Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
GAINZ
Frozen M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Lime Rock Park Memorial Day Weekend

It was up in Lakeville, CT (Lime Rock)

Anyone there this weekend?

I was there today, it was pretty fun. A lot of people and a lot of bimmers there. The M3's in the Grand Sport race did really well. They were up against a lot of Camaros, Caymans, and the occasional Mustang. They were real strong on the straights and in the turns. Best overall performance for sure.
F10 Comp M5 - Frozen Cashmere Silver/Sakhir Orange | Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser |Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Macht Schnell 12mm & 10mm Spacers | AMS Catless Downpipes | Meisterschaft GTC + LXR Pipe | BM3 Stage 2 |
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Yup, I was there, as were a bunch of other NJ CCA folks. Nice day for a race, and the crowd was pretty good size for a Continental race. LRP is a great place to go if you drive a Bimmer. You get to park nose out on the infield entry road. It looks cool and you can make a fast escape after the race.

I'll be back tomorrow to watch the Rolex race, but today I'm off to NJMP to watch the Historics.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
GAINZ
Frozen M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Yup, I was there, as were a bunch of other NJ CCA folks. Nice day for a race, and the crowd was pretty good size for a Continental race. LRP is a great place to go if you drive a Bimmer. You get to park nose out on the infield entry road. It looks cool and you can make a fast escape after the race.

I'll be back tomorrow to watch the Rolex race, but today I'm off to NJMP to watch the Historics.
Sounds good. Yeah, I went with my father and parked his 650i on that same road. It was nice seeing a lot of good bimmers there.

I noticed there were so many Turner Motorsport fans there. I have bought things from them in the past, always a good company to deal with. Their drivers did pretty well yesterday..and their cars..I'm very impressed.

Did you see that STi? It was a monster.
F10 Comp M5 - Frozen Cashmere Silver/Sakhir Orange | Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser |Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Macht Schnell 12mm & 10mm Spacers | AMS Catless Downpipes | Meisterschaft GTC + LXR Pipe | BM3 Stage 2 |
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post

Any idea why they cancelled the Blue Angels show? It would have been a great combo between that and NJMP Historics.

I'm heading out to LRP tomorrow for the Rolex race too, should be fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

My son and I drove up to Lime Rock yesterday to watch the Memorial Day Classic race (Grand-Am Daytona Prototypes and GTs). The highlight of the day for me was talking to the legendary Skip Barber and getting some LRP driving tips from Ozz Negri, who with co-driver John Pew placed 2nd in the Crown Royal XR Ford Riley DP Car. It's amazing watching the skill of these drivers lapping Lime Rock with the chicane configuration and much slower GT cars on the track in under 55 seconds average for the entire race.
Attached Images

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 06-01-2011 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I was there Saturday, had a great time. Shame about the Miata that had that really bad accident. he was winning that race.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

^ I would have liked to stay and watch the final SCCA Mazda MX-5 Cup spec-series race after the Grand-Am race on Monday afternoon. The spec-series races are where the talents of some entry-level drivers really stand out. It’s pretty amazing watching the best of these young drivers rotating their essentially stock, 200 hp Miatas around Lime Rock in average lap times of 61 to 65 seconds during a 45 minute race.

My personal goal is to achieve consistent lap times of 65 seconds (average speed of 83 mph) or better in a spec Miata on a relatively clear track at Lime Rock, and it isn’t as easy as it sounds! That's just one of the reasons why I'm so impressed with talented MX-5 drivers at Lime Rock.
      06-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
I was there Saturday, had a great time. Shame about the Miata that had that really bad accident. he was winning that race.
Are you sure the Miata leading the race had an accident? I'm the driver of the #6 car that won the saturday race and was leading the monday race until the halfway point when until my aggressive use of the curbing at the chicane caught up with me and punctured my tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the///Mthree View Post
Are you sure the Miata leading the race had an accident? I'm the driver of the #6 car that won the saturday race and was leading the monday race until the halfway point when until my aggressive use of the curbing at the chicane caught up with me and punctured my tire.
Hey I saw that... well not the curbing, but the by product and your trip into the pits... I wondered why you didnt just change tires and go back out ??? was there more to it ?? You were doing great... sorry for the puncture.

I was there with the NutMeg Miata Club... They have a great set up on the hill by the Chalet. Tent, Food, adult beverages, about 50-70 Miata's.. Its always a great day...
      06-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Such a shame, Andrew is only 22 and such a nice guy. He was up and racing this past weekend at Watkins Glen though, I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Hey I saw that... well not the curbing, but the by product and your trip into the pits... I wondered why you didnt just change tires and go back out ??? was there more to it ?? You were doing great... sorry for the puncture.

I was there with the NutMeg Miata Club... They have a great set up on the hill by the Chalet. Tent, Food, adult beverages, about 50-70 Miata's.. Its always a great day...
Now that I think about it you might be talking about the yellow car that was leading the race for a lap or two before getting hit by a lapped car. He inherited the lead when i got the flat tire after leading the first 27 laps.
Appreciate 0