06-28-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

BMW Group expands BMW Operating System 8, integrates Android Automotive OS

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm not too sure how to feel about this announcement. Is Android Automotive going to be an alternative to iDrive 8, higher end, lower end, or replace it in the long term. A slightly confusing strategy at play here imo.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-automotive-os
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

This is a surprising announcement to me as well. BMW has had a close relationship with Apple for a number of years and to have them now enter into an agreement to use Android Automotive OS alongside of Linux is surprising. This may explain why BMW was not mentioned as one of the companies supporting the upcoming version of CarPlay starting next year which is expanding to do a lot more in every vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 06:50 PM   #3
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Using Android Automotive doesn't mean the car can't have full current or future CarPlay support. In fact several car makers that use Android Automotive now do support CarPlay.

I'm more worried about the future and how long updates and enhancements for iDrive 8 might continue for.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Using Android Automotive doesn't mean the car can't have full current or future CarPlay support. In fact several car makers that use Android Automotive now do support CarPlay.

I'm more worried about the future and how long updates and enhancements for iDrive 8 might continue for.
This feels a little like what manufacturers did in the 2000's. Mercedes Benz, for instance, made TomTom maps available on their low-end infotainment systems, while BMW continued using the MK IV navigation in lower-end models while higher-end ones received iDrive.

My guess is that the AA versions would be used in lower-end volume models (perhaps Mini) while iDrive would be reserved for higher-end models.

If you think about the physical consideration, AA requires a completely different hardware layout compared to iDrive, at least in its current form.
      06-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #5
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post

Of course they will support the current version of CarPlay but why isn't BMW on board with the upcoming enhanced version of CarPlay coming in 2023 and beyond? I think this decision plays into it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:22 PM   #6
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Maybe. We don't know that they're not on board, just that they weren't announced as an early adopter.

Could also be that the iDrive 8 release cycle didn't align with the CarPlay release, no time to integrate yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:44 PM   #7
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Of course they will support the current version of CarPlay but why isn't BMW on board with the upcoming enhanced version of CarPlay coming in 2023 and beyond? I think this decision plays into it.
For all we know, it could just be a signal to Apple seeing as Apple's supposedly going to be entering the car market at a premium level and will end up competing with BMW. Google isn't. That being said, if I were to have the choice between a CarPlay based system or an Android based system, I'd go with a CarPlay in a heartbeat, assuming feature parity. For one, I have an Apple phone and for another, I don't trust Google with my data. I don't like being the product.
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
Paladin15528.50
      06-29-2022, 05:00 AM   #8
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
That being said, if I were to have the choice between a CarPlay based system or an Android based system, I'd go with a CarPlay in a heartbeat, assuming feature parity. For one, I have an Apple phone and for another, I don't trust Google with my data. I don't like being the product.
AAOS and Android Auto are two different things though they can be related.

There are cars using AAOS with CarPlay support like Polestar and GM.

And there are cars using AAOS with neither Android Auto or CarPlay support like Rivian.
Appreciate 0