BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I-phone connectivity in the i8 Roadster is soooo frustrating

My last 2 cars were the 6 series and the i8 coupe and now the i8 Roadster and I have never had this issue in any of my bmw's.

The bluetooth is connected to the car and here are the issues...

1) If I am in the middle of a podcast and someone calls me once the call is over the podcast restarts instead of continuing where it left off

2) A lot of times while listening to music suddenly it stops playing and looks like the bluetooth disconnected then itll reconnect, then disconnect. This is sooo frustrating.

3) I will put on a song from my phone and on my apple music it will play however on the bmw screen is wont be playing until i get out of that screen then go back to the phone on the dash. Then it will also play in the car.

4) Sometimes a song will play then I will switch to the next song using the next song button on the car but nothing will happen. If i click next song on the phone then it will go to the next song in the car.

5) A new song will come on yet on the dash it still shows the previous song and artist even though a new song is playing.

All in all this is such a frustrating thing to go through especially considering the sticker price on this is $167k.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I've found sound skipping issues common on the new Roadster. Not had this on the original coupe. Although the Bluetooth connection itself is flakey on both cars, and more so on the original. Rather poor really.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Playing audio via bluetooth on my car also is a circus. It never works properly, I never use it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

MP3's on a USB Thumb Drive. (I'm using a 256GB Thumb Drive which easily fits my entire library)

Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

No, not problem solved...just circumvented.

You can also copy the MP3s to the HDD in the car. But only 20GB IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
No, not problem solved...just circumvented.

You can also copy the MP3s to the HDD in the car. But only 20GB IIRC.
Nothing like trying to manage those files on the crazy small internal HDD! Ever try to delete, update, or add a single file to the HDD? How about an entire folder?

If you use a very small Thumb Drive (I'm actually using a MicroSDCard on a USB adapter), then all you have to do is pull it out of the car and take it to your PC to update its contents through a full blown GUI. Add, delete, replace files, modify their names and internal mp3 tags, etc. The HDD is such a limiting space to store music...

I can't think of a single example where the internal HDD does anything better than a simple USB thumb drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I have a USB drive also with music but at the end of the day this isnt a $10k car. A $167k car should not have issues of this magnitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

With something like this tiny $9 USB 3.0 adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Rocketek-Alum...ateway&sr=8-14

...all you need is a MicroSD card of your chosen capacity (I'm using a 256GB card). You don't really need a "hard drive" at all!

I can then move the USB device from car to car, to any of my PC(s) or laptops, or take the MicroSD card out and slide it into my phone.

It also makes it real easy to maintain multiple copies of the same microSD card so you can have a couple "in use" at any time. I maintain the master copy of my MP3 library on my server and microSD card copies in my phone, backpack, and car(s)...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

...or if the Bluetooth phone connectivity worked properly, none of these work-arounds would be needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
...or if the Bluetooth phone connectivity worked properly, none of these work-arounds would be needed.
Sure, I get that... But, for me, its NOT a "work-around". Its simply a much better solution to begin with!

I think maintaining a master library of MP3's is the way to go in any case, whether I'm streaming music from a microSDCard in my phone (via Bluetooth), or directly from a USB reader with the microSDCard in it...

Having a file-based library of MP3's gives you much more flexibility than being a slave to iTunes (and all its DRM). Easy to upload files INTO iTunes, but ever try to get your stuff back out? Good for Apple, Bad for you.

Additionally, if you are serving your music up to iDrive via a USB device, it also frees up your phone do do other things (like being a phone, running Waze, etc).
Appreciate 0