Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

A New Alternative to Consider

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
With the positive reviews Genesis has received for ICE vehicles, this might give one pause:

https://jalopnik.com/genesis-tradema...ign=2021-01-31
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone in fact, this is what most of us already knew and or expected and why many on here aren't that high on Tesla.

Electric vehicles are being mandated so we know we are going to get a bunch of electric vehicles that flood the market and it's going to be up to the consumer where they want to go just like with ICE vehicles. Do you want maximum range? Do you want compact? Do you want performance? Do you want the bells and whistles? Not one EV available right now ticks all those boxes and I don't expect them to just like how no ICE does that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

I think it will take few iterations until EV's "are good". With battery tech advancing in next ten years we will see better batteries which charge fast, have lower weight and more capacity. At the same time charging network will expand, then EV's equal ICE's in almost every way. Motorsport is probably only thing where they are not equal or better, especially in long distance racing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone in fact, this is what most of us already knew and or expected and why many on here aren't that high on Tesla.
Well, of course you are right that EV choices are coming in significant number. My opaque point was that Genesis might be among the first to have a competitor that would be as nice as a BMW i4 at about the same time, possibly with high levels of luxury, quality, and design. Mach E is clearly more downscale, Tesla is spartan and lower quality, Lucid is more expensive, EQC is off in time, and others, etc. A comparable level Genesis within the next year or two is the first somewhat direct potential EV competitor.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Well, of course you are right that EV choices are coming in significant number. My opaque point was that Genesis might be among the first to have a competitor that would be as nice as a BMW i4 at about the same time, possibly with high levels of luxury, quality, and design. Mach E is clearly more downscale, Tesla is spartan and lower quality, Lucid is more expensive, EQC is off in time, and others, etc. A comparable level Genesis within the next year or two is the first somewhat direct potential EV competitor.
I agree. I was just generalizing that we're going to start to see a lot of manufacturers start showing us their road map For EV's. There are going to be a lot of choices to choose from and it's not necessarily going to be Tesla, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or Audi or any other marque that get frequently brought up in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

I'd be down with a EV version of their G70. I actually shopped that car as a potential substitute for a BMW 4 series.

The only negative I saw with the G70 ICE was their MPG's. EV's that's not an issue (only the range).

Future is looking bright.
Appreciate 0