BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

white leather

Finding it Soooo frustrating to find the right roadster!. Really really want the turbine wheels, just now wanting to spend £4k for them when they were available for just £500 extra for someone ordering the car from new!.

anyways, Iv found a roadster that not bad, low miles, turbine wheels, But, it has the white leather interior ugh!!!.

has anyone had an i8 with the white leather and how easy is it to keep the interior looking nice fresh and new?

am worried the white leather will look grubby quickly but the dealer assures me that for only £400 extra they will add an autoglass interior protector on it to keep it looking nice.

or should i just keep looking for another roadster with the dark interior and the turbine wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
My wife had a car with white leather. It looked nice when it was new but was impossible to keep clean. Even the blue from my Levi’s would rub off on it. Cleaning didn’t even work very well with leather cleaner and after a few years the leather looked worn I think quicker because of the creases in the leather.

When I bought my i8 the one thing I was sure of was that I didn’t want the white leather interior. I didn’t care too much for the brown either. I found a car with the dark grey leather after a wide search as there are some out there. I might have paid a little extra for it, but in my opinion was well worth it. It still looks like new after 5 years.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

You will need a good detailer to go over the interior with specific products before you start using it. Modern products work well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokodil View Post
Finding it Soooo frustrating to find the right roadster!. Really really want the turbine wheels, just now wanting to spend £4k for them when they were available for just £500 extra for someone ordering the car from new!.

anyways, Iv found a roadster that not bad, low miles, turbine wheels, But, it has the white leather interior ugh!!!.

has anyone had an i8 with the white leather and how easy is it to keep the interior looking nice fresh and new?

am worried the white leather will look grubby quickly but the dealer assures me that for only £400 extra they will add an autoglass interior protector on it to keep it looking nice.

or should i just keep looking for another roadster with the dark interior and the turbine wheels?
I have some experience of light leather, my first i8 had light grey which did get grubby but was easy to clean - had that two years. Recently got a replacement coupe with white interior and the dealer did the Autoglym protection inside and out as part of the deal (I know we all pay for it somehow but a I think I got a good deal). One thousand miles in and no issues at all, I know this is early days but I think if you keep on top of it like I did with the dark grey then I don’t think it’s an issue. Also, I don’t wear denim so that staining isn’t a problem for me. Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:26 AM   #5
Culminator
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

My 2015 Coupe has white leather and it's not been a problem for me. With Sophisto grey exterior, the light interior makes a good contrast.
Appreciate 2
ChiTownM1050.00
      04-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

I don't have white, mines carum spice (a light putty colour). After 20k miles it's still fine, but i wont eat in the car or wear jeans.

That said, it's the lightest that i chose to go.

Even beige or light grey is a little more forgiving than white. However, lifes too short, get what your heart desires, that's what an i8 is all about.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

+1 on the turbine wheels. I have them and love them!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
My 2015 Coupe has white leather and it's not been a problem for me. With Sophisto grey exterior, the light interior makes a good contrast.
Same here, one of the first owners with the 2014 launch edition, the color holds up, I drive to soccer and wear jeans etc., just detail it every now and then. I like the look and feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Mine has white leather. I've had the car for 5 years now, and it still looks new.

I do look after it though, and v rarely wear denim.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #10
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I wear demin often and cleaned the white leather once after 6 months, easy to get into "looks like new" state.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:11 AM   #11
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Mines got the light leather interior, I wouldn't call in white, more cream, but its still pretty much immaculate 4 years and 11000 miles in. I wear jeans, suit, shorts, whatever in it tbh! I do much prefer the lighter colour interior on the car, it seems to suit it to me, (But I do love the newer copper colour, would've had that for sure if it had been available at the time!!).
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2020, 05:16 AM   #12
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Mines got the light leather interior, I wouldn't call in white, more cream, but its still pretty much immaculate 4 years and 11000 miles in. I wear jeans, suit, shorts, whatever in it tbh! I do much prefer the lighter colour interior on the car, it seems to suit it to me, (But I do love the newer copper colour, would've had that for sure if it had been available at the time!!).

Thanks for the reply - iv switched my mind back to the dark grey leather interior car that my holding deposit is sitting on. Im not the best at car cleaning apart from a quick interior hoover at the garage!.

I too liked the copper but I keep seeing small vauxhall and renault or is it dacia eco - hatchbacks in the copper and now iv gone off the copper.

The car I put my deposit down on before the lockdown is white with dark grey interior. Think Ill stick with this plan and perhaps order the turbine wheels for it. Then Iv got more or less the car that I want myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5mc & 2006 M Roadster

You may be pleasantly surprised at how the black wheels work with the crystal white exterior. I have that in my roadster with the grey highlights. Given that the color scheme is black white and some grey, the turbine wheels may not compliment as well as the black wheels.
Appreciate 0