BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #67
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1212
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Changing your diet will fix most of your problems. If your joints are bad just throw in some moderate cardio. Cycling or elliptical will be lower stress. Hiring a coach is a waste of money in my opinion. All of the information is out there, just a matter of digging a little bit and then trial and error. Find what works best for you and go from there. Often people will dive head first into fitness, burn themselves out, and quit. You need to find a workout program that you don't mind doing, this will keep you from making an excuse or quitting.

Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #68
Johnjojoj
Kinda of a CrAzY person
United_States
1
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2015 bmw x5 xdrive35i
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: USA, CA, Los angeles

iTrader: (0)

JP10 absolutely right, spend a week for reading some articles and books, and you will create the best programm or remake some from literature, for cos only you know can you do something or not, maybe coach can be usefull for you to control and correct technique but usually guides on youtube is more than enouhg.
And about your joints, my sister in London also has bad joints because of rowing in professional team, but she still go gym and do hard training cos one of the main points in fitness is a technique. If it's correct your joints are in safe.
And if I am not mistaken she often do yoga and pilates she says that it it helps her joints, so you can try some of this. She's going to this studio, and once when I were in london she said me that I must go there, and wanna say it's really good thing to relax and stretch out.

In any case good luck and remember the main point in any sport, when start don't stop
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #69
The Chaddening
Major General
The Chaddening's Avatar
11559
Rep
5,528
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Oi, you gawt a loisense to change your diet m8
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Edition

War is Peace - Freedom is Slavery - Ignorance is Strength
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
chassis
Major
chassis's Avatar
United_States
975
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You likely don't need vitamins, and you don't need a "pro" or "expert" "coach".

Eat less. This is 90% of what is needed. When you eat less, eat higher quality food (fruits, vegetables, home cooked food). Pie and chips three times a week is not a good idea.

Exercise a little more. This is the last 10%.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Last edited by chassis; 12-12-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #71
335xi Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
335xi Beast's Avatar
United_States
345
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Answer - CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE! Build muscle. Weight lifting program! Protein builds muscle, which in turn burns Fat while you're sleeping.

Go to - www.bodybuilding.com and research the Nutrition section. Everything you need to know is in this website. EVERYTHING! I guarantee that you have no idea how many calories you take in every day. I guarantee you don't know how many calories you're suppose to intake every day to maintain your current weight much less reduce calories in order to properly lose fat not muscle. I guarantee you don't know how to count calories and eat the correct foods. This is where you start for a new life.

Build muscle, lose fat. Most people just start to eat less (BS diet) crap which never ever works for very long.

Quick summary is start out with a proven weight lifting program. If you do this you will win! This is a long slow body transformation which is giving the best opportunity to feel stronger, healthier and have tons of energy.
__________________
2016 M235i // Black Sapphire // Black Dakota // Tech // CW // Premium // HK // BM3 stage 1 // BMS intake // H&R // Evolution CP // PS 4's
Appreciate 1
FizzyElf130.50

      12-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #72
floridaorange
Colonel
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
2101
Rep
2,348
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

Health is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Once you've decided you deserve to be healthy, fit and happy, and never go back to neglecting your body, you are on your way!

Make the motivation about something extremely specific and meaningful, and then remind yourself each day.

What nobody tells you is, it usually takes about 2-3 years of consistency before it becomes a part of your life as natural as eating and sleeping. So make it a 2 yr journey (minimum) before you expect yourself to ENJOY it.
__________________
Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
mkoesel6976.50
chassis975.00

      01-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #73
floridaorange
Colonel
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
2101
Rep
2,348
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

now that's been almost 4 yrs - wonder how OP is doing with health goals - since there have been no updates.
__________________
Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
FizzyElf130.50

      01-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #74
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1212
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Working on solving my nicotine problem now. Have been weening off since the new year and officially quit today. I'm overall quite health, 5' 10" - 185lbs (12-14ish% BF). I run, cycle, row, all that shit frequently and with ease (to an extend, I'm no 100mile runner like yourself lmao, but you get my point). With that said I'd usually hit a cap around 5 miles or so running and my lungs would be on the brink lol. I want to change that. Started vaping about 14months ago, and I'm pissed at myself for it. When I run it is never my muscles that give out, just my lungs that can't keep up. If it were solely up to my legs I feel like I could go for ever (again within reason).

Anyways, if you guys would like to check on my status as I progress, feel free! If I have a little external pressure it will help me keep myself true to my "resolution" if you want to call it that.
Appreciate 1
chassis975.00

      01-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #75
chassis
Major
chassis's Avatar
United_States
975
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Working on solving my nicotine problem now. Have been weening off since the new year and officially quit today. I'm overall quite health, 5' 10" - 185lbs (12-14ish% BF). I run, cycle, row, all that shit frequently and with ease (to an extend, I'm no 100mile runner like yourself lmao, but you get my point). With that said I'd usually hit a cap around 5 miles or so running and my lungs would be on the brink lol. I want to change that. Started vaping about 14months ago, and I'm pissed at myself for it. When I run it is never my muscles that give out, just my lungs that can't keep up. If it were solely up to my legs I feel like I could go for ever (again within reason).

Anyways, if you guys would like to check on my status as I progress, feel free! If I have a little external pressure it will help me keep myself true to my "resolution" if you want to call it that.
JP10 Congratulations on the commitment to yourself to stop smoking and vaping, well done.

How are you quantifying your BF%? Eyeball/mirror or measurement?
Appreciate 1
JP101211.50

      01-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #76
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1212
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
JP10 Congratulations on the commitment to yourself to stop smoking and vaping, well done.

How are you quantifying your BF%? Eyeball/mirror or measurement?
Thanks man! We will see how it goes!

Eyeball/mirror. I'd say that it relatively accurate, maybe off by 2%. I hold a solid bit of muscle. Reason being is at my peak weight I was near 225lbs. Been about 7 yrs since then of constant bulk/cut cycles never taking time off (besides 2 weeks out of each year). Abs are visible although not completely defined. Veins visible throughout, and I was not a vascular person to begin with, almost the complete opposite. I'd like to do one of those water displacement tests to see where I am actually at because I have never had the opportunity. Why do you ask?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #77
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11202
Rep
8,796
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I should have weighed before I started:

Got a colon cleanse that I started 12/30; Mag-oxide blend. 12/31 about 0200 I dumped 2 bowls full of unformed masses. Went back to bed and took 4 more capsules and another bottle water. Later that afternoon, driving to cabin, I dumped 2 more loose bowls at a truck stop. Since the cabin drainage is a little slower, I didn't bring capsules with me. I AM glad I had a mask!

1/4 we returned and I started capsules again. Nice solid L O N G bowl yesterday. 4 more capsules before bed last night, loose again this morning.

I'm not quite to Elvis levels yet, but I need to do this more often than NY. I figure 3-5lbs lost at this point. Expecting a bit more nutrition from my food, and hopefully a reduction in cravings.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #78
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1212
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I should have weighed before I started:

Got a colon cleanse that I started 12/30; Mag-oxide blend. 12/31 about 0200 I dumped 2 bowls full of unformed masses. Went back to bed and took 4 more capsules and another bottle water. Later that afternoon, driving to cabin, I dumped 2 more loose bowls at a truck stop. Since the cabin drainage is a little slower, I didn't bring capsules with me. I AM glad I had a mask!

1/4 we returned and I started capsules again. Nice solid L O N G bowl yesterday. 4 more capsules before bed last night, loose again this morning.

I'm not quite to Elvis levels yet, but I need to do this more often than NY. I figure 3-5lbs lost at this point. Expecting a bit more nutrition from my food, and hopefully a reduction in cravings.
I could do with knowing less about your bowel movements lmao.
Appreciate 1
FizzyElf130.50

      01-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #79
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11202
Rep
8,796
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I could do with knowing less about your bowel movements lmao.
Next up: brushing and flossing
Appreciate 2
JP101211.50
FizzyElf130.50

      01-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #80
chassis
Major
chassis's Avatar
United_States
975
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Thanks man! We will see how it goes!

Eyeball/mirror. I'd say that it relatively accurate, maybe off by 2%. I hold a solid bit of muscle. Reason being is at my peak weight I was near 225lbs. Been about 7 yrs since then of constant bulk/cut cycles never taking time off (besides 2 weeks out of each year). Abs are visible although not completely defined. Veins visible throughout, and I was not a vascular person to begin with, almost the complete opposite. I'd like to do one of those water displacement tests to see where I am actually at because I have never had the opportunity. Why do you ask?
Thanks. I'm interested to know how people quantify BF%. It seems tedious/inconvenient to perform actual measurements, and I have never encountered a healthcare facility that offered water immersion measurement.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #81
Dlpfcb
Lieutenant
367
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Working on solving my nicotine problem now. Have been weening off since the new year and officially quit today. I'm overall quite health, 5' 10" - 185lbs (12-14ish% BF). I run, cycle, row, all that shit frequently and with ease (to an extend, I'm no 100mile runner like yourself lmao, but you get my point). With that said I'd usually hit a cap around 5 miles or so running and my lungs would be on the brink lol. I want to change that. Started vaping about 14months ago, and I'm pissed at myself for it. When I run it is never my muscles that give out, just my lungs that can't keep up. If it were solely up to my legs I feel like I could go for ever (again within reason).

Anyways, if you guys would like to check on my status as I progress, feel free! If I have a little external pressure it will help me keep myself true to my "resolution" if you want to call it that.
Hell ya sounds like a better place already. Your lungs will get there 4-5 days running a week and pace will feels easier and easier just takes a while to build a great cardio base for distance running. I may be biased but running is an amazing outlet. Maybe tracking your time through a garmin or Apple Watch will create some new challenges for you as well to progress through it. Competitive running is definitely my outlet, I live for that start line and finish line. Each race is a set time goal to beat and my training pushes me everyday to try and hit it on race day. I have been chasing a 1:15 half marathon for a while, I know I can hit so my drive and excitement comes from training harder and harder each day. You feel a boost of motivation and something to be proud of on certain training days when your just having THE day. Just an idea as you running 5 miles already means you already have something in you for running. Most would never do 5 mile runs if it wasn’t bringing them something. I definitely will keep you in my thoughts and if you would like a training plan for running let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #82
floridaorange
Colonel
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
2101
Rep
2,348
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I should have weighed before I started:

Got a colon cleanse that I started 12/30; Mag-oxide blend. 12/31 about 0200 I dumped 2 bowls full of unformed masses. Went back to bed and took 4 more capsules and another bottle water. Later that afternoon, driving to cabin, I dumped 2 more loose bowls at a truck stop. Since the cabin drainage is a little slower, I didn't bring capsules with me. I AM glad I had a mask!

1/4 we returned and I started capsules again. Nice solid L O N G bowl yesterday. 4 more capsules before bed last night, loose again this morning.

I'm not quite to Elvis levels yet, but I need to do this more often than NY. I figure 3-5lbs lost at this point. Expecting a bit more nutrition from my food, and hopefully a reduction in cravings.

Sweet fancy moses 2 uh, at a truck stop...
Bruh, just eat healthier.... brb going to
__________________
Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
FizzyElf130.50

      01-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #83
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1212
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks. I'm interested to know how people quantify BF%. It seems tedious/inconvenient to perform actual measurements, and I have never encountered a healthcare facility that offered water immersion measurement.
Yeah it is difficult to gauge, if you ask my fitbit scale I am 20% BF lol. I agree that it is inconvenient/tedious to perform, as such I barely ever try to confirm my visual assessment. Some gyms have calipers and owners that are experienced in taking the measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Hell ya sounds like a better place already. Your lungs will get there 4-5 days running a week and pace will feels easier and easier just takes a while to build a great cardio base for distance running. I may be biased but running is an amazing outlet. Maybe tracking your time through a garmin or Apple Watch will create some new challenges for you as well to progress through it. Competitive running is definitely my outlet, I live for that start line and finish line. Each race is a set time goal to beat and my training pushes me everyday to try and hit it on race day. I have been chasing a 1:15 half marathon for a while, I know I can hit so my drive and excitement comes from training harder and harder each day. You feel a boost of motivation and something to be proud of on certain training days when your just having THE day. Just an idea as you running 5 miles already means you already have something in you for running. Most would never do 5 mile runs if it wasn’t bringing them something. I definitely will keep you in my thoughts and if you would like a training plan for running let me know.
I have a Garmin in which I track my runs. I'm around a 7-7:30min/mile pace. Nothing crazy. I like running on the weekends as I often do not feel like going to the gym. Gym is my usually outlet, I'm there 5:10am-6:50am Mon-Fri and usually hit it over the weekend as well. I really just have a blast in there. Running isnt, at least at this point in my life, my only outlet as I often get bored running for over 40mins. Maybe that will change as I progressively improve my pace and my lungs get back to normal. Fastest mile of my life was 5:30. Fastest 2 miles was 11:55. I played lacrosse through highschool and college, so long distance running was never an aim of mine. Again hopeful that will change as I have always wanted to try running a half or full marathon. Seems like a fun and challenging goal.
Appreciate 1
chassis975.00

      01-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #84
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11202
Rep
8,796
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Sweet fancy moses 2 uh, at a truck stop...
Bruh, just eat healthier.... brb going to
It's a dick move, but when I know I'm going to blow up a bowl, I prefer to be where I don't have to be responsible for clean-up/clearing the line. The Karmic debt is not even close to settled when I'm the one who has to unclog our home, and the wife/kids do a fine job of using nearly a roll a day in each bathroom. I finally seem to have broken them of putting baby wipes in the toilet though.

Eating healthier is tough with my adopted Hispanic culture. I try to learn the wife new culinary tricks, but after 20 years of trying, I'm not seeing a bright future in that arena. Carbs are easy/cheap, even though I'm bringing her around to the idea that we have significantly more disposable income for food. I do find a few green vegetables in soups, and the fruit bowl seems to be occupied by actual fruit, as opposed to chips or bills.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #85
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1105
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

There are a few things I'm trying to figure out with my doctor right now so he wants me to start eating Paleo. Not very fond of this idea but going to try it for a month or so. I love bread and cheese so I've got to work on those areas. This week I've cut down bread or cheese to just one meal. I'm starting on 3 probiotics today so we'll see how that goes. I'm not overweight and all blood work is good.

I already exercise 3-5 days/week so I've been happy with that.

I have started to do more reading as there are some personal things I want to work on. Also want to get back to journaling a few days a week. It's so easy to get caught up in all the negative energy floating around for almost a year. I've seen it in friends, family and myself at various times and I want to handle it better.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #86
floridaorange
Colonel
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
2101
Rep
2,348
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Sweet fancy moses 2 uh, at a truck stop...
Bruh, just eat healthier.... brb going to
It's a dick move, but when I know I'm going to blow up a bowl, I prefer to be where I don't have to be responsible for clean-up/clearing the line. The Karmic debt is not even close to settled when I'm the one who has to unclog our home, and the wife/kids do a fine job of using nearly a roll a day in each bathroom. I finally seem to have broken them of putting baby wipes in the toilet though.

Eating healthier is tough with my adopted Hispanic culture. I try to learn the wife new culinary tricks, but after 20 years of trying, I'm not seeing a bright future in that arena. Carbs are easy/cheap, even though I'm bringing her around to the idea that we have significantly more disposable income for food. I do find a few green vegetables in soups, and the fruit bowl seems to be occupied by actual fruit, as opposed to chips or bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Sweet fancy moses 2 uh, at a truck stop...
Bruh, just eat healthier.... brb going to
It's a dick move, but when I know I'm going to blow up a bowl, I prefer to be where I don't have to be responsible for clean-up/clearing the line. The Karmic debt is not even close to settled when I'm the one who has to unclog our home, and the wife/kids do a fine job of using nearly a roll a day in each bathroom. I finally seem to have broken them of putting baby wipes in the toilet though.

Eating healthier is tough with my adopted Hispanic culture. I try to learn the wife new culinary tricks, but after 20 years of trying, I'm not seeing a bright future in that arena. Carbs are easy/cheap, even though I'm bringing her around to the idea that we have significantly more disposable income for food. I do find a few green vegetables in soups, and the fruit bowl seems to be occupied by actual fruit, as opposed to chips or bills.
Well gut health is everything so keep that in mind
__________________
Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #87
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11202
Rep
8,796
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
he wants me to start eating Paleo...I love bread and cheese so I've got to work on those areas.
OK, I could probably get by with minimal bread, but cheese????
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #88
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1105
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Well gut health is everything so keep that in mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
he wants me to start eating Paleo...I love bread and cheese so I've got to work on those areas.
OK, I could probably get by with minimal bread, but cheese????
Yeah, been doing some reading on gut health. I had my gall bladder out years ago & probably should have paid attention to this sooner.

I love fresh homemade bread and everything cheese. Sometimes it sucks but gotta step out of that comfort zone. I'm thankful to have never been overweight and been forced to change. Just trying to make even better food lifestyle decisions to feel my best.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST