BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
Flash007
Rep
Drives: 2015 120 dxDrive

Playing with the i8 on the ice

Hi

I had some fun with the BMW I8 on the ice last week.
Impressed by how precise the car was, even on a very slippery surface.
No studs in the tire, just normal wintertires.

Unfortunately no sound in this small clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PckkCTrkrIA

Last edited by Flash007; 02-13-2016 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash007 View Post
Hi

I had some fun with the BMW I8 on the ice last week.
Impressed by how precise the car was, even on a very slippery surface.
No studs in the tire, just normal wintertires.

Unfortunately no sound in this small clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PckkCTrkrIA
Cool video. Skilled driving, too. Is there any comparison of times between different cars on that stretch?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Nice ice maneuvering in the i8!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Very nice driving!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

awesome driving, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Flash007
Rep
Drives: 2015 120 dxDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Cool video. Skilled driving, too. Is there any comparison of times between different cars on that stretch?
No, I did not do any timing. It was just to test the Drone to see if we could get some cool takes.

I did a few laps on a 1 mile icecourse, but to be honest I did not go for any fast laps. I just wanted to see how the I8 did handled compared to our "normal" cars.
The car was also equipped with normal wintertires with no studs, and all our other cars was with studs. As you can imagine,the traction was not good.

I am pretty sure though that a 120d xDrive would be faster on a track like this one, and definatly on the tight slalom course.

The 1 series xDrive is probably the best car we have for this kind of driving. The balance is amazing and with some experience you can make the car do more or less everything you want. The xDrive system is fantastic, you can drive it like a rearwheel driven car with all the advantages of an 4 wheels drive car. No understeer, just a very controllable oversteer.
Even the big X5 can be made dancing thrue the course like a much smaller car.

The i8 is different as you all know. The electric motor take care of front and the petrol engine runs the rearwheels.
That makes it different to drive, but it works surprisingly well. I had no plans to be the guy who run of the track so I did take it kind of slow.

You do feel some delay when you are setting up the car before a tight turn and during a long slide when you are adjusting the driftangel.
Except from that, the car is very precise and well balanced as you could see on the slalom course.
Kind of cool to be able to place the front tires less than 1" from the "poles" ( not sure if that is the right word)

And yes, it pulls like hell in straight line, even in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash007 View Post
No, I did not do any timing. It was just to test the Drone to see if we could get some cool takes.

I did a few laps on a 1 mile icecourse, but to be honest I did not go for any fast laps. I just wanted to see how the I8 did handled compared to our "normal" cars.
The car was also equipped with normal wintertires with no studs, and all our other cars was with studs. As you can imagine,the traction was not good.

I am pretty sure though that a 120d xDrive would be faster on a track like this one, and definatly on the tight slalom course.

The 1 series xDrive is probably the best car we have for this kind of driving. The balance is amazing and with some experience you can make the car do more or less everything you want. The xDrive system is fantastic, you can drive it like a rearwheel driven car with all the advantages of an 4 wheels drive car. No understeer, just a very controllable oversteer.
Even the big X5 can be made dancing thrue the course like a much smaller car.

The i8 is different as you all know. The electric motor take care of front and the petrol engine runs the rearwheels.
That makes it different to drive, but it works surprisingly well. I had no plans to be the guy who run of the track so I did take it kind of slow.

You do feel some delay when you are setting up the car before a tight turn and during a long slide when you are adjusting the driftangel.
Except from that, the car is very precise and well balanced as you could see on the slalom course.
Kind of cool to be able to place the front tires less than 1" from the "poles" ( not sure if that is the right word)

And yes, it pulls like hell in straight line, even in the snow.
I'd expect the short wheelbase of a 120 to be much more responsive on a slalom course. But it's still impressive how the i8 performs. Especially given the setup: with electric upfront and combustion in the back, it could be very unpredictable in terms of torque release. I haven't driven it on solid ice, but it does snow here in Switzerland (except this winter, pretty much) so I'm really pleased to see it handles so well. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Baron UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver i8 & RR vogue v8

Excellent driving
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
Ravon
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Beautiful and skilful driving ! wouldn't it be nice if BMW offered i8 owners the chance to go to the ice fields and learn these skills ?
Appreciate 0