BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
necropsyblade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Drivetrain. No restart

My BMW i8 LCI was manufactured in late 2018 and sold in early 2019. I bought it in the UK. However, I shipped the car to Trinidad.
The car worked well for a year and then a month ago I get the error ' Drivetrain. No restart'. When this happens the engine light is on and the car will not power on. The OBD scan of errors at this time usually include ‘ Power management, battery: Faulty charge by high voltage battery’. Also sometime i get ' Cell supervision circuit 2: Temperature measurement of cell block, measure value implausible'

However, there are times when the car starts normally and when it does, it drives well with no errors occurring. The car also charges the HV battery normally at this time and the dash displays a normally functioning HV battery.

The error usually occurs after the car has been switched off for about 4 -5 hours. It may restart spontaneously after pushing the start / stop button multiple times or sometimes if the 12v battery is disconnected then reconnected ( not all the times though)

I have tested the 12v and it has a good state of health. When the error is active the voltage is about 12.76 V. When the car works the voltage is about 14.5 V ( I assume that the HV is charging it ).

I have updated the software of the car from 2018 to Aug 2020. This has not made any difference to the error.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can solve this. BMW UK has basically said they refuse to have anything to do with the car anymore! So i'm looking for any help I can get!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

get you hands on a copy of ista-d & a BMW ENET Cable and use the OEM BMW Shop diagnostics software to do a thorough scan and test workplan for resolving the issue next time you have the problem occur.

do a google search ... you will find the software readily available for download on MEGA or torrents, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Chickenmusket
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i, 2015 i8

Drive Train Wont Restart Error

Hi ,
I have a 2015 that had this issue last year, same error, and sometimes it would start and run fine. The car was at the dealer for 87 days, waiting for 4 of the 6 high voltage battery packs. Once those were replace, I never saw the problem again. Just my experience.

Thanks,
JP
Appreciate 0