quote:
Well, 3 people I know well (family/colleagues) have had Breitlings...
LOL, ok, so not you.

You can hear from people of every brand about some simple timekeeping issues. No brand is 100%...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #28
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
LOL, ok, so not you.

You can hear from people of every brand about some simple timekeeping issues. No brand is 100%...
Oh, definitely, but knowing 3 people that have had problems makes it so much more real... People are always quicker to say that something is broken than to applaud something that works, since usually if it works, you just get on with things...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #29
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
I'd shy away from the Tag. They charge a premium for the brand name that doesn't yet match their reputation.
And they want to make that reputation with celebrity endorsements . After finding even more negative comments of chrono buttons (of exactly the model I'd buy) falling off, decided not to pay a big premium for questionable quality. But it's a great looking watch.

Quote:
Oris and Hamilton are rock solid. No fuss and reasonably priced. You definitely will get what you pay for (in a good way).
Good to know. Since I'm after value, not a name brand, any of those 2 brands (or others) would be fine. Just have to find the watch I like best with the features I want. I definitely want a strap with a clasp due to excessive strap wear by the typical 'D' ring, so another reason the Hamilton X-Wind is out (great value though).

Another question folks: leather bands don't wear well over time due to sweat, correct? I like that Hamilton Jazzmaster chrono (and another with blue chrono hands) but might be a bit too dressy. Leather looks better, obviously, but read that nice rubber straps are more comfortable, and with a clasp should last almost forever if not abused, right? Comments welcome.

Will definitely wait until I can try all the candidates on somewhere before buying, as I need to make sure they don't look ridiculous on my 7" wrist. I would buy a 40mm one blindly, but all of the candidates I'm considering are 43mm and above, and most don't list the height, which is another critical dimension IMO. Thanks a bunch for all the help. And yes, comments of any other brands are welcome .
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #30
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
If other brands are welcome, take a look at Omega. It's kind of like a watch lover's watch. IMO, the brand isn't really hyped up with people who don't "know" watches, and the quality is great. Get a winder too though. I have a Speedy and love it; it's my "daily driver." Comes in a wide variety of color options too.

Good luck!

Last edited by MontegoGoGoGo; 01-02-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #31
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Well, combed town today and only ONE jewelry had anything resembling what I want, and it was an older Carrera chrono with date only. Man, it looked HUGE on my wrist, plus the rubber strap couldn't get any deeper into the clasp and still needed over an inch more. Found two of those on Ebay and both listed it as 41mm, whereas the model I initially pictured (the newer day-date chrono) is listed as 43mm. It has to be a mistake, since my brother's 40mm Rolex Submariner looks puny by comparison . Anyway, it's obvious I'll have to try before buying to avoid making a $2K mistake.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-03-2010 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #32
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I'm a big oris fan. I have my 42mm BC3 on right now, and I also have a black TT1 Diver as well. Great watches IMO. That tag is also very nice though. Actually, its the only tag that I like.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #33
m2kev
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I would go for the Tag. From experience, I have never had a problem with it.

I have several Tags now, this one is what I wear daily, and love it.

43mm Titanium Case, Black strap with red stitching with a carbon fiber dial.

01-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #34
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92K335i View Post
43mm Titanium Case, Black strap with red stitching with a carbon fiber dial.
That's pretty much the one I pictured initially, but that must be the 'Singapore special edition', correct? I thought the only difference was the red-stitching, but the carbon-fiber dial (like Oris) is probably another, now that you mention it.
Hey, could you measure and verify the 43mm please? The watch looks HUGE, and barely adequate on your wrist, but I can tell you have a MUCH bigger wrist than I do.

For now I'm just going to put my watch search on hold until I can travel to a city where I can try all the different brands/models listed here and determine which ones actually fit my wrist. Then go from there. I suspect there won't be many left to choose from . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #35
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I'm a big oris fan. I have my 42mm BC3 on right now, and I also have a black TT1 Diver as well. Great watches IMO. That tag is also very nice though. Actually, its the only tag that I like.
I like Oris too. Couple of them I would like to get into so I can switch up from wearing the Breitling SA everyday. Not that I hate that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #36
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Go here, they have a ton of locations and have a crap load of brands all in one spot. Been to the LasVegas one a couple times.

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #37
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The Hamilton is hands down the best value of the bunch considering the build and movement. You can find those 2nd hand (95/100) in the $600 range.

My daily watch is an automatic Tag chrono and has been reliable. If I were to purchase again, it would be through the LVMH Friends and Family sale that happens a couple times a year. HUGE discounts and direct from the manufacturer. Just look for the link on watchseek or timezone.
      01-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #38
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Dude, when you decide what you want don't buy it on ebay. Like I recommended, Topper Jewelers near San Fran and WorldLux in Seattle are authorized and heavily discount all their watches.
When I say "heavily" discount I save on average 40% off the list price of watches. That includes Omega, Oris, Ball, Tissot, etc.
Between those two shops they have most major brands of watches.

Speaking of Ball and Tissot I would suggest checking those brands out. Also excellent value and good quality watches.

I've purchased a couple watches without trying them on but the best idea is to see what it's like on your wrist.
The two shops I mentioned do offer returns if you don't like the watch (if I remember correctly).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #39
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
Dude, when you decide what you want don't buy it on ebay. Like I recommended, Topper Jewelers near San Fran and WorldLux in Seattle are authorized and heavily discount all their watches.
When I say "heavily" discount I save on average 40% off the list price of watches. That includes Omega, Oris, Ball, Tissot, etc.
Between those two shops they have most major brands of watches.
Went to their site when you first posted it but they don't list prices, and were closed. Didn't have time to call today, but will try tomorrow. If they're 40% off, they're 5% more expensive than 'gray' dealers at the most, and I'd easily pay 5% more to an authorized distributor. I didn't want to pay 30% more to the local stealers though. And if they take the watch back without any 'restocking' fee, I'd probably try blindly. But if not, will wait until I'm sure what will fit.

Thanks to all again, and will keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #40
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

tag of course!
      01-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #41
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I'm a big oris fan. I have my 42mm BC3 on right now, and I also have a black TT1 Diver as well. Great watches IMO.
I've got a couple of dressy Oris watches for work, and like them quite a bt as well. Oddly, I first noticed them in a movie - in Constantine, when John slashes his wrists and waits for Satan to come for his soul, he's looking at an antique Oris. I've got the modern version of that watch, with white and black dials.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #42
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Not that I disagree with your assessment of Oris at all, but the notion that anybody could remember anything from Constantine other than how bad that movie sucked is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #43
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Not that I disagree with your assessment of Oris at all, but the notion that anybody could remember anything from Constantine other than how bad that movie sucked is amazing.
The movie can't possibly suck - Rachel Weisz is in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #44
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
My daily watch is an Oris (F1 Skeleton), no complaints but the face is a little small for my wrist and the tension does not last long at all - can't complain too much as I do not have a winder yet. I am thinking on a Sinn U2 or U1000 next!
Appreciate 0