BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

i3 BEV vs. REX comparison

My i3-REX is in for service, and I got i3-BEV as a loaner.
Actually, this is the 2nd time I got BEV as a loaner from my dealership (I requested one when F80 was in for service, which contributed to our decision to buy the REX).

After 3 days of driving the BEV, and based on 2-months and 2.6K miles with REX, my initial comparable impressions between the two cars are:
1). Mileage: I averaged 4.5 miles/kWh on the REX. My BEV consumption is currently 4.9 miles/kWh (same roads, same commute routs). BMW claims 12.9 kWh/100 Km for BEV (13.5 for REX) == 12.9 Kwh/ 62 miles == 4.8 miles/Kwh for BEV (4.6 for REX). I'm right on target with BMW NA mileage claims with both cars.
2). Fully charged (L2 overnight), both cars roll out of the garage in the morning with the same estimated GOM (Guess-O-Meter) mileage ranges: 72 for Comfort, 74 for Eco Pro, something marginally higher for Eco Pro+ (I need AC in the summer, so never use Pro+). There is no way GOM should list same full-charge range for BEV and REX, yet it does.
3). I can definitely feel that BEV is a lighter car (2635 lbs vs. 2900 lbs for REX), and does accelerate and handle better. It also results in better mileage (see #1), despite what GOM claims.
4). I definitely drive BEV less than REX. It's not that the 80 miles GOM (more like 70 real life with AC ON) is insufficient for my commute. Rather, it is that the 70 miles limit removes any flexibility I may have to structure my day. If I am done with work early and have something to pickup at Home Depot, I could probably make it on BEV's 70 mileage range (if I'm careful), but if they don't have what I need and I have to go to another store, I will definitely run out of juice. So if I hope to squeeze more activities into my day, I have to leave BEV behind and take an ICE car. Under the same circumstances, I would have grabbed REX without a second thought (even though I had relied on REX gasoline engine only 3 times over the 2.6 K miles).

YMMV,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 07-08-2015 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1