Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Should I get a manual car next?
Row row row my own, gently down the street 43 84.31%
Slushbox 4 7.84%
Wut? 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

12-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #67
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

As others have said, get a manual. Unless you don't really enjoy driving, and a car is just an appliance to you, taking you from point A to point B and back again.

Also, with one child and another on the way I say get 4 doors. When my kids were little I had a Supra and it became a real PITA getting out and pulling the front seats forward every time they had to get in and get out. It's so much easier to just open the back doors. Unless your kids won't be riding in your car very much.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317968.50
      12-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
As others have said, get a manual. Unless you don't really enjoy driving, and a car is just an appliance to you, taking you from point A to point B and back again.
Driving/choosing AT or MT isn't a binary decision. BTW, what's the choice really got to do with whether you enjoy driving?

Being in the UK we were brought up with MT, most of us never looked at AT until AT became more sophisticated, and had some really tangible driver adaptation built into the transmission management.

I now drive AT, enjoy driving AT just as much as driving MT. I get a bit of seat time in MT rental and courtesy cars, but would not buy one as a daily driver.

BTW, I go back to driving MT with crash boxes, (no synchromesh) and 3-speed AT. The first AT which grabbed my attention was the ZF 5-speed, made so much sense coupled to a BMW V8.

The 8-speed burrs the lines between choosing AT vs. MT, IMO. We take our pick on how we want to drive, and how much we want to be involved.

Learn to drive an AT properly, explore its finer nuances, and it can be as involving to drive as a stick.

BTW: 35-years owning/driving MT, 19-years owning/driving AT.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317968.50
      12-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #69
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Driving/choosing AT or MT isn't a binary decision. BTW, what's the choice really got to do with whether you enjoy driving?

Being in the UK we were brought up with MT, most of us never looked at AT until AT became more sophisticated, and had some really tangible driver adaptation built into the transmission management.

I now drive AT, enjoy driving AT just as much as driving MT. I get a bit of seat time in MT rental and courtesy cars, but would not buy one as a daily driver.

BTW, I go back to driving MT with crash boxes, (no synchromesh) and 3-speed AT. The first AT which grabbed my attention was the ZF 5-speed, made so much sense coupled to a BMW V8.

The 8-speed burrs the lines between choosing AT vs. MT, IMO. We take our pick on how we want to drive, and how much we want to be involved.

Learn to drive an AT properly, explore its finer nuances, and it can be as involving to drive as a stick.

Glad you're enjoying your AT. Read this thread and you'll see most agree with me, but you do you. BTW, I've been driving for 50+ years now and I think I know the difference between a manual and an auto.
      12-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #70
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:
Wrong thread.

This isn't the LOL thread.
Appreciate 7
Esteban43572.50
stein_325i25083.00
wtwo317968.50
jmack548.50
Red Bread4463.00
Efthreeoh17280.50
nicholasn261.00
      12-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #71
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

It is clear on this thread many love MT driving. I can take the flack, as MT isn't always the best setup for a daily driver. Yes, I see this from a European perspective. Engine and drivetrain combos with a lot of our diesels aren't always best suited to MT anyway. To the point BMW dropped MT on all the bigger diesel engines. Many models, petrol and diesel, haven't had an MT option for years. More new models dropping out all the time. Some of it due to lack of demand, even in M-cars. For example, the F10 M5 never had MT in the UK.

Driving for over 50-years, also teaches me MT can be very varied. Let's be honest, some MT setups are not that slick at all. Poor clutch action and clunky gearshifts. That includes BMW.

If you want something like a G20/21 M340i in the UK, better like AT, as that's all that is on offer. G80 M3, same again, only AT.

We can't say only "non enthusiasts" buy M340i or M3 models in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #72
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Adaptive is not usable for my drives.

Commute is high speed with a lot of congestion, people pull into the spot the adaptive cruise leaves in front of you.

Anyway, I always prefer manual trans. If I have a car without one, it wasn't offered.
Then you and everyone else are driving at distances where they wouldn't be able to react and stop if necessary. Good luck with all that, sounds stressful as hell to commute like that and I want no part of it.
      12-20-2021, 01:50 PM   #73
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
It is clear on this thread many love MT driving. I can take the flack, as MT isn't always the best setup for a daily driver. Yes, I see this from a European perspective. Engine and drivetrain combos with a lot of our diesels aren't always best suited to MT anyway. To the point BMW dropped MT on all the bigger diesel engines. Many models, petrol and diesel, haven't had an MT option for years. More new models dropping out all the time. Some of it due to lack of demand, even in M-cars. For example, the F10 M5 never had MT in the UK.

Driving for over 50-years, also teaches me MT can be very varied. Let's be honest, some MT setups are not that slick at all. Poor clutch action and clunky gearshifts. That includes BMW.

If you want something like a G20/21 M340i in the UK, better like AT, as that's all that is on offer. G80 M3, same again, only AT.

I think a certain transmission is best for a certain car, in that it's not necessarily DCT, manual, automatic, etc. Some of the Porsche models come most alive with a DCT IMO. The old 5spd subaru WRX was the only way to order that car, the 4EAT was a horrible piece of garbage. The luxury smooth 8+gear autos on the big luxury sedans match perfectly and can harness all that torque so well, and on and on. Putting a different transmission in many of these cars results in a much less optimal setup an mismatch in terms of the car's intent, IMO.
      12-20-2021, 01:50 PM   #74
________
________
Rep

Quote:

This isn't what this thread is about either.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #75
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

If the OP is asking the question, "should I get a manual car next?" then he's looking at cars that offer a manual transmission.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
wtwo317968.50
      12-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #76
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
If the OP is asking the question, "should I get a manual car next?" then he's looking at cars that offer a manual transmission.
Yup. For me specifically it would be G80/G87/CT4/5 V BW. Or if someone can help me convince my wife that putting small children in the back of an Evora isn't child abuse.. I'll consider that too.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Esteban43572.50
      12-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #77
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
I thought "pros and cons" are part of the OP's original post.

Sorry... I'll back away and let you control the content of the thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #78
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I've had nothing but autos.... hence the question
If it's for everyday driving and puttering around - personal choice. I have a auto for a DD.

But for a fun car? No question at all. Nothing feels as plugged in as having every single limb engaged as you burn thru the twisties and the only thing holding you in place is your ass cheeks.

As good as auto's are - they will just never feel the same to me. You feel like you are a part of the machine.
Humdizzle6048.00
nicholasn261.00
      12-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #79
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
I thought "pros and cons" are part of the OP's original post.

Sorry... I'll back away and let you control the content of the thread.
I was referring specifically about the "enthusiast" and unavailable cars bit. No one cares what "enthusiasts" feel or prefer or whether cars are available in manual or not. Only about which ones ARE available.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #80
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
If it's for everyday driving and puttering around - personal choice. I have a auto for a DD.

But for a fun car? No question at all. Nothing feels as plugged in as having every single limb engaged as you burn thru the twisties and the only thing holding you in place is your ass cheeks.

As good as auto's are - they will just never feel the same to me. You feel like you are a part of the machine.
Just gotta ask... why would one EVER not drive a fun car? I don't get it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
unluky7521.50
      12-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #81
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So, you really need to expand on this. Are you talking about manually shifting an automatic? I've driven the 6-speed auto that is in the BMW 3-series and in the Cadillac ATS. I've also driven the 8-speed version in both the BMW and ATS. I recently drove the GM/Ford 10-speed automatic in the new Bronco. I do have one automatic transmission vehicle (only because the manual version was unavailable). It was difficult for me to learn how to drive the automatic. I honestly didn't think there was a learning curve needed to drive an automatic transmission, but I found there actually was. I did take driver's education in automatics, and my father's cars that I drove were all automatics (Mom's were all manuals - she was cool, LOL), but his cars were all 3 and 4-speed autos tied to big American V8 engines. I took my driver's license test in a manual. 99.8% of my miles since then have been in manuals.

But "finer nuances" in an automatic? With THAT comment, you have some explaining to do.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #82
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So, you really need to expand on this. Are you talking about manually shifting an automatic? I've driven the 6-speed auto that is in the BMW 3-series and in the Cadillac ATS. I've also driven the 8-speed version in both the BMW and ATS. I recently drove the GM/Ford 10-speed automatic in the new Bronco. I do have one automatic transmission vehicle (only because the manual version was unavailable). It was difficult for me to learn how to drive the automatic. I honestly didn't think there was a learning curve needed to drive an automatic transmission, but I found there actually was. I did take driver's education in automatics, and my father's cars that I drove were all automatics (Mom's were all manuals - she was cool, LOL), but his cars were all 3 and 4-speed autos tied to big American V8 engines. I took my driver's license test in a manual. 99.8% of my miles since then have been in manuals.

But "finer nuances" in an automatic? With THAT comment, you have some explaining to do.
Not sure this is the thread to explain how there are skills to learn with AT, to get the best interaction between driver and machine.

I certainly can explain. How it has a skill level, can be as involving as MT, but in a different way.

For example, how many MT drivers (some who mock the AT) know the intricacies of 'kick-fast', (not kick-down), 'brake evaluation' or what gearshift suppression involves? How we, as drivers, have a direct influence in how we control these functions... to do exactly what we want.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #83
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post

Just gotta ask... why would one EVER not drive a fun car? I don't get it.
One bazillion SUV drivers need to understand this. There's a guy with an orange Urus at our school pickup line. I laugh every time I see it. Even if it's his seventeenth car, every one of those sixteen others has to be more fun.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17280.50
nicholasn261.00
      12-21-2021, 12:35 AM   #84
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

fun car would be manual all day for me. but if i had to drive in congested traffic then i'd pick auto or dct. the only reason to buy a dct or auto is for convenience imo. there is hardly any performance benefit if you have no lift shift and the auto rev match. i got manual gt3 and f80. my 09 civic is an auto, i just throw it in D and cruise cruise to work while listening to a podcast sipping my coffee. its the car to drive when i don't care about driving.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
wtwo317968.50
      12-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #85
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure this is the thread to explain how there are skills to learn with AT, to get the best interaction between driver and machine.

I certainly can explain. How it has a skill level, can be as involving as MT, but in a different way.

For example, how many MT drivers (some who mock the AT) know the intricacies of 'kick-fast', (not kick-down), 'brake evaluation' or what gearshift suppression involves? How we, as drivers, have a direct influence in how we control these functions... to do exactly what we want.
Okay, now you are just making shit up. LOL
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
      12-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #86
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
fun car would be manual all day for me. but if i had to drive in congested traffic then i'd pick auto or dct. the only reason to buy a dct or auto is for convenience imo. there is hardly any performance benefit if you have no lift shift and the auto rev match. i got manual gt3 and f80. my 09 civic is an auto, i just throw it in D and cruise cruise to work while listening to a podcast sipping my coffee. its the car to drive when i don't care about driving.
Woo, soooo much faster.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6048.00
      12-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #87
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Pros of stick:
- More driving engagement = more fun (this is the primary reason) This is significant. To car enthusiasts, driving is an art, it's something to enjoy. You simply cannot compare an automatic to a manual.
- Cheaper if you're looking at used cars, then no, its not cheaper, it's actually much more expensive as they hold their value much more.
- Wife refuses to learn to drive stick I think after she sees how much you enjoy driving your new car, she might actually want to learn. This is something that can be fun in a relationship.

Cons of stick:
- Will I get tired of it after a while? No. You will actually look forward to driving. Think of your boring commute, you put your car into D and it does everything for you other than steer and brake. Now imagine actually enjoying the drive...
- Slower It's actually not. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/. And what if it was? Are you counting the milliseconds on your grocery runs? Of course not. Is this a dedicated track car? Even if it was, is the ultimate purpose to run faster times? If it isn't and you're here to actually enjoy driving, manual FTW
- Wife refuses to learn to drive stick See points above
- Limited options (basically G80, G87, CT4V BW) This is true but also puts you in some really cool & exclusive cars
At the end of the day, don't sell yourself short. Experience driving at it's fullest. This isn't just a status symbol, even though clearly a lot of people buy cars just for that.
________4158.50
wtwo317968.50
nicholasn261.00
Efthreeoh17280.50
      12-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #88
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
Pros of stick:
- More driving engagement = more fun (this is the primary reason) [COLOR="red"]This is significant. To car enthusiasts, driving is an art, it's something to enjoy. You simply cannot compare an automatic to a manual.[/COLOR]
- Cheaper [COLOR="Red"]if you're looking at used cars, then no, its not cheaper, it's actually much more expensive as they hold their value much more.[/COLOR]
- Wife refuses to learn to drive stick [COLOR="red"]I think after she sees how much you enjoy driving your new car, she might actually want to learn. This is something that can be fun in a relationship.[/COLOR]

Cons of stick:
- Will I get tired of it after a while? [COLOR="red"]No. You will actually look forward to driving. Think of your boring commute, you put your car into D and it does everything for you other than steer and brake. Now imagine actually enjoying the drive...[/COLOR]
- Slower [COLOR="red"]It's actually not. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/. And what if it was? Are you counting the milliseconds on your grocery runs? Of course not. Is this a dedicated track car? Even if it was, is the ultimate purpose to run faster times? If it isn't and you're here to actually enjoy driving, manual FTW [/COLOR]
- Wife refuses to learn to drive stick [COLOR="red"]See points above[/COLOR]
- Limited options (basically G80, G87, CT4V BW) [COLOR="red"]This is true but also puts you in some really cool & exclusive cars[/COLOR]
At the end of the day, don't sell yourself short. Experience driving at it's fullest. This isn't just a status symbol, even though clearly a lot of people buy cars just for that.
Close thread.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5507.00