BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Regen braking Super dangerous in slick conditions!!!

So has anybody experienced their rear end kicking out when taking their foot off the gas?

It was snowing and the road was slick, coming to a stop sign and let off the gas pedal lightly and the rear swung around on us.

Almost felt like pulling the e-brake. Does the regen braking only happen with the rear wheels? This would be a great situation to have the option to turn off the regen braking.

I corrected the tail out condition but if it where someone not use to snow and bad conditions it's possible an accident could happen.

Now it's important to note I have the 20" wheels with summer tires. So this may not be an issue with better tires. But scary non the less.

Also in ice you never hit the brakes and are supposed to coast to a stop but with the regen it kind of killed that possibility unless I knock it into neutral. But still could be an issue in bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
websterize
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 Sport BEV

In slick, freezing weather, it's your sports tires that are super dangerous, not the regenerative brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Using the 20" summer performance tires in the snow/cold is not a wise decision! Practice feathering the go pedal to minimize regen if you have them, as they have considerably less traction in snow than the all seasons, and those have less than the winter tires. It's a rear-drive vehicle...the motor is only attached to the rear axle...how would the front wheels generate regen?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by websterize
In slick, freezing weather, it's your sports tires that are super dangerous, not the regenerative brakes.
Yea I know that why I noted that!! but in icy conditions even winter tires work for crap!

You get a melt then refreez with snow over it Id like you to think about what you have learned over x amount of years for driving on ice and throw it out the window. Some drivers will not react well and may have bad results as the car behaves different.

Believe me I had blizzacs on my mini and hit icy snow and it was scary !
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
Using the 20" summer performance tires in the snow/cold is not a wise decision! Practice feathering the go pedal to minimize regen if you have them, as they have considerably less traction in snow than the all seasons, and those have less than the winter tires. It's a rear-drive vehicle...the motor is only attached to the rear axle...how would the front wheels generate regen?
Just broght this up as people who may not be that good in snow should know it's a risk, not everyone is used to the regen and won't anticipate things in seconds.

It's how I bought the car and will get winter tires next year. For the states that don't get snow that often and then do someone with the 20" sport tires should use caution.

I haven't had time to break the car down and know everything about it yet, just got it a month ago.

So pleas don't hate.

Another point is this is a factory car, I know the sport tires are not good but to have the rear come around on you is also not good sport tires or not. Hence why it be nice if you could dial it down in bad conditions. That's all. Either way just wanted to put that out their. Winter wheels and tires will be part of the purchase next year.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
(I'll refrain from commenting on the danger of using the summer tires in these conditions, that horse is now deceased, but...) I have noticed a similar issue with the all season tires, and it does take some getting used to, but I have a handle on it now. Feathering the throttle to brake more gently helps, though on a slippery road surface the transition from regenerative braking to no breaking within a fraction of a second if slip is detected is what gets me occasionally. I have opted to stick with all season tires this season, but if you have the storage space and spare cash, winter tires are a wise investment. They're not miracle workers on ice, but every foot counts when you're coming to an emergency stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The difference in stopping distance between the summer performance tires and a full set of winter tires at even 20mph on cold, wet, icy roads, can easily be more than a car length - that can often be the difference between hitting something or not, or sliding into an intersection, or not, or making it around a corner or not. The difference between all-seasons and winter won't be as much, but it is still significant.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
The difference in stopping distance between the summer performance tires and a full set of winter tires at even 20mph on cold, wet, icy roads, can easily be more than a car length - that can often be the difference between hitting something or not, or sliding into an intersection, or not, or making it around a corner or not. The difference between all-seasons and winter won't be as much, but it is still significant.
This is true as my 135is had the Michelin SS and that car was death even with a dusting of snow.

However the point I wanted to make when I started this thread is with just the rear tires braking with regen and not all 4 tires braking it causes unstable issue like that of pulling the ebrake that can cause the rear to want to kick out. Not sure where you drive but even with all seasons if you don't have equal rate of braking on all 4 tires you will have problems in slick conditions.

If people who are new to the regen with this car and who have not experienced this may find it unsettling. My wife is now scared to take it out in bad weather all seasons or not.

I noted I hade the 20" sport tires because I know that's a large issue but someone who has these tires who are below the snow belt and who don't need all seasons may find this info useful in the rare case they get snow.

Like North Carolina and such.

Feathering the gas pedal to minimize regen is an option but not when coming to an intersection as you need to stop.

Not sure if you drive up here In the north but I hope you don't experience this.

Even a poster with non sport tires has experienced this so as far as I am concerned this is an issue where it be nice to be able to turn off the regen braking is slick conditions like on the tesla and leaf.

You seem to really be all about safety so what's wrong with adding options that can help safety in bad weather even with less than adequate tires.

They don't make winter tires or all seasons in my size at the moment so I'm kind of stuck till I can buy 4 wheels and 4 tires witch is a big chunk of change.

Just trying to tell my experience to the community rather than being quiet.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I was just about to ask this question. It seems logical that strong regenerative braking could upset the car in slippery conditions. Too bad the strength of the regen cannot be reduced or turned off.
2018 M5 - maybe next
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

Sounds like a dedicated snow button or drive mode setting would be nice. Something to reduce the regen and maybe also lower the torque output for better off the line traction in snow. Wish there was enough space in the front for Bmw to throw another (tiny) electric motor for all wheel drive traction and all wheel regen braking. Combined with the thin/tall tires, decent ground clearance and low weight, that hypothetical i3 would be a monster in snow...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Switching to one of the Eco modes reduces the throttle response. You'll be less likely to lose traction when starting.

I haven't tried to verify if the car might activate the anti-lock functionality when just slowing with regen...it is smart enough to turn on the brake lights at some point on its own.

I look at it this way...max regen is similar to you pressing the brakes, and neither are a good idea when the roads are slippery...in that case, smoothness and gradual are the thing, and it is very possible, and my normal, to rarely go into max regen force. All it takes is plan ahead and to learn to feather the go pedal in 'normal' driving to become smoother, and I do not think you'll have this issue when it then gets slippery. WIth a true emergency stop, you'd be using the brakes, and I know the ABS works then. Winter tires would help, too, maximizing your available grip, minimizing that possibility.
Appreciate 0