Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #23
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I would get one for my commute but trading it in for the drive?! Thats just plain silly
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Congrats!
I test drove an i3 3 weeks ago and yes: it was really fun to drive! I didn't expect that before the test drive. It pulls really hard from 0 to 60kph.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

How long does it take for a full charge when you're low?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
I agree with Tom's comments above, and I think this is why electric will take off...it is simply a better DRIVING experience. EVs get caught up in all the political, environmental, and cost savings rhetoric, but, at the end of the day people buy CARS for how well they work as CARS. The tech is currently a bit pricey and has limitations, but that's temporary. The tech will improve, prices will come down, and adoption will become the norm simply because it makes for a nicer "car". One key to my assumption is where the early adopters are coming from. Sure some want to save the world, make a political statement, etc. BUT many are the "car guys" (like me, and most of us on these forums), and believe me, we are often as surprised as anyone that we are here in the EV space! I went from my M5 to a Volt. A buddy of mine traded his M5 for Caddy CTS-V...and is now getting a Focus Electric. Several owners on the Volt forums came from BMWs and while their initial interest was often peaked by the idea of saving money or HOV lane access, it is the driving that has surprised them. Heck, one guy traded his Jag in for one...and a Year or so later he traded in his CTS-V for a second one. The times they are a changin'...
If you look for my other posts in this i Forum, you'll see I've made good arguments for the Volt. If I had a commute that met the intended performance envelope of the Volt, I'd get one in a heartbeat. I test drove one in late 2012 after all the Fox News bashing of it in an effort to make it look like a greencar from the Obama administration; us car guys know GM started development on the Volt over 15 years ago when Obama wasn't yet even in the Senate. As a single vehicle that one can own that is both an EV and a car without range limitations, to me, right now it's the best vehicle of choice for a Suburbanite.

But I slightly disagree with Tom's statements because I think most people buy a car that meets their needs, and one they enjoy to drive and can afford. Driving an EV is an eye opening experience as mine was when I drove the Volt; but with my commute, it's not the most economical choice. I've done extensive calculations on both the Volt and the Tesla S to fit my commute, which is unique to say the least, but not terribly uncommon, the numbers just don't work out. A reasonably priced, fuel efficient, sedan still beats both the Volt and Tesla when total ownership costs are considered. The high purchase price has been one of the negatives put against the Volt, but on a BMW i3 Forum, this point is rarely made. To be honest regarding the environment, EV owners also need to accept that battery manufacture and disposal has its own impact on the environment and world political stage (lithium production) and that most electricity (in the US at least) is not produced without some carbon emissions. From what I've researched, the payback on EVs is quite high and dependent upon battery longevity. EV battery systems are warranted anywhere between 80,000 - 120,000 miles, which in most instances is below the payback period for the vehicle price differential at current fuel prices.

With statements such as "Welcome to the future" and "Electronaut" and "spaceship", it got a bit thick for me; it's good to deal in reality once and awhile. I am happy for the OP and his ownership of the i3; it has obviously made him very happy, which is most of the point of a car purchase in the beginning.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-16-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #27
grilodan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5, 2017 BMW X6M

Loving the i3, but god alive, when will we see some of those sexy Orange ones on the roads?

Even in shows BMW is playing it so safe now. I absolutely love the i3 in that color, I think it needs a little something different to stand out.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #28
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

snow black
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #29
TeutonicFlight
Keepin It Real
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 crew

Saw one cruising along the 110 arroyo area yesterday. Butt ugly.

Never Mistake Activity for Achievement
Parking lots
C Mod
84'
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #30
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny
Until it can use a DCQC Level 3, to long for me.

Congrats to the OP

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #31
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

<3 for the i3. Congrats OP. Though I hate to think what future elecricity rates will be once this technology takes off. Heck, the power grid here can hardly handle cold snaps during winter, and I'm already paying thru the nose as is.

Last edited by pimple; 02-16-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I totally did the "Why is there no sound?" hit the volume up button thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #33
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Love the thought of electrical vehicles, but the range and costs don't fit my needs. This will be for those who want to be environmentally friendly, but have the cash to do it. And it's definitely not a tuner car lol.... To each their own.

Congrats on your new baby OP!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimple View Post
<3 for the i3. Congrats OP. Though I hate to think what future elecricity rates will be once this technology takes off. Heck, the power grid here can hardly handle cold snaps during winter, and I'm already paying thru the nose as is.
Or when the Terrorists take down the grid!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #35
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Congrats on the new ride! I liked seeing the video of the I3 playing in the snow, I didn't expect to see that. The I3 does not make sense for my commute/needs and I could not afford it along with an M2 in couple years. Regardless I still think it is a very cool car and it will go a long way towards EVs being a viable option. If the situation was right it would be great to have an I3 for the DD and keep an M car at home waiting for the weekends.

Keep us informed and give us an update in a month or so on how you are integrating it into your routine. I'm really interested to see how new I3 owners will make the best of the limited range and access to a recharge station.
      02-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #36
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Or when the Terrorists take down the grid!
Hmm. How exactly do you plan on pumping gasoline? After Superstorm Sandy, we didn't have gas for almost a week.

A nice solar panel array on OP's roof should keep him going well into the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you look for my other posts in this i Forum, you'll see I've made good arguments for the Volt. If I had a commute that met the intended performance envelope of the Volt, I'd get one in a heartbeat. I test drove one in late 2012 after all the Fox News bashing of it in an effort to make it look like a greencar from the Obama administration; us car guys know GM started development on the Volt over 15 years ago when Obama wasn't yet even in the Senate. As a single vehicle that one can own that is both an EV and a car without range limitations, to me, right now it's the best vehicle of choice for a Suburbanite.

But I slightly disagree with Tom's statements because I think most people buy a car that meets their needs, and one they enjoy to drive and can afford. Driving an EV is an eye opening experience as mine was when I drove the Volt; but with my commute, it's not the most economical choice. I've done extensive calculations on both the Volt and the Tesla S to fit my commute, which is unique to say the least, but not terribly uncommon, the numbers just don't work out. A reasonably priced, fuel efficient, sedan still beats both the Volt and Tesla when total ownership costs are considered. The high purchase price has been one of the negatives put against the Volt, but on a BMW i3 Forum, this point is rarely made. To be honest regarding the environment, EV owners also need to accept that battery manufacture and disposal has its own impact on the environment and world political stage (lithium production) and that most electricity (in the US at least) is not produced without some carbon emissions. From what I've researched, the payback on EVs is quite high and dependent upon battery longevity. EV battery systems are warranted anywhere between 80,000 - 120,000 miles, which in most instances is below the payback period for the vehicle price differential at current fuel prices.

With statements such as "Welcome to the future" and "Electronaut" and "spaceship", it got a bit thick for me; it's good to deal in reality once and awhile. I am happy for the OP and his ownership of the i3; it has obviously made him very happy, which is most of the point of a car purchase in the beginning.
Your comments about whether the EVs fit your commute are totally valid. Indeed, the fact that my own commute aligned well with the Volt's EV range was a big factor in my choice of that car. Now, however, I am looking beyond just thing like "range" and "saving money" in my next EV candidate. Look where we are...we are on a BMW forum. A Camry is a much better cost proposition than a 3 series...true at initial purchase and TCO is worse still with a BMW (esp if you dare to own post warranty). The whole "pay you back" discussion seems to be reserved for EVs. No one asks how long a 335i takes to pay you back over a Camry, or how long the leather seats take to pay you back over cloth, or turbo 6, or M-sport packages take to pay you back. My argument is that an EV drivetrain is, in and of itself, a "feature" worth having even if it never saved you a dime. The more powerful ones are worth just that much more.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Since I retired, over 90% of my driving is local, and since I do live in a small city, everything is within 10-miles, and often much less (the grocery store is like 1/4-mile away and the mall about a mile). So, I'd like an EV so my ICE doesn't get hit by all of the short trips where it does not have a chance to get fully warmed up...I think there are a fair amount of people in my situation where something like the i3 makes sense, maybe not as an only car, but something to take the excessive wear off their 'trip' car, where they need to go further, carry more people or luggage, or just want to. While I'm not ready to make an i3 my only vehicle, if I opted for the option to either rent or pre-pay BMW to use one of their vehicles, it might, but that may not work out in the near term. Still need time to try one out and check out the fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #39
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I charge at work for free, its about 15km/hour. But now its winter, probably better when the temperatures increase.

The i-remote app is pretty cool. Can check how the charging is doing, start heating, check where the car is for the moment, etc. Nice feature when my daughter is using the car
Attached Images

Last edited by Touring; 02-16-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #40
BMWnStuff
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Are those tires? I feel like I could cut pizza with them..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #41
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have to say, watching the c-net video of the orange one, pretty cool looking little car actually. More VW-esque than BMW IMHO, but a cool little car. Better looking in the videos than pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #42
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what you consider low and the type of charger you're using (there are three) - in the USA, home line voltage - about 8-hours from 'empty'; with a 240-vac (electric dryer type circuit) and charging box, about 3-hours; with a commercial (unlikely to get one of these for your home) DC-Fast charge, about 20-minutes to 80%, then it switches to more of a trickle charger to top it off, so it depends. It comes with a cord you can plug into a standard 15A electrical plug in the USA, and, if you want the DCFC option ability, you have to order it with the car. There aren't many of those around but many more are promised in the next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #43
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Depends on what you consider low and the type of charger you're using (there are three) - in the USA, home line voltage - about 8-hours from 'empty'; with a 240-vac (electric dryer type circuit) and charging box, about 3-hours; with a commercial (unlikely to get one of these for your home) DC-Fast charge, about 20-minutes to 80%, then it switches to more of a trickle charger to top it off, so it depends. It comes with a cord you can plug into a standard 15A electrical plug in the USA, and, if you want the DCFC option ability, you have to order it with the car. There aren't many of those around but many more are promised in the next year.
Mainly just curious to see what stopping to 'refuel' is like for an electric car. Sounds like we're talking about a 20 minute pit stop to re-charge, provided you plan trips well enough around locations where that's possible. If that's the case, that's not bad at all. I see people re-charging at work, so was just curious as to whether this was a 'drive 100 miles, sit for 4 hours, drive 100 miles, sit for 4 hours' kind of thing..

What is intriguing to me about this car, would be if there is ever an i-x5 or whatever that would be called (electric X5). This would be great for my wife, as most of her driving is local. But the family car is also what we'd be using for vacations and weekend trips, so 80 - 100 miles wouldn't cut it unless we knew we could charge along the way without it adding 50% or more to our travel time (no desire to keep the kids in the car longer than we need to!). I did hear something on the c-net review about a program BMW offers to give you gas vehicles for long trips, so maybe there's promise there. But they'd have to make an i version of the X5 first, or at least an i5 or something, in wagon format.

Last edited by chrisny; 02-16-2014 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #44
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mainly just curious to see what stopping to 'refuel' is like for an electric car. Sounds like we're talking about a 20 minute pit stop to re-charge, provided you plan trips well enough around locations where that's possible. If that's the case, that's not bad at all. I see people re-charging at work, so was just curious as to whether this was a 'drive 100 miles, sit for 4 hours, drive 100 miles, sit for 4 hours' kind of thing..

What is intriguing to me about this car, would be if there is ever an i-x5 or whatever that would be called (electric X5). This would be great for my wife, as most of her driving is local. But the family car is also what we'd be using for vacations and weekend trips, so 80 - 100 miles wouldn't cut it unless we knew we could charge along the way without it adding 50% or more to our travel time (no desire to keep the kids in the car longer than we need to!). I did hear something on the c-net review about a program BMW offers to give you gas vehicles for long trips, so maybe there's promise there. But they'd have to make an i version of the X5 first, or at least an i5 or something, in wagon format.
The i3 isn't designed for, or probably all that great for an extended drive. BMW has defined and has said they would offer the prepaid borrowing of a larger vehicle for extended trips, or even just for a few hours if you needed to carry more people or things. Whether that would work out or not would depend on your vehicle use patterns and where you lived relative to the dealer (mine is about 1/3-mile away). Cold weather does sap more from the batteries while trying to keep you warm in the vehicle (not so much for the actual driving the thing, but for heat and defrosting so you can actually see and be comfortable). Conversely, a/c isn't as bad. Long, sustained highway trips with little stop and go with no regenerative braking, up a long slope, with the cabin toasty, and you can suck some watts out of the thing fairly quickly. Cruise along on the flat at a lower speed, you'll go further.
Appreciate 0