01-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #67
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken997 View Post
Yes the door pops open a few millimeters when I phsh the botton on the driver's door, but it wont fully release the door. Ill try have a mate pull on the door while i pull the cord. That should do it..
Please let us know if you were able to get the door open. I'm curious what may be causing this issue.
      01-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #68
murthy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Protonic Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post
Happened to me just once, but I was extremely low on fuel. Never happened again since.

Don't fret, it's very simple to pop the boot and pull the manual release if it is causing issues until fixed.
This is what I did few times when I had the same problem!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #69
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora, BMW i8

This might be oversimplifying a solution from a guy who doesnt currently own an i8, but is the latching component removable from the lid in a way so that we can permanently affix it to the locking mechanism? That way we can just lift up the lid without the need to unlock it when we need to refuel? The lid could be held close using magnets mounted inside. Would that cause any damage or throw errors if we continuously override the fuel door and refuel before the pressure check is completed? A few of our Lotus have had an issue with stuck solenoid that prevents our fuel doors from opening, and that was our solution to it.

Last edited by lockescow; 01-29-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #70
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockescow View Post
This might be oversimplifying a solution from a guy who doesnt currently own an i8, but is the latching component removable from the lid in a way so that we can permanently affix it to the locking mechanism? That way we can just lift up the lid without the need to unlock it when we need to refuel? The lid could be held close using magnets mounted inside. Would that cause any damage or throw errors if we continuously override the fuel door and refuel before the pressure check is completed? A few of our Lotus have had an issue with stuck solenoid that prevents our fuel doors from opening, and that was our solution to it.
The fuel door has a latch, where you have to push on the door to pop it open, and then push on the door to latch it. So that part works well to keep the fuel door flush with the body of the car, regardless of the other component (which is basically a lock).

The other component (the lock) is an electro-mechanical pin on the vehicle, that slides into a loop in the fuel door. If we cut the plastic loop out of the fuel door, the door will still latch, using the above method of pushing it to open or close it, but it will never stay locked. I think this is the solution we all need to implement in order to prevent being locked out of the fuel filler.
      02-04-2020, 12:52 AM   #71
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

So you mean to cut this one? Yeah, I think this could work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #72
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

you may not need to cut the entire nub off at all. maybe cut a small piece from the bottom of the loop just enough to clear the pin. I would add a magnet to the lid, just in case the lid doesn't stay closed without the pin in place, unless the lid push-in-out can stay closed and release without the pin locking mechanism...
Attached Images

Last edited by lockescow; 02-04-2020 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:01 AM   #73
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Sure not to cut the whole thing. Magnet is not used, I think.
I won't do it, bc mine was fixed at the dealer last year. If it comes again, I will cut it, as I have no more warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:53 AM   #74
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockescow View Post
you may not need to cut the entire nub off at all. maybe cut a small piece from the bottom of the loop just enough to clear the pin. I would add a magnet to the lid, just in case the lid doesn't stay closed without the pin in place, unless the lid push-in-out can stay closed and release without the pin locking mechanism...
Yep, only the end of the loop needs to be cut off. The magnet won't be required since it's held onto the car by another catch that you push the door to pop open and push again to latch. I don't know how to better describe this but it is completely functional for holding the door shut. This loop is only for the locking mechanism and can be cut off.
      02-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #75
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Sure not to cut the whole thing. Magnet is not used, I think.
I won't do it, bc mine was fixed at the dealer last year. If it comes again, I will cut it, as I have no more warranty.
If you are unable to open the fuel door with the emergency release, the only way to get into the fuel door is to break it open. BMW shows diagrams of using an air bladder and pump, similar to a blood pressure cuff, to create enough pressure under the door to break that loop. I'm tempted to make relief cuts into the loop so it's easier to break if need be.
      02-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #76
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

I wonder where the wiring goes for whatever drives the electro magnetic pin? Would be nice to disconnect it in the open position.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #77
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain123 View Post
I wonder where the wiring goes for whatever drives the electro magnetic pin? Would be nice to disconnect it in the open position.

Seeing how involved the whole depressurization process is and the amount of work they went above and beyond for, i would think doing this might trigger warnings and errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 05:31 AM   #78
energetic
Rep
Drives: German and Japanese Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
This whole fuel door lock is turning out to be a pain. Considering leaving the car for days at the dealer and still having the possibility of the pressure sensor failing again after the repair.... thinking of a permanent solution.

The fueling system knows that the fuel door is closed because of a small magnet located on the door that trips a reed switch when the door is closed. After the door is closed the system activates a small plastic pin that passes through a hole on a plastic tab on the door to lock the door shut. If you block the hole, the pin mechanism is unable to extend and lock the door, but the check engine light illuminates.

But if you open up the hole in the small plastic tab, then the pin can be activated when the door is closed and the system is happy, but the door won’t be locked.

The door is then never locked and there is no reason to activate the refueling button on the drivers door panel ever again. The fuel door will stay closed just like the door on the charging port which has no locking mechanism. Just press on the fuel door and it will pop open as always, then remove the fuel cap for refueling.

I don’t need to lock the fuel door for vandalism or fuel theft concerns.

Opening the fuel tank while it might still be pressurized or under a vacuum, ( not sure which) is not an issue. The locking mechanism is likely only for emission reasons to keep a few hydrocarbons from escaping.

I think this will be my solution when the system starts to fail on a regular basis.

It’s a free, permanent fix that takes 2 minutes to accomplish.
Not owing an i8 yet, but as I was going through the forum threads it looks what you described is a simple solution (even with no magnets) that will not give you a CEL in the end, unless I’m mistaken here.
      02-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #79
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

I removed the right rear wheel and wheel wells (arches) and could see a plastic actuator, a plastic rod and the plastic pin that extends into the fuel door. I also saw the plastic green "cable" that runs from the actuator rod to the trunk. I pulled on the actuator rod and it makes a gear-spinning noise in the actuator mechanism. It unlocked the fuel door so I could push it and open it without any issues. I then closed the fuel door and pushed the actuator rod back into the actuator, which made a gear noise and everything went back into place without issue.

Is it possible to open the lock then unplug the actuator? Yes. I don't know if this will throw a trouble code but I'm going to try it. If this doesn't work, I'm planning on developing procedures to take the actuator out of it's clipped-in location and mount it somewhere else, so it can still be connected to the wiring harness and operate, but it won't actually do anything to prevent the fuel door from being opened.
      02-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #80
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I guarantee you, if you unplug the locking pin actuator it will throw a fault code and illuminate the check engine light.
Relocating the actuator to a different location would work, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary effort. Your never going to reinstall it in the original location again anyway.
Two minutes with a dremel and the problem is solved forever. Cutting off the latch on the fuel door is not going to affect the value of the vehicle one bit. Its already gone down the tube.

Last edited by Coastali8; 02-12-2020 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #81
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

I found a way to remove the operating rod between the actuator and the fuel door, that way I can put it back if I ever want to.