Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-06-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
i8BestCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Aftermarket Blind-Spot Assist & CarPlay?

Looking to get a used 2014 i8, and my biggest concern is that it does not come with modern convenience features such as Blind-spot assist and CarPlay.

- How difficult/feasible is it to install blind-spot or lane-change assist? I would be uncomfortable driving without this safety feature.

- I've seen aftermarket CarPlay devices, but is it possible to add CarPlay (pref wireless) while maintaining as much of the original BMW system as possible?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I don’t think either feature is available.
The right side mirror is convex so there is no blind spot.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #3
MinusWorlds
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8BestCar View Post
Looking to get a used 2014 i8, and my biggest concern is that it does not come with modern convenience features such as Blind-spot assist and CarPlay.

- How difficult/feasible is it to install blind-spot or lane-change assist? I would be uncomfortable driving without this safety feature.

- I've seen aftermarket CarPlay devices, but is it possible to add CarPlay (pref wireless) while maintaining as much of the original BMW system as possible?

Thanks!
I don’t believe either blind-spot or lane-change are available.

CarPlay can be added in one of two ways.

You can upgrade your iDrive system via the NAT EVO system from Bimmer-tech.net which is $1750. This is a complete iDrive upgrade and give you the latest iDrive setup. It’s a new head unit.

You can add the CarPlay MMI Prime also from Bimmtech for $700. This module plugs into the back of your head unit and gives you wireless Apple CarPlay, but retains your current iDrive system.

Install is similar for both. The NAT EVO replaces the whole head unit and MMI Prime plugs into the back of your current. Both will look completely factory.

I may be selling my still new MMI Prime if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 03:27 AM   #4
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinusWorlds View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
I don’t believe either blind-spot or lane-change are available.

You can upgrade your iDrive system via the NAT EVO system from Bimmer-tech.net which is $1750. This is a complete iDrive upgrade and give you the latest iDrive setup. It’s a new head unit.

You can add the CarPlay MMI Prime also from Bimmtech for $700. This module plugs into the back of your head unit and gives you wireless Apple CarPlay, but retains your current iDrive system.

Install is similar for both. The NAT EVO replaces the whole head unit and MMI Prime plugs into the back of your current. Both will look completely factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinusWorlds View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
I don't believe either blind-spot or lane-change are available.

You can upgrade your iDrive system via the NAT EVO system from Bimmer-tech.net which is $1750. This is a complete iDrive upgrade and give you the latest iDrive setup. It's a new head unit.

Has anyone put in the NAT EVO system? Are there any other benefits in doing that over the Mmi prime?
Appreciate 0