Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

BMW Power Dominates at Barber GRAND-AM

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Power Dominates at Barber GRAND-AM
COMMENTS
Name:  telmexbmwBarber.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  67.3 KB

Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. --- April 12, 2011… BMW drivers dominated this past Saturday’s GRAND-AM event at Barber Motorsports Park, in Birmingham, Alabama, taking three of four class wins in Rolex Sports Car Series and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge competition.

Rolex Sports Car Series:

In Rolex Sports Car Series competition the No. 01 TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates BMW Powered Riley took its third consecutive Daytona Prototype win of the season. The defending class champion drivers Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas have now won an amazing 12 of 14 races dating to the beginning of the 2010 season. The second BMW Powered car in the class, the No. 61AIM Autosport entry driven by Mark Wilkens and Burt Frisselle, finished fourth.

In the GT class the only BMW in the field, the No. 94 Turner Motorsport BMW M3 of Bill Auberlen and Paul Dalla Lana, took a second consecutive class win. The win moved the duo and Turner Motorsport to a share of the lead driver and team point standings respectively.

Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge:

In the Grand Sports (GS) class five BMW M3s finished in the top-10 despite a recent competition adjustment limiting the maximum engine speed to 8250 rpm. Turner Motorsport was the top-finishing BMW team with the No. 96 machine of Bill Auberlen and Paul Dalla Lana finishing in second place. The result was the team’s third consecutive podium finish of the season, including a win at Homestead-Miami Speedway and Auberlen and Dalla Lana continue to lead the GS driver point standings. The No. 97 Turner Motorsport M3 of Joey Hand and Michael Marsal finished sixth. 2010 GS champions Fall-Line Motorsport also placed two M3s in the top-10, finishing fourth with the No. 46 machine and ninth with the No. 45 car. Rum Bum Racing finished seventh with the No. 13 M3.

In the Street Tuner (ST) class Doran Racing had a season’s-best second place finish in the No. 14 BMW 128i of Tim Bell and BJ Zacharias. The RACE EPIC/Murillo Racing No. 56 BMW 328i of Jesse Combs and Jeff Mosing finished third. The Insight Racing BMW 328i of Jeff Westphal and Nico Rondet finished ninth to make it three BMW in the top-10 ST class finishers.

The Barber Motorsports Park weekend was also shared by the IZOD IndyCar Series. The top open wheel racing series in North America is the goal of many drivers, among them graduates of BMW’s worldwide Formula BMW series that began in this country in 2004.

In Saturday’s qualifying session for the Honda Indy Car Grand Prix of Alabama three Formula BMW alumni garnered mid-field starting positions. In his Indy Car debut, 2004 Formula BMW USA Junior James Hinchcliffe qualified eighth. Two spots behind is fellow 2004FBUSA Junior Graham Rahal in 10th. 2006 Formula BMW graduate Simona de Silvestro qualified 13th and from the FB class of 2006 and 2007 Sebastian Saavedra placed 26th after problems in the session.

Photo courtesy of chipganassiracing.com

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Only 8250 RPM, what kind of motors to these race cars have?
      04-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Good Job to the teams involved.

BMW Power for the Win!

Chip Ganassi runs a tight ship, shame that the NASCAR package isn't as good.. Go 42!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Only 8250 RPM, what kind of motors to these race cars have?
The ones that were limited to 8250 RPM were M3s, so they are S65 engines.

I have to wonder if the rev limit was imposed because the new Boss 302Rs couldn't keep up last season? From what I understand a Mustang won this race.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Mustangs are hideously fast and don't cost much, but the ride with the track suspension is unbearable. I test drove four of them and never could connect with the car then wound up spending about $7k more for a 135i.
      04-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I believe the Turner M3 in the Rolex GT class also recieved a rev reduction. Eventhough it has the S62 from the e39 M5.

They still won the race.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The ones that were limited to 8250 RPM were M3s, so they are S65 engines.

I have to wonder if the rev limit was imposed because the new Boss 302Rs couldn't keep up last season? From what I understand a Mustang won this race.
Honestly this should be front page news.

There is no doubt they gave the M3's a rpm-limit because the were eating the Boss 302R for lunch.

Ford was and still is on a huge marketing campaign for the Boss 302R. In which they are attacking the M3. They claim it laps Laguna Seca faster than the M3, but it had R-comp tires.

But when it actually comes down to "real races", the M3 needs competition adjustments to make it run with a Boss 302R.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I believe the Turner M3 in the Rolex GT class also recieved a rev reduction. Eventhough it has the S62 from the e39 M5.
Wow, didn't know that about the Turner M3. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Honestly this should be front page news.

There is no doubt they gave the M3's a rpm-limit because the were eating the Boss 302R for lunch.
Right? I mean that 440hp 5.0L V8 is really nice, but I think Ford's next step clearly needs to be a new chassis. They've done amazing things with the S197 platform, but a brand new RWD platform should be at the top of their todo list. As I understand it, the current rumor is that they'll borrow from the next generation Falcon for the next Mustang which should be a step in the right direction.
Appreciate 0