BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

03-31-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

State of Illinois just stopped their EV incentives

All $ 4000 dollars of it and it affects all 2014 purchases as well. So even if you sent in all paperwork last year till now you SOL! Not even at the deadline of June this year. They could have at least road it out till the end of the program shutoff date.

Hmmmmmm. Wish you could go class action but hey whatever !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Did they reach a pre-determined limit?

While the federal tax credit may look like forever...unless extended, it is also limited based on the number of vehicles sold by a manufacturer, or the end date of the law.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
Did they reach a pre-determined limit?

While the federal tax credit may look like forever...unless extended, it is also limited based on the number of vehicles sold by a manufacturer, or the end date of the law.
Nope new governor ! He's slashing all green incentives, and from what I hear he's not keen on green power or green technology. So he's wiped out a lot of the systems that made Illinois a green technology leader in some areas and wiping out all incentives now to further the cause.

What sucks is instead of honoring all purchases made in 2014 he's wiping those off as well so if you bought a car in 2014 thinking you'll get the rebate your out of luck

The end date of the incentive hasn't even been hit yet, the rule is you have to submit your paperwork before 1 year of owning the car. The state then has a cut off date of June 30 and another later in the year as they process the incentives 2 times a year. They just got rid of it out of the blue ....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

It's very unfortunate! As to politics...the USA has some of the worst election participation rates in the world. We get what we deserve - the majority that voted, got what they asked for. If more people actually took an interest in what essentially controls their lives, maybe things wouldn't be as they are. It happens everywhere. Our condo association has 60 units...the bylaws call for only 20 to be a quorum. We have not had a quorum for three years to pass the budget, people can't even send in a proxy. Sad, since it determines what their homes will be like and what it costs.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

It's the new governor. He's pulling all stops on the cash bleed to save the state from going bankrupt...
      04-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356
It's the new governor. He's pulling all stops on the cash bleed to save the state from going bankrupt...
Yup it's a good thing. Just sucks !
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Their should be no incentives for any cars. It's a rip of on other tax payers.

At least in my country their is non on any products for import or export. If you cannot own a business and make money without incentives you close the doors.

Dumping products for sale in New Zealand is illegal.

If you see any produces for sale from New Zealand you know it is a true price not subsidised.
      04-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Their should be no incentives for any cars. It's a rip of on other tax payers.

At least in my country their is non on any products for import or export. If you cannot own a business and make money without incentives you close the doors.

Dumping products for sale in New Zealand is illegal.

If you see any produces for sale from New Zealand you know it is a true price not subsidised.
They use incentive to push or make products more appealing to get the technology out their. Theirs nothing wrong with it, it's a privilege not a right but it's nice while their their.

The U.S. Gov gives incentives on any green teck you put into your house like a geothermal heater, solar and all that jazz. Whether or not you don't believe in rebates would you not use it if given ?

I'd have bought the car regardless but it does move cars as it makes the ev's more attractive as it brings their cost more in line with ICE vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Their should be no incentives for any cars. It's a rip of on other tax payers. ... you know it is a true price not subsidised.
Hmmm ....
An apparent lack of incentives is almost always reconfigured into other forms of "assistance."

New Zealand's structure is certainly more straightforward than the arguable mess that is in the US, but the NZ code definitely provides for the reduction or elimination of taxes in some situations.

According to the NZ government website - http://www.ird.govt.nz/
GST (goods and services) details at http://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/info-help/glossary/#dgs

A broad overview of the process is set out at https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li.../nz-tax-system

For instance -
Financial transactions and export sales are not taxed in the same manner as "goods" and/or "services" for the most part
Capital gains are "generally not on New Zealand investments but applies to foreign debt and equity investments"
Retirement "distributions are tax free."
Mortgage interest is taxed "except for investment property"
and so forth. (Emphasis added in italics, above.)

The multiple tax "credits" detailed are ways for people and companies to pay less taxes than what would result from a straight application of the base tax rate. Whether reductions in taxes are termed a "subsidy" or a "credit" or a "deduction" is immaterial when looked at as a way of reducing the tax liability for a specific reason and/or specific group.

And any such targeted reductions in tax revenue results in "other" taxpayers picking up the slack.

This is nice, BTW - "Kia ora haere mai."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

There are useful society benefits from promoting emission free motoring, so providing an incentive to an individual that chooses to implement them, can benefit many people. Without that incentive, the penetration of the technology would not be as large. This is especially true in areas where the geological layout tends to focus buildup of pollutants. As an example, both Los Angeles and Denver sit in a bowl, and inversions trap pollutants. It's nice to not generate them in the first place. Major cities like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, all benefit from EVs.
Appreciate 0