BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #23
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
In my opinion, unless when you're really using the quicker throttle response and more aggressive gear changes - like on curvy mountain roads or on a track - Sport mode is a waste. Just cruising down a highway in Sport about doubles your fuel consumption compared to Comfort, for no real benefit. Just compare the instantaneous consumption numbers of both mode while you're on cruise control.

I recharge that way too, sometimes, when I really need a charge where I'm going. But it's like building a huge campfire to boil one egg. Much better to plug it in.

Well for me (just the way I drive anyway) when I shift over to sport mode on the highway & open freedom spaces I use paddle shifters to shift aggressively all the time & down shift a lot. When you go into sport mode & take control as well with the paddles it feels way more responsive & sporty than keeping it in auto. Not to mention you can do those amazing sounding down shifts. If you haven't yet you need to go do that NOW.

Get up to a nice speed in 5th gear then drop down to 4 when you hear it, then wait a bit & drop down to 3...those sounds...yessss...then push it & take off.

Be safe with it of course though lol

But yeah thats just me. Thats how I drive so the car is the most fun for me. Also I am getting those new wheels & P Zero Tires for the better look & more concave wheel look but thats just me too. It will handle better, stick better & get better quicker times. Sure the gas MPG or something might go down but I honestly dint care at all about that lol

Its already getting like 33 mpg when I drive super aggressive with the paddles in sport mode or about 45 when just cruising mostly & thats GREAT!! I doubt it will go down that much just from tires. Plus it will give the car better stance & look specially from the rear. If you look at the car stock from the rear you see those pathetic skinny pries tires & it makes me want to kick them lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
KevinB61
Rep
Drives: 15 I8 IonicSilver Pure Impulse

Quote:
I'm not sure that's quite right. To get a more punchy response from the engine, I'm quite sure the injection mapping, ignition timing, etc. maybe even the turbo boost level are also different. Even with a fully charged battery, I have not gotten Sports mode instantaneous consumption figures down to Comfort mode levels.

And even if that weren't the case, recharging in Sport mode is still highly uneconomical.
Well, my "just looking at the mpg meter" method showed me in my car what i was referring to. As it can't use 6th in sport (without manual shifting), and it wants to stay in a lower gear in sport, obviously It can't get the same mileage. Without the BMW engineer's speaking to things, what your "quite sure" about is all hearsay. But each to their own. The last thing I worry about in this car is fuel economy.

And about recharging on the go, it has some great usefulness. Say I am about to go through Eureka, which is 10miles approx of stop/go driving, and I only have 3 or 4 miles left. I charge up to over 10 before I hit the city, and go through without having the gas engine having to stop/start repeatedly. The ability to recharge on the fly is a great feature.

Last edited by KevinB61; 11-27-2015 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Missed something...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #25
BklynTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2011 White 328 xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Bigger wheels and tires defeat the whole idea of the car. I know this is a controversial view, but I hold it passionately. The 20s are big enough and the patch they put down is appropriate for this car. This is a transition car, bridging the gap between ICE and electric, and blinging it out makes no sense to me.

But what do I know? I've only owned and driven BMWs for 45 years and by now I'm an old geezer.
I hear you old man, all good...I love the 20s he has on there now and agree you don't really need to change..BUT...not so much about the bling as it is about the performance to me...with wider wheels doesn't it corner better?...the bonus to me is also a better stance..we know BMW spent millions in R&D and then we go and put our personal touch likely driving their engineers and designers nuts...my guess is that 22s might be too big for real streets and they may blunt performance since they are also probably heavier. Going high end 21s could potentially be lighter and wider.

Also, please excuse my ignorance but what does ICE stand for?

Anyway...it's all personal taste and as long as he likes it that's all that matters...looking forward to seeing what he does.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #26
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Internal combustion engine.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 12:49 AM   #27
BklynTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2011 White 328 xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Internal combustion engine.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #28
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitz101 View Post
Well for me (just the way I drive anyway) when I shift over to sport mode on the highway & open freedom spaces I use paddle shifters to shift aggressively all the time & down shift a lot. When you go into sport mode & take control as well with the paddles it feels way more responsive & sporty than keeping it in auto. Not to mention you can do those amazing sounding down shifts. If you haven't yet you need to go do that NOW.

Get up to a nice speed in 5th gear then drop down to 4 when you hear it, then wait a bit & drop down to 3...those sounds...yessss...then push it & take off.

Be safe with it of course though lol

But yeah thats just me. Thats how I drive so the car is the most fun for me. Also I am getting those new wheels & P Zero Tires for the better look & more concave wheel look but thats just me too. It will handle better, stick better & get better quicker times. Sure the gas MPG or something might go down but I honestly dint care at all about that lol

Its already getting like 33 mpg when I drive super aggressive with the paddles in sport mode or about 45 when just cruising mostly & thats GREAT!! I doubt it will go down that much just from tires. Plus it will give the car better stance & look specially from the rear. If you look at the car stock from the rear you see those pathetic skinny pries tires & it makes me want to kick them lol.
I hear you. I have 12'000 miles on mine, incl. several flat-out drives through Germany. So I do know what the car does. And you will note that I (deliberately) didn't mention the fun factor, because that invalidates any logical argument instantly.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 02:19 AM   #29
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB61 View Post
Well, my "just looking at the mpg meter" method showed me in my car what i was referring to. As it can't use 6th in sport (without manual shifting), and it wants to stay in a lower gear in sport, obviously It can't get the same mileage. Without the BMW engineer's speaking to things, what your "quite sure" about is all hearsay. But each to their own. The last thing I worry about in this car is fuel economy.

And about recharging on the go, it has some great usefulness. Say I am about to go through Eureka, which is 10miles approx of stop/go driving, and I only have 3 or 4 miles left. I charge up to over 10 before I hit the city, and go through without having the gas engine having to stop/start repeatedly. The ability to recharge on the fly is a great feature.
Well, I did write that I use Sport to recharge occasionally. Nevertheless, it's still a waste if you switch to Sport just for that. The "hold charge" feature is much more useful if you know you're going into a congested area.

Last edited by Aye-eight; 11-28-2015 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #30
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Bigger wheels and tires defeat the whole idea of the car. I know this is a controversial view, but I hold it passionately. The 20s are big enough and the patch they put down is appropriate for this car. This is a transition car, bridging the gap between ICE and electric, and blinging it out makes no sense to me.

But what do I know? I've only owned and driven BMWs for 45 years and by now I'm an old geezer.
I agree about the wheel diameter but the car is severely under-tired (word?) given the amazing chassis.

I like the idea of slightly wider rubber on both ends with the same diameter wheel. I am going to move to Michelin PSSs, 245 in the front and 275 in the rear. My belief is that the weak BMW front-end will be helped by the % increase in front tire width relative to the rear. This combined with a more aggressive compound should really improve the handling of the vehicle without compromising the eco-credentials too much.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #31
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I agree about the wheel diameter but the car is severely under-tired (word?) given the amazing chassis.

I like the idea of slightly wider rubber on both ends with the same diameter wheel. I am going to move to Michelin PSSs, 245 in the front and 275 in the rear. My belief is that the weak BMW front-end will be helped by the % increase in front tire width relative to the rear. This combined with a more aggressive compound should really improve the handling of the vehicle without compromising the eco-credentials too much.

Cheers-mk
Would be very interested to hear about your experience.

Also, anyone here who's gone to wider tires and lives in a country where the acceptable tire sizes are listed in the car's registration papers - like Switzerland or Germany? How much trouble is it with the authorities to go beyond the manufacturer-prescribed dimensions?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #32
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Oh, and there's at least two sources out there (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...8-ar99499.html and http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7.../bmw-i8-review) that seem to believe engine management is different in Sport mode.

And it makes utter sense if you're trying to build a car that can be both economical and fast, wouldn't you say. Heck, VW even programmed a special map just for test cycles...

So, you may want to give this thought a bit more credit before you dismiss it as 'hearsay'.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #33
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh, and there's at least two sources out there (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...8-ar99499.html and http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7.../bmw-i8-review) that seem to believe engine management is different in Sport mode.

And it makes utter sense if you're trying to build a car that can be both economical and fast, wouldn't you say. Heck, VW even programmed a special map just for test cycles...

So, you may want to give this thought a bit more credit before you dismiss it as 'hearsay'.
Just caught this.

Simple experiment: With the car in comfort mode and running at a sufficient speed that the ICE is operational move the gear selector to sport mode while keeping the throttle in the same position and see what happens.

You don't have to do so, I will tell you!

The engine revs higher because that throttle position in Comfort mode is analogous to a different rev count AND power production in Sport mode. Problem solved.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #34
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

Exactly. The sport mode deff changes the way the car handles & works in many ways. The rev count is different I think even the suspension tightens or handles somewhat different as well. Point is...if you want to really have fun in the i8 or go fast hit that gear over to sport mode.

If your not in sport mode a lot your not feeling the i8s real potential & not having as much fun as you could be. On the streets & in traffic..comfort..but once you hit the freeway or open roads go ahead & knock over to sport mode & use the paddle shifters as well to control the downshifts & really have fun!!

While at the same time your charging your batteries WIN WIN
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 01:52 AM   #35
KevinB61
Rep
Drives: 15 I8 IonicSilver Pure Impulse

Quote:

Ahhh...here we go the usual OCD response bullshit.

Listen Dumbass...you said it doubles fuel consumption and all I said was that it doesn't once the battery charges....so take your bullshit elsewhere.

people like you are the fuckheads who make forums a pain in the ass

Later
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 04:19 AM   #36
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Listen Dumbass...you said it doubles fuel consumption and all I said was that it doesn't once the battery charges....so take your bullshit elsewhere.

Later
Wow, you really know how to have a discussion among adults. I'm sorry, I can't follow you to that level.
Appreciate 5
      11-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #37
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
In my opinion, unless when you're really using the quicker throttle response and more aggressive gear changes - like on curvy mountain roads or on a track - Sport mode is a waste. Just cruising down a highway in Sport about doubles your fuel consumption compared to Comfort, for no real benefit. Just compare the instantaneous consumption numbers of both mode while you're on cruise control.

I recharge that way too, sometimes, when I really need a charge where I'm going. But it's like building a huge campfire to boil one egg. Much better to plug it in.
I am pretty sure the difference is only due to the more efficient charging in sport mode.mine doesn't consume that much if the battery is full and in sport.

I also use sport to warm the engine as it doesnt stop in lights like other modes do. I think tje paddles are useless. The changes are so quick that you only slow the machine down. Have it in tje m50d also, never used in both cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #38
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:

Later
While I appreciate your opinion relating to your driving experiences with the i8, there's no need to be contentious, especially when it comes to discussing different perspectives with fellow BMW enthusiasts. Let's keep this as a forum where everyone is entitled to share their own: perspectives, suggestions and experiences without having to be subjected to unnecessary ridicule or debasement.
Appreciate 5
      11-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #39
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
While I appreciate your opinion relating to your driving experiences with the i8, there's no need to be contentious, especially when it comes to discussing different perspectives with fellow BMW enthusiasts. Let's keep this as a forum where everyone is entitled to share their own: perspectives, suggestions and experiences without having to be subjected to unnecessary ridicule or debasement.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #40
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Thanks for calming things down...
My dad used to chill us kids by pointing out that there is no reason to argue about facts.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #41
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Thanks for calming things down...
My dad used to chill us kids by pointing out that there is no reason to argue about facts.
Of course, when captives of big businesses don't like the facts they simply lie about them. Climate change is an example. 196 countries are going to get together to deal with what science says is the man made acceleration of global warming, but since oil companies don't like that (alternative energy sources not being in their bailiwick), they have captured a few politicians to lie about it.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0