ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
i8 - Mechanical sympathy

The little 1.5L engine is fairly stressed at 150bhp / litre

Not only that but is expected to fire into life and give its all in a second of starting. Have BMW given this engine a chance of a reasonable lifetime ? Oil pre heating or similar.

I for one won't be giving mine when I get it welly without letting the engine run for a while.

That's one of the reasons I didn't go used or ex demo, most owners selling a car they know they aren't keeping are not going to be concerned about engine life !

I've always looked after my cars, had a M3 CSL from new not a single engine problem in 45k miles (including 2k on track shifting at red line) and used no oil between oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
MakisI8
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 pearl white 2014

I believe BMW runs these engines on the bench before they are installed in the car. Turbocharged engines are not stressed at low turbo boost.My M6 Gran coupe lowers the rev limit based on operating temperature.
I suspect the same holds true for the I8.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex View Post
I've always looked after my cars, had a M3 CSL from new not a single engine problem in 45k miles (including 2k on track shifting at red line) and used no oil between oil changes.
Frankly, that's the least you could expect. Anything less would be an affront to German engineering. I think engine technology is at a point now in terms of materials and tolerances that lets them take much more than us old-timers are used to. Think of motorcycle engines on those crotch rockets. 11000 rpm, no sweat. Granted, the parts are smaller and lighter. But still.

There's probably a reason why most cars, even at the performance end of the spectrum, don't come with oil thermometers anymore. Either it's handled automatically, as one post here suggests, or it just doesn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
There's probably a reason why most cars, even at the performance end of the spectrum, don't come with oil thermometers anymore. Either it's handled automatically, as one post here suggests, or it just doesn't matter.
The more gauges the more you get concerned I remember must be nearly 40 years ago a contractor drove me fairly briskly in a VW Sirocco and I was stunned that the oil temp read 140C 285F and that was the middle of the gauge !

Engine oil technology is the savior of engines today I'm sure 30,000 miles between oil changes !!

In the old days (pre 70) it was 3000 and 150 miles per pint of oil was considered not excessive (1963 Mini cooper "S" road test)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Frankly, that's the least you could expect. Anything less would be an affront to German engineering. I think engine technology is at a point now in terms of materials and tolerances that lets them take much more than us old-timers are used to. Think of motorcycle engines on those crotch rockets. 11000 rpm, no sweat. Granted, the parts are smaller and lighter. But still.

I think of this every time I rev my V10 to 8250 RPM! That is a lot of moving mass!
Appreciate 0