Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

08-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #23
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
The buyer market for people that are willing to shell out $73,000 in cash for a second hand vehicle is extremely small, and they'll want Porsches, not a BMW electric. OP will have issues with this one.
You are looking at this wrong and assuming the person will finance the whole transaction. With $10-20k down most credit unions will finance this car with no issue.

Also the market is there, just I wouldn't pay it and I'll wait.
      08-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #24
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
You're looking at the wrong level of wealth there... if they already have Porsches and want to play around with that new thing over there for a few months, pick one up for their wife, etc.

I watched a guy throw in a 3 series sitting in the showroom for his kid while picking up his B7 like it was a pack of gum at the counter while getting my car serviced.
I doubt he will get a car from some random guy on Craigslist.
      08-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #25
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
You are looking at this wrong and assuming the person will finance the whole transaction. With $10-20k down most credit unions will finance this car with no issue.

Also the market is there, just I wouldn't pay it and I'll wait.
I did mention "unless there's a large deposit" in my post

I don't think $10,000-$20,000 would be sufficient on a second hand car that is marked up $15,000 above new MSRP. Any decent underwriter would not sign off on that loan.

Last edited by cruzer666; 08-09-2022 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #26
bimmerguy401
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M Comp

Haters make me smile! I drink Haterade for breakfast.

I also never said I was rich, I am just well off - because I work my ass off. I have multiple hustles and so yeah $15,000 adds to my top line.

I own laundromats, an insurance restoration company, a marijuana cultivation company, I do Turo and AirBnb and I make about $350,000 a year W2. My businesses take care of my vehicles, my healthcare and most of my day to day expenses. I own five cars and a two million dollar house. Hardly "Rich" but definitely not "Poor."

I listed the car on here and if you are interested great, if not that's fine too!

The dealer I bought the car from sold an iX for $16,000 over sticker so I am not being totally unreasonable IMO.

I appreciate all of the comments and the feedback it's worthy if discussion. At the end of the day it will either sell or it will not sell and I am okay with either outcome. I hope everyone has a blessed day.

Peace and Love ✌️ ❤️
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:10 PM   #27
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy401 View Post
Haters make me smile! I drink Haterade for breakfast.

I also never said I was rich, I am just well off - because I work my ass off. I have multiple hustles and so yeah $15,000 adds to my top line.

I own laundromats, an insurance restoration company, a marijuana cultivation company, I do Turo and AirBnb and I make about $350,000 a year W2. My businesses take care of my vehicles, my healthcare and most of my day to day expenses. I own five cars and a two million dollar house. Hardly "Rich" but definitely not "Poor."

I listed the car on here and if you are interested great, if not that's fine too!

The dealer I bought the car from sold an iX for $16,000 over sticker so I am not being totally unreasonable IMO.

I appreciate all of the comments and the feedback it's worthy if discussion. At the end of the day it will either sell or it will not sell and I am okay with either outcome. I hope everyone has a blessed day.

Peace and Love ✌️ ❤️
I personally don't think it's unreasonable, not that my opinion matters. I think it helps that the tax credit law is changing and the m50 won't be eligible so factoring that out it really is only a 15k markup and seems to leave room for negotiating. I personally wouldn't buy it without the credit even at msrp, but that's me. I also don't trust people enough to want to sell a 75k vehicle to some rando.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 09:57 PM   #28
sfi4
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered), Polestar 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy401 View Post
🤮 OK I want a BMW less now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 10:44 PM   #29
scLA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05

I've been thinking a lot about the OP's situation. Honestly I can't fault him for charging what he believes the market will pay for an item. When I sell things on eBay I do the same thing. Do I think $15k over MSRP is nuts for a used car? Yes, but someone may pay it.

That lead me to thinking about why I find dealer markups so offensive. The issue for me there is dealers are the only means to get the car. Luckily there are some dealers not charging markups, but customers need to work hard to find those options.

I'm a believer in demand-based pricing and if BMW truly felt there was enough demand for the car at higher prices they should have set the MSRP accordingly. However, it's not fair to consumers to make the car exclusively available through dealerships and then let the dealers mark up the car however much they want. Why have an MSRP at all at the point? They could just let the dealers set the price at any level.

Which gets me back to the OP. He's one person selling one car and he can charge whatever he wants for it. But the exclusive sellers of the car (the dealerships) should have to adhere to manufacturer suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:10 PM   #30
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazLA View Post
I've been thinking a lot about the OP's situation. Honestly I can't fault him for charging what he believes the market will pay for an item. When I sell things on eBay I do the same thing. Do I think $15k over MSRP is nuts for a used car? Yes, but someone may pay it.

That lead me to thinking about why I find dealer markups so offensive. The issue for me there is dealers are the only means to get the car. Luckily there are some dealers not charging markups, but customers need to work hard to find those options.

I'm a believer in demand-based pricing and if BMW truly felt there was enough demand for the car at higher prices they should have set the MSRP accordingly. However, it's not fair to consumers to make the car exclusively available through dealerships and then let the dealers mark up the car however much they want. Why have an MSRP at all at the point? They could just let the dealers set the price at any level.

Which gets me back to the OP. He's one person selling one car and he can charge whatever he wants for it. But the exclusive sellers of the car (the dealerships) should have to adhere to manufacturer suggestions.
I believe in a free market.
If he gets bidders and people pay $30k over I'm happy for him. At $15k over someone that wants it now will buy it and the one thing I learned long ago "fair exchange isn't robbery".

If the person knows what he is selling and willing to pay the price, nobody is cheated.
      08-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #31
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

what a dick
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #32
WER2XU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cars & Bikes

If you feel like you need to list your net worth, your home value and how many cars you own...in order to sell a car...well maybe you are doing it wrong.

Hamlet Act III Scene II, Queen Gertrude.
Appreciate 4
      08-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #33
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

@bimmerguy401

Whilst I don't agree with what you're doing I also know in some circumstances I would do the same.

Also teach me your ways im just a worker bee. Lmao
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #34
natemg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW I4M50 2022 BMW X545e

I get the sense that he's humblebragging, trolling or both. It also could be his sales tactic as in "Look I have two, I'll sell it for 10k over MSRP or I'm just going to let it sit in my garage while you sorry turds have to wait.
According to him he now owns 2 M BMW's two m lites and soon to have a x4m. I know people that have enough money to buy cars like that but none of them do. None of them would just buy a depreciating asset and stick it in the garage. Demand is only going to go down for it when BMW starts pumping them out. Dude also seems very dedicated to BMW's... sure I guess he may have left out that he also has 3 Porsche's 2 Ferrari's, 4 Mercs a Rolls and a Bentley.

In my younger years I would be all like "I want to be this guy" but I guess I'm just old. I don't want multiple cars for myself to drive, a $75k car to me is already bordering on too much money for a car. Even taking if I can afford it or not out of the equation, I just don't like to be that flashy / be judged on what I drive. I have an amazing wife, two awesome kids.

Good luck to this guy if he's real. I wouldn't buy a used car for 10k over sticker no matter how much I wanted it, maybe there really is someone out there that will.
Appreciate 0