Garage List
BMW and Apple were in talks over the i3

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW and Apple were in talks over the i3
COMMENTS
Name:  applecar.jpg
Views: 6206
Size:  397.4 KB

MacRumors is reporting that Project Titan was/is infact a real project aimed at creating the so called Apple Car and that Apple was in talks to create and alliance with BMW. This alliance would use the i3 as the basis of the Apple Car.

This is all purportedly in the past tense now as many rumors have pointed to talks being called off in the last year. Nevertheless it is an interesting idea, namely packing one of BMWs more advanced architecture/drivetrain setups with the latest Apple OS and connectivity solutions. This would probably be the ultimate riding machine for those who simply see a car as a conveyance or a place to be while communting to work.

Why did the deal not go forward at this time? No one knows and everything is speculation. But you can guess that Apples need for complete control over the product would easily clash with BMWs plans to expand the BMW i range and further develop the i3 in their own mold/ideas.

07-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

So much click bait over this. Car companies are "in talks" all the time, nbd.

It makes sense that Apple would want to start their investigations with the car that has the most technically advanced mass production process in the world. I'd be more surprised if they didn't sniff around the i3!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

Just adding the Apple name would bring an additional exorbitant markup! Glad they scrapped the idea. Don't want to see a giant apple rolling around town.

Last edited by numba1guju; 08-04-2015 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju
Just adding the Apple name would bring an exorbitant markup! Glad they scrapped the idea. Don't want to see a giant apple rolling around town.

Because there's no markup on the BMW name
Appreciate 7
      07-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
Because there's no markup on the BMW name
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

So funny to read this, as I have always thought that the i3 in white could simply be an Apple iCar if it had a different badge and grille. The styling is VERY Apple.

It would mean a much higher price no doubt, as Apple love massive mark ups. But would also sell 10x more cars...of the same car

Glad they didn't do it, for both those reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Parise2713
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 FBO E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju
Just adding the Apple name would bring an exorbitant markup! Glad they scrapped the idea. Don't want to see a giant apple rolling around town.

Lol

Padnydetailing.com

IG/ Facebook: Padnydetailing
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
metalspork
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M235i

I actually think the i3 is too polarizing a design for Apple to go with it. Some people like the futuristic style, but most people I know think it's ugly. The Tesla Model S or perhaps the upcoming Model III would likely fall more in line with Apple's current design aesthetic of sleek, thin, and mass appeal.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalspork View Post
I actually think the i3 is too polarizing a design for Apple to go with it. Some people like the futuristic style, but most people I know think it's ugly.
I think it is ugly, but speaking with people it seems the vast majority like it.

Anyway, if they had stuck an Apple badge on it, all the Apple fans would have said it is the best car design in history

Look at the (ugly and pointless) Apple Watch for evidence
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Talk is talk...

The i3 is awesome, but to expensive overall.

Even Apple will have a hard time keeping costs down to make a profit.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH
Quote:
I actually think the i3 is too polarizing a design for Apple to go with it. Some people like the futuristic style, but most people I know think it's ugly.
I think it is ugly, but speaking with people it seems the vast majority like it.

Anyway, if they had stuck an Apple badge on it, all the Apple fans would have said it is the best car design in history

Look at the (ugly and pointless) Apple Watch for evidence
I'd put my money on the fact you have never owned any Apple products.

Appreciate 2
      07-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #13
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Googli3 might be a better direction for talks to be going.......googly 3 fits the car since it is kinda ugly anyway, lol

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Glad BMW didn't partner with them. I didn't want to be an iDiot paying extra to have an Apple logo on my i3.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
chillp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 (Sedan)

I was given an i3 as a loaner last time I was in for service. I had the car for several days. The range could be improved, but overall I think BMW did a fantastic job. It's a great commuter car and even though I've never been impressed by its looks, most people I came across really liked it.

| **PREVIOUS** | 2012 E92 M3 | ZCP | DCT | Jerez Black | Black Novillo |
| **PREVIOUS** | 2014 F13 M6 | DCT | Black Sapphire | Black Extended Merino |
| **CURRENT** | 2011 E90 M3 | ZCP | 6MT | Space Gray | Black Novillo |
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I'd put my money on the fact you have never owned any Apple products.

You make too many assumptions....and just lost your (virtual) money
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Please wait, your i3 requires an updated using 95% of your cars remaining memory. It will now run like dog until you buy the next version. Enjoy.

I use apple products by the way but am delighted how the i3 and i8 worked out on their own with BMW.
      07-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #18
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Talk is talk...

The i3 is awesome, but to expensive overall.

Even Apple will have a hard time keeping costs down to make a profit.
Sure, owning 95% of smartphone market profit, Apple has "a hard time keeping costs down".

Apple the most overpriced and overrated brand the world has ever seen (after Tesla).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Sure, owning 95% of smartphone market profit, Apple has "a hard time keeping costs down".

Apple the most overpriced and overrated brand the world has ever seen (after Tesla).
I respectfully disagree. For years they defined and revolutionized what everyone now takes for granted. Past few years they have been coasting and even declining. Technologically and in daily use there have been few companies as impactful as Apple, whether you like their product or use any one of a number of direct rip offs (Windows, Android, modern tablets, modern music players, ultra portable laptops). They also revived or moved forward many manufacturing techniques that are now common (gorilla glass, unibody aluminum laptop frames, high dpi displays).

Tesla: jury is out.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #20
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually think the i3 is too polarizing a design for Apple to go with it. Some people like the futuristic style, but most people I know think it's ugly. The Tesla Model S or perhaps the upcoming Model III would likely fall more in line with Apple's current design aesthetic of sleek, thin, and mass appeal.
Well, they said the i3 would be the base, so it would likely have looked entirely different. Similar to how Mini and BMW have totally different cars that share platform, or the various VAG brands. It would have been an i3 is powertrsin and size, but that's probably it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Yes, but the reason for that is because Apple has been one of the most biggest innovators - think about how they revolutionized listening to music with the ipod and then revolutionized the smartphone with the iphone. Prior to the iphone, Blackberry dominated the smartphone market and Nokia dominated the remaining phone market. Apple's iphone drove both into the ground. Apple's easy to use user interfaces have set the standard for every device and have been copied by just about everyone.
      07-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
The i3 is a cleanly designed, futuristic vehicle displaying what BMWi can do with technology, design, and electric performance. Everyone I know in person thinks the i3 is a really well designed vehicle with bang on performance. The only people who don't say that are faceless users on the Internet. I've driven one for days and it makes my other BMW's feel lethargic and less nimble.

Just curious, but how do you know what falls more in line with Apple's current design aesthetic? I would think that Apple values better build quality with even small things like buttons, switches, and material application which clearly the Tesla Model S is lacking. Also, BMWi seems to have not made even the back seat an afterthought unlike Tesla with plenty of headroom and comfort. Even with good old regular BMW, the 7 Series of 20 years ago has a better designed and well thought out back seat versus the Tesla Model S. Could have sworn Apple values thinking everything through and not making something an afterthought, but maybe that's just me.

I haven't seen anyone on any forum point out the fact that BMWi is a separate division of BMW. Can't understand why people think that BMW and BMWi are one in the same. Heck, in all BMW's marketing material, they are clearly stating that they "borrowed" technology and items like CFRP processes and design architecture from BMWi.

Appreciate 2