BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Future i3 tech?

So since the board hasn't seen any action as of late just thought I'd post.

So as BMW works on future i3 variants and adds new features what would you guys like to see offered on new models ?

Bmw of North America called me a few months ago asking what my likes and dislikes where and what I felt they could improve on in future models.

So what are your thoughts ? I'd like to see an advanced HUD would be nice. I rather enjoyed the one in the 535 I took to Michigan over the weekend..... .

And more interior and wheel options.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
In my survey I asked they add an option for the anthracite alcantara headliner. Also surround view and lane change warnings should be options.

But really, anything that's available on the new 7 series I'd probably be willing to pay to have on the i3.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor
In my survey I asked they add an option for the anthracite alcantara headliner. Also surround view and lane change warnings should be options.

But really, anything that's available on the new 7 series I'd probably be willing to pay to have on the i3.
Mmmmmm the aroma smell button! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

The biggest change I would like to see is the development of a AWD such that friction brakes could be eliminated. Four smaller motors with (slightly) more power and better regen. The RWD limits the amount of regen possible especially in low surface friction environments like in rain or snow.

Only other change might be structural refinement to allow for a narrower A pillar to improve forward visibility in the corners. Numerous times I have seen pedestrians later than I would have liked.

Keep it the same compact proportions, light weight, and high quality. If they do that I will get another for sure. It is "The Ultimate (city) Driving Machine".
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
So as BMW works on future i3 variants and adds new features what would you guys like to see offered on new models ?

Bmw of North America called me a few months ago asking what my likes and dislikes where and what I felt they could improve on in future models.

So what are your thoughts ? I'd like to see an advanced HUD would be nice. I rather enjoyed the one in the 535 I took to Michigan over the weekend..... .

I personally love HUD, but it should remain an a-la-cart option as it is fairly pricey (custom windshield, projector required) and not everyone cares what speed they are going and in what direction .

I would definitely invest into:
1). increased battery range (150-200 Miles), possibly advocating for another higher capacity model (e.g.: i3-BEV++ and i3-REX++ with larger gas tank)
2). optional Sports package to make i3's highway-worthy
3). optional solar panels on the roof
4). non-cloth (or at least non-light grey) seats, as these ones stain WAYYY to easily. Even sitting on one in wet clean swim suit generates stains.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 09-15-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:

I personally love HUD, but it should remain an a-la-cart option as it is fairly pricey (custom windshield, project screen required) and not everyone cares what speed they are going and in what direction .

I would definitely invest into:
1). increased battery range (150-200 Miles), possibly advocating for another higher capacity model (e.g.: i3-BEV++ and i3-REX++ with larger gas tank)
2). optional Sports package to make i3's highway-worthy
3). optional solar panels on the roof
4). non-cloth (or at least non-light grey) seats, as these ones stain WAYYY to easily. Even sitting on one in wet clean swim suit generates stains.

a
Love the solar panel idea, could reduce the amount of juice required while preconditioning the interior before departure.

The light interior does stain easily, especially the matts, but I do like it a lot.

And the higher range is a given. Not that it's needed all the time but it would increase sales due to range anxiety. Even if BMW did their research and it was good research as I do not ever run out of range during my commute usually still have 40miles left at the end of the day, to have that extra mileage is calming.

But the possible extra weight and longer charging times are a downside. I like the idea of 20 to 30 minutes for a full charge.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
And the higher range is a given. Not that it's needed all the time but it would increase sales due to range anxiety. Even if BMW did their research and it was good research as I do not ever run out of range during my commute usually still have 40miles left at the end of the day, to have that extra mileage is calming.
Exactly!
No-one runs down their battery down to zero (unless you have a REX ;-), so most people plan around ~75% of available battery capacity. For a BEV, that's ~70 miles, which is roughly what you get out of a REX. Not bad, and probably sufficient for 80% of the commute routs, but doubling that range would make BEV usable for 95+% of commute routs, and likely obfuscate the need for a REX.

Have a BEV car with ~200 mile range would certainly make it a much more compelling proposition to me as a primary car, not just an short-distance second/commuter car that i3-REX is right now.

Quote:
But the possible extra weight and longer charging times are a downside. I like the idea of 20 to 30 minutes for a full charge.
I love the idea of 30 minute charging, but L3 chargers are pretty expensive.
BMW's 24 kW CCS charging station is $6.5K vs. ~$500 for L2 charger.

With a larger 50 kW CSS charger, you could fill 50kW battery to 80% in roughly the same 30 minutes as BMW's 24 kW CSS charger does for the existing i3 battery.

Frankly, $6.5K fast CCS charger is just too much, and likely not worth it for most folks for in-house installation.
For mid-road quick charge-ups, it's a significant improvement on L2. However, they are still hard to come by in NE, and for the the trips that would require mid-point recharging I am happily taking my ICE car. Frankly, it's a MUCH more enjoyable highway cruiser compared to the i3.

a
Appreciate 0