TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Official BMW i3 Accessories (Review)

Official BMW i3 Accessories Review

I bought some of the official accessories and have been using them for a few days. Here’s my review and recommendations:
Parts:
1x Rear Cover – 51472348066 ($92.60 ea)
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/SEARCH/514...centerid=76837

1x Rear Storage Bin (i Collapsible Box) – 51472348061 ($58.35 ea)

2x Rear Window Shades – 51462349827 ($92.51 ea)

*Note you have to buy two sets to complete both windows. Same Part Number.

i Collapsible Box - $58.35

Review: I thought this was going to be made from the same felt like material as the owner’s manual cover but it’s not. It’s a much cheaper cotton like material and the BMW i logo is just silkscreened on. While the blue trim along the top edge of the box does match the BMW i blue perfectly, the body of the box color and fabric pattern doesn’t match anything else used in the car. It fits well behind the rear seats but doesn’t lock in place at all and can slide around when empty. There is a lable inside that says max load 8kg. Overall I don’t feel this is a well-designed official accessory. It seems like an aftermarket fit and finish and don’t feel it’s worth anywhere near $60 USD.

Pro: The blue edge along the top is nice and it fits well enough
Con: Color and material is cheap and out of place
Would Buy Again: No

i Function Cover - $92.60

Review: I had no idea what a function cover was; well it’s a blanket. A $92 fleece blanket. That’s really all I should have to say about it. I initially thought it was more of a rear floor mat but it’s not. Its way too big. Its has straps that clip onto the front headrests and when the rear seats are down the blanket can act as a protector for the whole back area. However when the rear seats are up, the cover is too large. It wrinkles easily and the BMW i logo is cheaply silkscreened on. If you have a dog you can attach the cover between the front and rear headrests to make a protective cover for the back seat. It doesn’t attach to the doors or seats so it’s a pretty lose cover to use for a dog. Mine would eat this if given the chance. The best part of the cover is the bag it came in. You won’t be getting the blanket back into the bag ever again but I did find it makes a nice bag for the portable charger. I find keeping this in the truck is easier to access and a lot more convenient than the normal location up front. The bag and storage bin give it a nice place to be stored.

Pro: The storage bag can be repurposed
Con: Price, questionable function, cheap material, doesn’t fit
Would Buy Again: No

Rear Window Shades - $185.02 Set

Review: Wait why are these sold separately? Who is going to buy just one side? Don’t be fooled by the $90 price; both sides will cost you $185. Apart from the price I actually like these. They’re fixed in place with little stick on clips. Those clips have some 3M double sided tape attached to them. Easy to install but keep in mind these won’t be able to easily be sold when you part out the accessories. They reduce the amount of light by about half. They make a large screen for the rear hatch but I’m not sure its worth it since there’s already a truck cover. The fit and finish is what you’d expect and there’s a little BMW i logo sewn into them. They are removable when you clean the windows but they’re not the easiest things to remove. I’d consider these things simi-permanent once installed. The screens come with a protective sleeve I’m assuming you’d use to store them in. I doubt anyone would use that.

Install Tip: I didn’t use the clips on the small rear windows. Instead I found I could keep the screens in place by sticking the edges in between the headliner and surrounding window plastic. I think it looks much cleaner doing it this way.

Pro: Fits well, looks OEM
Con: Would have preferred non-double sided tape style clips.
Would Buy Again: Yes

Bulldog - Priceless

Review: The one I received is overly stubborn and seems to enjoy tearing up the BMW i Function Cover. Also leaves hair and dog smell in the car even after being in it for just two minutes. Does match the front end of the car pretty well.

Last edited by TimeFor; 09-06-2015 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 5
      04-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
SonnyCrockett
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REX / 2015

Thanks

Thank you for posting, there is very little information on the shades online, even some of the Ebay sellers have no clue that they include the mounting clips - i was on the fence regarding these shades but i also didn't want to shell too much money on Tinting my I3 since it is a lease. These should do the trick for now.
Thanks again.

2011 Z4IS and 2013 335M convert and feeling electric
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Wow. What a beautiful dog. American bulldog?
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Great reviews!

did you get any lifestyle accessories ?

I got the big bag, the hat, the lanyard, and the key covers. I'm really happy with all of them. If you like the owners manual cover you'll love the bag. It's made of the same wool.

Any word on the solar charger for mobile devices?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Evan@Tischer
Rep
Drives: Online Parts Sales

Great reviews, AND awesome dog!! My Min-Pin has the same effect on my vehicle!

We offer the i Accessories here, and new 2016 i Lifestyle items here for anyone interested!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Wow. What a beautiful dog. American bulldog?
English Bulldog - She was just a puppy here though. Wrinkles haven't fully filled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMGRT View Post
Great reviews!

did you get any lifestyle accessories ?

I got the big bag, the hat, the lanyard, and the key covers. I'm really happy with all of them. If you like the owners manual cover you'll love the bag. It's made of the same wool.

Any word on the solar charger for mobile devices?
I have since bought the bag as a gift for someone. It was really nice. I believe I paid $97 +tax. And I have the blue i3 key covers which are wonderful. They help prevent accidentally pressing the unlock button while the key is in my pocket. It was previously a real problem for me. I recommend them if you have this issue.
Appreciate 0