BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Garage Floor Coatings

Three years ago I moved and wanted to do something to the concrete garage floor before I filled it with so much stuff I'd never want to move everything again. Of course I thought the obvious choice was epoxy coating. I wanted DIY installation. The more research I did the more I realized there was a lot more to this decision than I thought. Prep challenges, easy of installation, costs, durability, repairability. After a lot of reading I came to the conclusion that epoxy might not be the best answer. I came across this vendor's site:

http://www.legacyindustrial.net/

Reading about all the different products I bought the 6525 concrete sealer. It was easy to install and for three years did a good job of sealing the floor from spills and dirt. I had chosen clear and although it worked as advertised it didn't hide all the old stains and spots on the floor. It was starting to wear out in the high traffic areas so I decided it was time to recoat. This time I picked the tinted version. Since the floor was already sealed it only took one coat to cover. Looks great. I like this product because prep is easy, application is just roll it on. Smell isn't too bad. Dries fast. Most important if you mess up an area just rough it up with a little sanding and reapply and you can't see the difference. For a big three car garage cost was a couple hundred bucks. Took me a couple of days but that was mostly moving stuff around. If it had been empty a day would have been easy.

Legacy has a bunch of different products and the FAQ is good info. No connection just a happy customer. There's some newer stuff that wasn't out three years ago I haven't looked into. Anyone else DIY their floors?

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

So how long have you had it. How durable has it been?

The Epoxy shyt from Home Depot never lasts.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Pics aren't working. Legacy Industrial has some great commercial-grade products. I just did a full flake Nohr-S polyurea floor and it came out great. Good customer service from Scott as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The first coats were done three years ago. I used two coats of clear. It didn't really wear out as much as got thinner over time. There were places you could tell were not protecting like it did new. In low traffic areas it was still perfect. I've seen the bad epoxy jobs start to fail and peal off. You don't get quality epoxy for the price of the Home Depot stuff. Then it's a problem to deal with removing to fix. That's my favorite part of this product. You can just add another coat as needed. It's not perfect for garages. I spilled some gas on it that sat for a while and it ate through it. I cleaned it up and recoated and you couldn't tell. Oil and winter muck just comes right off. I looked at the install instructions of the epoxy that Legacy sells and it scared me off trying. The price for quality epoxy for my application was well above $1k just for materials.

Can you see this one?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/peS78XdMbQf3HgYE9

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
The first coats were done three years ago. I used two coats of clear. It didn't really wear out as much as got thinner over time. There were places you could tell were not protecting like it did new. In low traffic areas it was still perfect. I've seen the bad epoxy jobs start to fail and peal off. You don't get quality epoxy for the price of the Home Depot stuff. Then it's a problem to deal with removing to fix. That's my favorite part of this product. You can just add another coat as needed. It's not perfect for garages. I spilled some gas on it that sat for a while and it ate through it. I cleaned it up and recoated and you couldn't tell. Oil and winter muck just comes right off. I looked at the install instructions of the epoxy that Legacy sells and it scared me off trying. The price for quality epoxy for my application was well above $1k just for materials.

Can you see this one?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/peS78XdMbQf3HgYE9

Positive . Your garage, floor, car and dog are visible

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Heck with the floor, your Corgi almost looks like a twin to mine
Attached Images

06-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dang they are close. Ours came from Kansas but they could be brothers.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Each type of coating has it’s pros and cons. Personally, I’m not a fan of Legacy products. My proffesinally installed epoxy floor lasted a little more than a year before it started peeling and turning yellow. No way it should have deteriorated as quickly as it did.

Best decision I made was to go with Racedeck. My 3 Plus year old floor still looks new and their customer service is top notch.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would be upset too. That shouldn't happen and at the price they charge it really shouldn't happen. Racedeck looks good, just an entirely different solution.
Appreciate 1
Hagasan41266.00
      06-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #10
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Op....what was the prep like for that product???? Prep is usually the worst. FYI my garage floor is old and stained, basically a mess. It needs a make over bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Op....what was the prep like for that product???? Prep is usually the worst. FYI my garage floor is old and stained, basically a mess. It needs a make over bad.
That was part of why I chose this stuff. I took some muriatic acid and sprayed it over the entire floor. Waited a bit and then hosed it down. Any grease spots need to be removed to the point that water will wet the area. I used tsp. Rinse really well and let it dry for a day. That was it. My floor wasn't too bad. I'm getting ready to do my son's house too. His floor has failed paint or something. Home Depot rents a floor sander that will strip and level. Looks like a bit more work.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
Each type of coating has it’s pros and cons. Personally, I’m not a fan of Legacy products. My proffesinally installed epoxy floor lasted a little more than a year before it started peeling and turning yellow. No way it should have deteriorated as quickly as it did.

Best decision I made was to go with Racedeck. My 3 Plus year old floor still looks new and their customer service is top notch.

How does Racedeck floor hold up if you're using a jack? Do the swivel wheels dig in after prolonged periods of being under load?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:

How does Racedeck floor hold up if you're using a jack? Do the swivel wheels dig in after prolonged periods of being under load?
Never had a problem with racedeck using jacks. If you are concerned put a 1/2 piece of plywood under the jacks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:

Agreed. Epoxy floorings really do vary on application.

We have almost the entire factory floor here epoxy coated and it sees so much more abuse than the average garage you almost wouldn't believe it. It lasts for at least a decade before we choose to redo any.

The last section I did was completed on Friday night and on Monday morning I drove a 35 ton forklift on it carrying a 15 ton piece of equipment and you couldn't even tell.

Sometimes you get what you pay for
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post

Sometimes you get what you pay for
I agree. In no way am I comparing my application to a multi thousand dollar job. My point was that there are good products at lower price points. Is it as good? No. Is it good value? I think so.
Appreciate 0