BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

03-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

New update more miles less torque.

So new update available for i3 to reduce the torque to ease the issue with the motor mount issue. But also range increase was added. Getting over 100 miles at 100% charge in 40 degree whether without pre conditioning.

Pretty sweet!

In the past in the 40's without preconditioning and in Eco pro i would just hit in the 70's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
So new update available for i3 to reduce the torque to ease the issue with the motor mount issue. But also range increase was added. Getting over 100 miles at 100% charge in 40 degree whether without pre conditioning.
Interesting.
What's the exact software version displayed in iDrive?
I've had a recent dealership visit, but have attributed increased mileage to significantly warmer ambient temps as o flate.

If given a choice between greater mileage and decent torque, I would probably stay with max torque (and feather the gas pedal application, as necessary).

a
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Interesting.
I've had a recent dealership visit, but have attributed increased mileage to significantly warmer ambient temps as o flate.

If given a choice between greater mileage and decent torque, I would probably stay with max torque (and feather the gas pedal application, as necessary).

a
Supposedly it only affects it to 2 miles an hour after that it's full. So your feathering at the beginning is I guess the same thing. The dealer said the car is just as fast but they moved the power around so the start is softer as to not jolt the motor mounts but the power is then brought up harder to compensate. Who knows what kind of crazy witchcraft is going on in their lol.

I'm curious as to a 70 degree day and a precondition would register. Never seen my readout reach over a hundred miles before tonight so it's kind of cool. Maybe they released some of the extra juice from the batteries to give more miles to the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious as to a 70 degree day and a precondition would register. Never seen my readout reach over a hundred miles before tonight so it's kind of cool. Maybe they released some of the extra juice from the batteries to give more miles to the consumer.
Batteries like to run at a narrow temperature window around 68F.
Much warmer than that, and i3 starts running AC to cool the battery compartment (even if the passenger compartment is not cooled). Much colder than that, and the battery heaters are turned on (regardless of whether you are heating the cabin).

So 65-75F ambient is just about perfect for eliminating battery temperature management current drain. Thus you should see the maximum range on those days.

My REX was showing me 106 miles estimated on battery, and 84 on gas, for the total of projected 190 miles of driving this morning (assuming I keep putting around on the back roads like I did before I parked it last night ;-)

a
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Batteries like to run at a narrow temperature window around 68F.
Much warmer than that, and i3 starts running AC to cool the battery compartment (even if the passenger compartment is not cooled). Much colder than that, and the battery heaters are turned on (regardless of whether you are heating the cabin).

So 65-75F ambient is just about perfect for eliminating battery temperature management current drain. Thus you should see the maximum range on those days.

My REX was showing me 106 miles estimated on battery, and 84 on gas, for the total of projected 190 miles of driving this morning (assuming I keep putting around on the back roads like I did before I parked it last night ;-)

a
Pretty nifty ! It's still cold up here in the north !

37 this morning, can't wait for the winter to be gone !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
07'335iBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

My REX also showed 106 miles at full charge today. 78 degrees or so. The first 20 miles or so seemed to drain more quickly than normal though..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07'335iBimmer
My REX also showed 106 miles at full charge today. 78 degrees or so. The first 20 miles or so seemed to drain more quickly than normal though..
Back when I had the old software the highest it ever got was 84 that's it! So this is a big change for me regardless .
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

a
Supposedly it only affects it to 2 miles an hour after that it's full. So your feathering at the beginning is I guess the same thing. The dealer said the car is just as fast but they moved the power around so the start is softer as to not jolt the motor mounts but the power is then brought up harder to compensate. Who knows what kind of crazy witchcraft is going on in their lol.

Same thing Nissan did to the Leaf and it really wrecked the off the line performance of the car.

We'll see !
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

a

Same thing Nissan did to the Leaf and it really wrecked the off the line performance of the car.

We'll see !
I know after they did it I was pissed! More power not less!!!! Lol..

I don't really notice the difference so I guess it's fine but still sucks !
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

a

We'll see !

When you buy a car one way, and they reprogram it to be something else, you have every right to be pissed-off.

If you bought the car, vs leased it you might ask for them to return the old program.

How is the regen now?p
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
2sak2furious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 coupe

Are these updates automatically installed into your car or do you have to manually upload or get it done at dealer??
2015 BMW X5M gone
2013 Porsche Panamera Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We notice the range is high when we charge on a CSS charger then the next charger on our BMW home charger it is always 10 miles higher then normal (which is 60 miles at <10degC Ambient).... Had the mod and software done and no noticeable difference to report.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

a

We'll see !

When you buy a car one way, and they reprogram it be something else, you have every right to be pissed-off.

If you bought the car, vs leased it you might ask for them to return the old program.

How is the regen now?
The regen still feels the same and it's still quick but I'll take a slight reduction to keep my bolts from braking.

Other than that I know you still have to take it to the dealer and ask to have it updated.

The only reason they updated it was they had the car for a week since when sitting at the light a loud "thunk" comes from the car and nobody can find it, so they did this update in hopes it would remedy the issue.

Otherwise they were dumbfounded on what it could be so they recommended the update. Well they did the update and to no surprise the think is still their.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
mmccking
Rep
Drives: Chip

Coast/regen-braking seems stronger, but it sounds like it's using the brakes more than it used to. A lot more. Wondering if they did that to reduce skidding over speed bumps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #15
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
How are you getting this update? Dealership?
      03-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I went for a i3 test drive yesterday and the sale associate mentioned that the i3 will be getting a larger battery for 2017. After reading this, is it just a software update? or are they adding more batter capacity into the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny
I went for a i3 test drive yesterday and the sale associate mentioned that the i3 will be getting a larger battery for 2017. After reading this, is it just a software update? or are they adding more batter capacity into the car?
Yea I get the update from the dealers. From what I understand BMW keeps the battery from fully charging by 10% or so and keeps it from discharging by 10% or so, so theirs 20% or so worth of juice not being used. At least is what my dealer told me a while ago, some of you on here would probably fact check that but it's possible they just eased up some of that percentage. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yea I get the update from the dealers. From what I understand BMW keeps the battery from fully charging by 10% or so and keeps it from discharging by 10% or so, so theirs 20% or so worth of juice not being used. At least is what my dealer told me a while ago, some of you on here would probably fact check that but it's possible they just eased up some of that percentage. Who knows.
The 2017 OP and his SA are talking about likely refers to the larger 94Ah capacity battery back that will be going into i3's with the 2017 Model Year cycle (stars July 2017).

The EV range is projected to go up by 50% (from the average of ~80 miles to ~120 miles on BEV). Real world mileage will differ based on the climate, driving speed and style, among many variables.

a
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The 2017 OP and his SA are talking about likely refers to the larger 94Ah capacity battery back that will be going into i3's with the 2017 Model Year cycle (stars July 2017).

The EV range is projected to go up by 50% (from the average of ~80 miles to ~120 miles on BEV). Real world mileage will differ based on the climate, driving speed and style, among many variables.

a
Looks like an updated battery modules will be in my future. Maybe in a few years at least.

Who knows I'm wondering how far the backward compatibility will go as range gets better. It be great to think one day my 80 mile i3 would see 300 or 400 miles per charge one day lol.....

Then I'd never need a new car ..... But we know that won't happen, but then again ......
Appreciate 0