BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Anybody else get snubbed by tesla drivers?

Got my second tesla driver give me two thumbs down today while driving past him, Didn't give him any reaction, kinda just wanted to swerve at him but held my own. Man why the hate, Oh well.

EV on EV hate ......funny how musk wanted more ev's on the road from all manufacturers and his customers seem to hate any EV that's not tesla.

Sheesh!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Got my second tesla driver give me two thumbs down today while driving past him, Didn't give him any reaction, kinda just wanted to swerve at him but held my own. Man why the hate, Oh well.

EV on EV hate ......funny how musk wanted more ev's on the road from all manufacturers and his customers seem to hate any EV that's not tesla.

Sheesh!
That's really interesting, no matter what EV I have driven (Leaf, i3, i8, Roadster) I have gotten nothing but acknowledgment from other Tesla drivers in MD.

Is it a local thing in your state?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali
Quote:

Sheesh!
That's really interesting, no matter what EV I have driven (Leaf, i3, i8, Roadster) I have gotten nothing but acknowledgment from other Tesla drivers in MD.

Is it a local thing in your state?
Maybe, funny the only other car I've ever gotten thumbs down in was the smart but I can understand that.

Where I live Teslas's are as prevalent as Honda accords their everywhere. See a few every day.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Think about the Tesla. One or two big electric motors. A ton and a half of batteries. An interior that has a large laptop computer screen awkwardly between the center console and the dashboard. And an exterior design between a Buick and a refrigerator.

It's not a technological nor a design tour de force. It's an ugly car with a lot of battery.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Got my second tesla driver give me two thumbs down today while driving past him, [...]
Around these parts, the (relatively) few EV drivers tend to smile at and commiserate with each other. Regardless of the brand.

Having said that, just because you buy brand X doesn't make you any more or less of a douche-bag than you were before the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Think about the Tesla. One or two big electric motors. A ton and a half of batteries. An interior that has a large laptop computer screen awkwardly between the center console and the dashboard. And an exterior design between a Buick and a refrigerator.

It's not a technological nor a design tour de force. It's an ugly car with a lot of battery.
Who is a hater now ?!

Tesla's exterior design is gorgeous. Performance and handling are outstanding.
So is i8's.
i3's exterior is ... quirky. Handling needs all the help it can get.

a
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Around these parts, the (relatively) few EV drivers tend to smile at and commiserate with each other. Regardless of the brand.

Having said that, just because you buy brand X doesn't make you any more or less of a douche-bag than you were before the purchase.

Who is a hater now ?!

Tesla's exterior design is gorgeous. Performance and handling are outstanding.
So is i8's.
i3's exterior is ... quirky. Handling needs all the help it can get.

a
Actually I don't think that was hate, but a statement of opinion. Which is a little different. For example I do not consider the performance or handling of the Model S to be "outstanding." When I accelerate in the P85D the front of the car VISIBLY LIFTS. This is not outstanding performance, rather way too much horse power for the chassis/suspension.

The handling is good for a big sedan, but I wouldn't call it outstanding.

But that's not hate.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The old cliché 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is still viable here. IMHO, the Tesla Model S isn't all that great of a looking car either inside or outside. Certainly not worth north of $100K when fully optioned, at least to me.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
An interior that has a large laptop computer screen awkwardly between the center console and the dashboard.
Thats the same opinion I had when I test drove the Tesla. The interior is nice and the car has crazy acceleration but the interior didn't feel like 100K car should. Certainly not next to the new 7.

The biggest peeve of mine was that screen. I sit behind giant monitors at work all day. Last thing I want to do is sit behind one while driving home. You can turn off but not really. I turn my i3's off everyday and I can still use the radio and ac just fine.

I respect people who buy them though. The car is an important advancement for the EV. Just thought the i3 at 1/3 the price was a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
[...]For example I do not consider the performance or handling of the Model S to be "outstanding." When I accelerate in the P85D the front of the car VISIBLY LIFTS. This is not outstanding performance, rather way too much horse power for the chassis/suspension.

The handling is good for a big sedan, but I wouldn't call it outstanding.
Sorry, bro, there is not such thing as too much horse power.
Any more than having too good looking of a significant other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
[...]The biggest peeve of mine was that screen. I sit behind giant monitors at work all day. Last thing I want to do is sit behind one while driving home. You can turn off but not really. I turn my i3's off everyday and I can still use the radio and ac just fine.
Agree completely on the screen. It was a cute way to avoid doing proper interior/dashboard design.
And I also completely turn off the Nav screen in all my cars, though it's easier in the F80 as it has HUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
I respect people who buy them though. The car is an important advancement for the EV. Just thought the i3 at 1/3 the price was a better deal.
Amen to that.
I do enjoy my i3, and it does offer attractive EV value and style.
Which is why we are having this conversation on bimmerpost, not teslapost boards!

But I refuse to be blind to its shortfalls (handling, range), or to crap all over other EVs.
Especially the first to mass-market, and still the fastest and the longest range EV available.
If it wasn't for Tesla's success, there would not be an i3 nor an i8 !

a
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #10
MalibuBimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
afadeev -- I've seen drivers who didn't know how to drive them lose control of cars with "too much horsepower." And men who didn't know how to keep them lose wives who were "too good looking." So, yes, you can have too much of a good thing and lose it.

I, too, turn off my nav on dark nights and dark roads. The HUD is just fine for those occasions.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:01 AM   #11
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well we just differ then. You couldn't give me a car with "too much horsepower" for free, because that means the car is not capable of using or properly handling the power. Any kid can get a souped up "horsepower" toy. It takes something else to balance a car as a whole.

To abuse your analogy I don't care how attractive someone's legs are, if they are 2'3" tall and weigh 600 pounds. Because power is just one part of the whole.

And btw I'd rather my significant other be able to carry on a complex conversation while driving on the track than be too good looking anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali
Quote:
Well we just differ then. You couldn't give me a car with "too much horsepower" for free, because that means the car is not capable of using or properly handling the power. Any kid can get a souped up "horsepower" toy. It takes something else to balance a car as a whole.

To abuse your analogy I don't care how attractive someone's legs are, if they are 2'3" tall and weigh 600 pounds. Because power is just one part of the whole.

And btw I'd rather my significant other be able to carry on a complex conversation while driving on the track than be too good looking anyway.
Yes I agree, my mini was getting close to 300hp and was un-drivable, it being front wheel drive and all with the modifications made with little engine movement made the accelerator pedal an on and off switch for traction.

The car when I bought it was close to perfect balance of hp and handling but needed a little more, I went a little over board.

Power out of a turn and you just started to go straight off the road as the wheels would just start free spinning, since then I've dialed it back and de-tuned the car and the drive is much better now and the HP is now right sized for the chassis and concept.

I know I could make it better and make it handle more power with chassis and suspension modifications beyond what I have already done I'd have to break the bank. :P
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Especially the first to mass-market, and still the fastest and the longest range EV available.

a
The i3 was in development long before the Tesla came into play.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
BMW announced i3 in 2011, with production start in Leipzig in 2013.
i3 is based on Active E, which was announced in 2010, field testing started in Jan of 2012.
Active E followed MINI E trials. MINI E was unveiled at the 2008 LA autoshow, and ran trails in June 2009 in NY and LA markets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3

Tesla was founded in 2003, launched first production car (Roadster) in 2008, Model S in 2012:
http://www.teslamotors.com/about

Draw your own conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well yea tesla was founded in 2003 and mini e was rolled out in 2008 but the technology was started way before that and then adapted to the mini. One could say they started at or before tesla was founded as well as it takes years to develop something to sell to the public even if it's only for leased purposes. It takes upwards of 4 to 5 years to roll something out to the public. Besides Bmw has been making electric cars for some time now.

Not trying to sell either or just thought it was interesting .

http://www.businessinsider.com/bmw-h...c-cars-2012-12
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
MalibuBimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
BMW was experimenting with electric motivated vehicles in the 1970s when Elon Musk was still soiling his diapers.

BMW could have packed a ton of batteries in a car (literally a ton) using existing technology, and then waited as batteries got better, but they decided on a more holistic route. Musk took existing technology but has not advanced it. Weight, after all, is the most significant limiting factor for electric power. A 1500 pound battery is wasteful. There's not even an ounce of carbon fiber in a Tesla. Nikola would be ashamed.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer
BMW was experimenting with electric motivated vehicles in the 1970s when Elon Musk was still soiling his diapers.

BMW could have packed a ton of batteries in a car (literally a ton) using existing technology, and then waited as batteries got better, but they decided on a more holistic route. Musk took existing technology but has not advanced it. Weight, after all, is the most significant limiting factor for electric power. A 1500 pound battery is wasteful. There's not even an ounce of carbon fiber in a Tesla. Nikola would be ashamed.
Yes a real in depth look at the whole "I" program and you can see why it took so long to develop, they really took a new approach and even the battery tech was well thought out.

Plus the fact I never have to worry about rust being in the rust belt made it even a better choice for me.

Also worth noting but the factory in which the I cars are built took years to strategize as well as the use of the materials. These where probably in the development stages even before the MINI-E was introduced. Being in the business this stuff does not happen over night. BMW was definitely not a follower when designing electric cars, they wanted to reinvent it.

Styling aside its a marvel of our time in an automotive engineering sence. And most advanced out their in materials and use of manufacturing. And it starts at an relatively affordable price point with its exotic materials is pretty spectacular.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #18
mmccking
Rep
Drives: Chip

I recently purchased an I3 and I have to say I love it. I love it not so much for it being a "perfect" car, but more so as a car that redefines automotive design, paradigms, conventions, stigmas, you name it. I felt this way with my 2nd gen Prius back in 2005. This was when A/C compressors were still run off timing belts, gas pedals and gear selectors were still mechanical, gears shifted, brake pads had to be replaced (180k on OEMs), doors had to be unlocked before opening, keys were needed in the ignition, turning "on" a car in a closed garage will kill you, etc..

Of all the EVs and hybrids currently available, only the I3 gave me that same sense of revolution and evolution. Sure the Model S did as well back when it was released, but it still felt unrefined, especially compared to my comparably priced Panamera.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:

Sheesh!
That's funny actually. Why people have so much emotion attached to their cars is beyond me?

If I had to justify it, with humor, is that he was jealous that the interior of the Tesla was even uglier than the exterior of the i3

I am in the market for a small car, and it is a toss up between the i3 and TBD.
      09-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Please stop. BMW is far behind most EV manufacturers. GM built the EV1 almost 20 years ago now, about the time BMW was chasing GMs then 11-year old plastic bodied Fiero design with the Z1. Electric cars were produced by major manufacturers and in use in the early 1900s. Please stop spewing this crap that BMW, with the i3, has started some EV revolution. Saying BMW was in the stages of EV design before Tesla is just a joke. In 2003 BMW was the most heavily fined of the auto manufacturers for not meeting USA EPA Cafe regulations. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #21
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
A few months ago the Tesla team came to Highlands NC to give test drives for wealthy summer residents. They sent me out with a twenty something associate in the latest Model S thing with two motors and 4wd. It was pretty quick; amazing for a 5000 pound car. We headed down Horse Cove Road- 1700 foot elevation drop in less than two miles. The thing really gobbled the uphill sections. When we started the batteries were fully charged and the available range displayed over 300 miles. When we returned it showed 87 miles of range. Distance covered- 9.5 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #22
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
A few months ago the Tesla team came to Highlands NC to give test drives for wealthy summer residents. They sent me out with a twenty something associate in the latest Model S thing with two motors and 4wd. It was pretty quick; amazing for a 5000 pound car. We headed down Horse Cove Road- 1700 foot elevation drop in less than two miles. The thing really gobbled the uphill sections. When we started the batteries were fully charged and the available range displayed over 300 miles. When we returned it showed 87 miles of range. Distance covered- 9.5 miles.
Who is the hater now, I'm sure there is an exaggeration to this story. Maybe it was 187 miles left.
Appreciate 0