BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Got up this morning had the car set for a 7:30am departure (pre condition). -4 degrees and had a total range of 37 miles with 100% charge.

Now that was a bit of a shock! Didn't think it could drop by 50%, Drove 6 miles to work and then pre conditioned again at 11 and now the range was 21 miles.

So I can say the cold especially negative numbers definitely hits this guy badly.

Any of you northerners experiencing drops like this? I'm in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

wow - I thought the 57 mile range at 25-35 degrees F was poor that I received recently in Austin
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Slmarcus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i xDrive 6MT AW/CR

I have seen my stated range drop to 44 miles in near zero degree weather. There were a few -10 days that I decided not to drive it for fear of not making it to work and back!
Past: '14 i01 i3 BEV Tera Capparis White
Current: '17 F30 340i xDrive 6MT AW/CR
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmarkymark
I have seen my stated range drop to 44 miles in near zero degree weather. There were a few -10 days that I decided not to drive it for fear of not making it to work and back!
It's crazy as Bmw touted how their was near no range loss in cold climate but I guess even the new batteries have their limits. I just hadn't heard of this drastic amount of range drop in all my readings. Oh well. Just have to be more prepared in the crazy cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
RayI
Too Torquey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedona 135i

Range reduction in cold temps

I have a Volt and am noticing the same behavior ~ 50% reduction in range at extreme low temps. I guess all batteries obey same laws of physics.
      01-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
I see the same reduction in range under normal operations, but I don't think the batteries themselves are at fault. Preconditioning uses a lot power, and so does regular heat while driving in 0-10F weather a lot of us have been seeing. I have driven on eco pro plus once (can't say I recommend it in this weather) but I had a 65-70 mile range. Therefore I would conclude that it's the constant draw on the system, not the batteries themselves holding less charge or draining on their own.

Last edited by Doenermann; 01-14-2015 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There is a significant difference between the REx and the BEV in this regard...the BEV in the USA comes standard with a heat pump which is 2-4x more efficient in heating the cabin than the resistance heating from the REx.

When I precondition mine, I see a draw of up to 20A at 245vac by my EVSE, but it doesn't stay that high all of the time. Still, it's significant, but does seem to drop off as the car warms up - typically to 12A this morning when it was in the teens, and maybe as low as 5A when it is warmer.

How your drive plays a big part in the power usage. The range indication is based on the last 18-miles or so of your driving, and that could be quite different from your upcoming trip, so may not be very accurate. I've seen mine stay nearly constant while driving 7-10 miles when my use pattern changes (i.e., not dropping at all). And, I've seen it go the other way, dropping a fair number after only driving a few miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann
I see the same reduction in range under normal operations, but I don't think the batteries themselves are at fault. Preconditioning uses a lot power, and so does regular heat while driving in 0-10F weather a lot of us have been seeing. I have driven on eco pro plus once (can't say I recommend it in this weather) but I had a 65-70 mile range. Therefore I would conclude that it's the constant draw on the system, not the batteries themselves holding less charge or draining on their own.
Yea I understand the preconditioning takes power but this was 37 miles of range while plugged into the wall and set off first drive, when it was warmer you bet it was holding fast around 80 then when the whether dipped its hanging around 60 or so, that's why when I got it and it was 37 range with the heat set to 66 for cabin heat temp I was a bit shocked by how far it had fallen .... I mean it's still useful for me but for others who may have a 40 to 50 mile commute I'd have a bit of trouble feeling at ease. Otherwise all is good
Appreciate 0