12-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_eleven View Post
If nothing else, it will push some other manufacturers to deal with theirs and try to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

As usual, autonomous driving capabilities are far more hype than reality. This carefully worded statement does not mean "approved for the world", it means "approved per Germany's law, which we're calling 'world's first', even though it's not actually the first in the world".

Personally, I'm still waiting for just a dynamic cruise control system which drives reasonably smoothly, and I'd feel comfortable using (ie: not the one on the BMW). If auto manufacturers cannot even make a system which doesn't feel like a spastic toddler with a lead boot is driving the vehicle, I have really low confidence for a good fully-autonomous experience any time soon.
Appreciate 1
chassis6531.50
      12-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Level 3 is a big deal. It eliminates lots of the issues with current level 2 systems- expecting the driver to still pay attention to driving when they are letting the car drive for them.
      12-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
Saenenj
Rep
Drives: BMW X2, Mercedes CLA 45

Strange that Tesla is not at level 3.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

My guess is that Tesla's autopilot and Cadillac's SC are still ahead, but Germans made a political decision to grant MB level 3 to keep up with overwhelming competition in this new world of autonomy and electric cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saenenj View Post
Strange that Tesla is not at level 3.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Level 3 is a big deal. It eliminates lots of the issues with current level 2 systems- expecting the driver to still pay attention to driving when they are letting the car drive for them.
Airplanes still require pilots to monitor how the auto pilot is flying the plane. In controlled airspace, the FAA tracks each aircraft with radar and ADS-B and has multiple active and passive backup systems to prevent collisions. And airplanes are separated by both distance (typical is still 5NM) and altitude.

Ground vehicle traffic has none of these safety systems and rely only on on-vehicle cameras and radar (in some versions) to avoid collisions. And there are only two dimensions that a car can use to avoid another car, with both of those axes constrained with immovable objects.

If I have to watch the car drive itself, I'll just drive it myself; it's really not that difficult. Taking responsibility for my own safety eliminates lots of issues with the current level-2 systems. LOL.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
Murf99314114.00
      12-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

As much as there is a large percentage of people on the road who literally shouldn't be driving, the idea of autonomous cars scares the shit out of me. The fact that there are systems out there that require driver monitoring doesn't give me any peace, you just have to watch people crossing the road with their nose in there smartphone to realize people aren't capable of doing two things at once. So drive your damn car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
As much as there is a large percentage of people on the road who literally shouldn't be driving, the idea of autonomous cars scares the shit out of me. The fact that there are systems out there that require driver monitoring doesn't give me any peace, you just have to watch people crossing the road with their nose in there smartphone to realize people aren't capable of doing two things at once. So drive your damn car.
But the folk who aren't paying any attention are still going to drive, so I'd rather there was a computer involved that was at least attempting to not kill everyone.

The problem of what to do if for some reason the car encounters a situation where the morally correct decision it to steer directly at a concrete wall and kill the occupants...that scares the crap out of me, even though I agree with the decision
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Sedoy680.00