07-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #45
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
^
The fact that BMW is already giving that large of a lease credit is kinda sad. The i3's at the 4 local dealers near me are not selling. They are sitting on lots.

If someone is interested, wait even longer. BMW will put an even larger lease credit towards the end of year. There will be plenty on lots to choose from and inventory will need to be moved.
that $4,875 is the federal tax credit that Bmw Financial Services gets as a commercial entity. If you were to buy the car yourself you'd be getting $7,500 plus whatever state tax credit you might have in your state.

So anyways long story short, still no incentive from Bmw NA on i3...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #46
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderado View Post
that $4,875 is the federal tax credit that Bmw Financial Services gets as a commercial entity. If you were to buy the car yourself you'd be getting $7,500 plus whatever state tax credit you might have in your state.

So anyways long story short, still no incentive from Bmw NA on i3...
gotta pay to play son!

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #47
Boatguy
Rep
Drives: i3 on order

I ran the numbers and the lease is a very poor deal versus buying and getting the full $7,500 tax credit. Kinda strange given that 3yr money rates are very very low.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #48
rod1916
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
I ran the numbers and the lease is a very poor deal versus buying and getting the full $7,500 tax credit. Kinda strange given that 3yr money rates are very very low.
We did the same when buying our I3. We typically lease our second car, but in this case the owners flex (purchase with balloon payment that they buy-out) is a much better option. Same program Tesla is using, we were comparing the two for our purchase. BMW was much more up-front about costs than Tesla, although I wouldn't say the BMW people have enough experience to be experts like the Tesla people were.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #49
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

"Special lease offers"

Posted today by a user on the i3 Facebook page:

"...The thing that finally pushed me over the edge to do the deal today is that I learned that there is some sort of semi-secret "early adopter" lease promotion going on right now that BMW is offering to dealers. In my case, I ended up going for the 24 month, 12k miles per year lease -- and the key benefit of this promotion to me was that is RAISES the residual for that lease up to 62%! Plus you still get the cap cost reduced by the $4,875 credit (as your share of the Federal tax credit) up front, along with whatever you can get knocked off the MSRP.
For me, this made the lease even cheaper than the two year Owner's Choice plan. And that's even after accounting for the fact that I don't get the full federal tax credit. (And yes, I know that by going with a two year lease or even a two year Owners Choice purchase instead of three years, I will not be eligible for the California $2,500 rebate. I wanted to stick with two years just cause I expect the technology is going to change rapidly and the world of EV choices may look radically different in just a couple years.)
Anyway, there are at least two dealers offering this special in the Bay area. They both indicated they got allocated only a limited number of the "vouchers" for this deal, so they are likely to disappear fast. Make your move fast!"
1973 Baikalblau 3.0 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #50
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter
Posted today by a user on the i3 Facebook page:

"...The thing that finally pushed me over the edge to do the deal today is that I learned that there is some sort of semi-secret "early adopter" lease promotion going on right now that BMW is offering to dealers. In my case, I ended up going for the 24 month, 12k miles per year lease -- and the key benefit of this promotion to me was that is RAISES the residual for that lease up to 62%! Plus you still get the cap cost reduced by the $4,875 credit (as your share of the Federal tax credit) up front, along with whatever you can get knocked off the MSRP.
For me, this made the lease even cheaper than the two year Owner's Choice plan. And that's even after accounting for the fact that I don't get the full federal tax credit. (And yes, I know that by going with a two year lease or even a two year Owners Choice purchase instead of three years, I will not be eligible for the California $2,500 rebate. I wanted to stick with two years just cause I expect the technology is going to change rapidly and the world of EV choices may look radically different in just a couple years.)
Anyway, there are at least two dealers offering this special in the Bay area. They both indicated they got allocated only a limited number of the "vouchers" for this deal, so they are likely to disappear fast. Make your move fast!"
Yep just was emailed by my dealer yesterday saying the same thing.

This is what he wrote.

"Christian,
For this month only, potential lessees of the i3 can take advantage of BMW's providing a certificate (of which we have three) that will in effect boost the residual on the i3 7 percent. In round numbers on a $50K i3, $3500 will lower the payment about $100. I recall that you were going to purchase to take full advantage of the tax credits, but if you knew someone who would consider leasing, this might be a good opportunity.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Best Regards,
Kevin."

So who knows what the future may bring
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #51
Boatguy
Rep
Drives: i3 on order

The message from my dealer was not so cryptic or secretive. Somebody's dealer is yanking their chain with the "I only have 3 vouchers" nonsense. The higher residual value of 53% on a BEV (don't know about REx) is being offered for the month of August. No indication of whether it will be continued after August or will revert to 46%.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #52
MpowerLex
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Lease is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #53
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
The message from my dealer was not so cryptic or secretive. Somebody's dealer is yanking their chain with the "I only have 3 vouchers" nonsense. The higher residual value of 53% on a BEV (don't know about REx) is being offered for the month of August. No indication of whether it will be continued after August or will revert to 46%.
Hi Boatguy-

This is one time that there actually was no chain yanking going on- when the program first started last week the dealers were indeed each allocated a set number of vouchers. But the dealers pushed back and BMW changed the terms this week so that it is now unlimited in quantity. And also now open to P1's too.

The only limit seems to be that (at least as of now) you have to go into contract by 9/2.

H
Appreciate 0