BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Has anyone had a strange noise emitting from their BEV i3?

It sounds like one of those electric air pumps or a little aquarium pump. It's kinda loud and a bit annoying.

It seems to be coming from the back of the car and as soon as I get out of the car it turns off.

Any ideas ?

This just started happening.

Many thanks to anyone with any ideas.

Either way it's going back to the dealer next week for some service issues and I'll have them look at it. Luckily I took video.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The BEV has a heat pump, and it is a compressor (for refrigerant). This time of year when providing heat, it is working overtime. It's actually located in the front-right under the frunk. Next time, double-check to see the noise is actually coming from there. Other than that, no idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
The BEV has a heat pump, and it is a compressor (for refrigerant). This time of year when providing heat, it is working overtime. It's actually located in the front-right under the frunk. Next time, double-check to see the noise is actually coming from there. Other than that, no idea.
Yea it's silent up front it's definitely coming from the rear
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I do not know how the car actually heats/cools the batteries, but that's likely in the rear. It shows electric resistance heaters (only used, I think, during times it's attached to external power), and it should not be needing cooling for most this time of year...so, no idea!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
I do not know how the car actually heats/cools the batteries, but that's likely in the rear. It shows electric resistance heaters (only used, I think, during times it's attached to external power), and it should not be needing cooling for most this time of year...so, no idea!
Yea I'll have it looked at, drove by the dealer and they have never heard the noise before so I'm dropping it off next week, hopefully nothing to serious.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I believe it is a coolant pump for the batteries to pump after vehicle stop. Somewhat similar idea to a turbo timer except the whole car isn't on.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertg21
I believe it is a coolant pump for the batteries to pump after vehicle stop. Somewhat similar idea to a turbo timer except the whole car isn't on.
Ok cool! It's at the dealer now and their getting BMW involved to figure it out so I'll let you know what they tell me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

You took the car in over a noise?

Hate the dealer having my car.

I'd just turn the music up.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut

No actually it was in first because the leather on the dash started to delaminate and the shock towers were squeaking, it's back because the mechanics failed to clean their hands while putting my "A" pillar trim back in leaving black hand marks everywhere and also gouging interior panels which their now replacing because I caught it.

Otherwise I try to avoid the dealer as well.

But I didn't pay over 50k for a car to live with a de laminating leather dash or weird noises, First electric car, if I and the dealer don't know what the noise is I'm gonna leave it with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:

No actually it was in first because the leather on the dash started to delaminate and the shock towers were squeaking, it's back because the mechanics failed to clean their hands while putting my "A" pillar trim back in leaving black hand marks everywhere and also gouging interior panels which their now replacing because I caught it.

But I didn't pay over 50k for a car to live with a de laminating leather dash or weird noises, First electric car, if I and the dealer don't know what the noise is I'm gonna leave it with them.
Seriously why must the Tech's be so careless. They did that same thing to one of my door panels. I will only use a master tech now.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:

Seriously why must the Tech's be so careless. They did that same thing to one of my door panels. I will only use a master tech now.
Tell me about it !

I second that!

You would think at 125$ an hour they would use more care.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just got off the phone with the dealer, looks like they opened a PUMA case on the car as both BMW and the dealer don't like the noise.

They at first thought it had something to do with the batteries but have ruled that out and are looking at other causes but it's not normal and are digging deeper.

Cool thing was they said BMW got back to them right away which they have been noticing with the "I" cars the other bmw's sometimes takes a few days.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Just got off the phone with the dealer, looks like they opened a PUMA case on the car as both BMW and the dealer don't like the noise.

They at first thought it had something to do with the batteries but have ruled that out and are looking at other causes but it's not normal and are digging deeper.

Cool thing was they said BMW got back to them right away which they have been noticing with the "I" cars the other bmw's sometimes takes a few days.
Nice, glad to hear things are moving along. I took mine in last week for a drivetrain malfunction message that popped up occasionally, turns out I needed a new high voltage battery cable of some sort. does not make me feel any better..... Good luck! keep us posted on yours!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Turned out to be a failed AC motor/pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Turned out to be a failed AC motor/pump.
Wow good to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any idea how to post a video ? Or I can send someone the video to post! Just thought I'd make the video available to anybody out their to view it to help them diagnose if this fails on them. It was funny as the dealer called me in the beginning saying it was my Rex motor turning on and when I said it was a BEV and not a Rex they were like "oh"!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #17
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Any idea how to post a video ? Or I can send someone the video to post! Just thought I'd make the video available to anybody out their to view it to help them diagnose if this fails on them. It was funny as the dealer called me in the beginning saying it was my Rex motor turning on and when I said it was a BEV and not a Rex they were like "oh"!
If you are using a phone ad the app to your phone you can ad attachments then with ease.

The BEV is the only way to fly.

Quicker too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
If you are using a phone ad the app to your phone you can ad attachments then with ease.

The BEV is the only way to fly.

Quicker too.
I looked and can only see the pic attachment not video.

I have the app and can't find the video, do I have to upload it to YouTube or something ?

Or can you attach a video with the app as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

You can use a link if you put it on YouTube...while watching it afterwards, you get several options to embed the player as well, if I remember properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
That's funny, my initial thought was you were describing the scooter engine sound of the REx, but I'm glad it's diagnosed and resolved either way. Slightly off topic, but diagnosis / repair related - my high voltage cable replacement signaled by a drivetrain malfunction message wasn't quite everything, they also needed to get condensation out of an EMI module which apparently can come this way from the factory. It's a 3 hour process which requires human intervention every half hour, and is hopefully done by Monday. More off topic - much hate for the rex i feel, but as an only car now that my 7 is gone i have needed the rex occasionally in this cold weather and feel I made the right choice for me. Besides, the extra weight on the rear axle could have been helpful on snow, it performed very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #21
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann
That's funny, my initial thought was you were describing the scooter engine sound of the REx, but I'm glad it's diagnosed and resolved either way. Slightly off topic, but diagnosis / repair related - my high voltage cable replacement signaled by a drivetrain malfunction message wasn't quite everything, they also needed to get condensation out of an EMI module which apparently can come this way from the factory. It's a 3 hour process which requires human intervention every half hour, and is hopefully done by Monday. More off topic - much hate for the rex i feel, but as an only car now that my 7 is gone i have needed the rex occasionally in this cold weather and feel I made the right choice for me. Besides, the extra weight on the rear axle could have been helpful on snow, it performed very well.
No hate for the Rex my friend! I would have gone that route myself but then the thought of never needing maintenance was a cool plus, after driving it all winter the Rex would have been great many many times but alas I made my decision and sticking to it. After finding the range dropped by almost 50% in frigid weather was kind of a let down but also kind of expected.

Just had to change and adapt a little bit but doable. We have a countryman for the longer trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #22
LowOnCash
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 - I3 - I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

This is why I hate to bring my car to a dealer --don't matter how much you spend - each car gets treated like a Ford Fiesta!
Appreciate 0