Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #4731
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

I have nothing to add to this thread except I find it entertaining to call out a cop on speed trap... where he writes 40-50 tickets a day.

I was pulled over in my highly modified ram TRX which runs a 10.1-10.2 1/4 mile. He said I rolled the stop sign so I point to my screen and say "no officer my gyrometer records the prior data and see the dot is dead center, but u do like the speed trap you set up in your ghost lettered Camaro where you sit in the turning lanes with a fake left turn signal on to try and catch speeders then throw a u-turn into traffic to pull them over".

He looks and ask me what I'm talking about with a smirk on his face, I response "I see you" and "I was the guy in the Dodge Demon you thought you were going to pull over and got on my tail but I was crystal clean".

He looks at me and says "oh*laughs* I write just a few tickets in the morning, but I'll give you just a warning for the stop sign today".

My casual response...... "couldn't they at least get you something faster than the SS Camaro". He replies "these are fast", my casual response..... "unless it says 200 on the dash it has no smoke to give".

I then proceed to show him one of my older 211mph runs in another one of my cars are we had a good time. I love cops. They're just people too and when you show them you're not the average daily Jackass alls good!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      10-31-2021, 02:15 PM   #4732
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

So, in a similar vein to the tiered license discussion, thoughts on hyper-e-bikes that can do 60 mph?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...atory-backlash

Quote:
Earlier this month Dutch e-bike maker VanMoof unveiled its powerful new V model, which comes with two motors, a 700-watt engine, and a top speed of 37 miles per hour. With an expected price of $3,598 in the United States, the V is scheduled to hit the streets at the end of 2022.

For a bicycle, the V is fast — really fast. To offer a comparison, 37 mph exceeds the all-time record for average speed in a Tour de France time trial. Rather than call the V an e-bike, VanMoof describes it as a “hyperbike,” a term the company created. Cofounder Ties Carlier says that the V “will be the most efficient and comfortable way to get around cities like London, Tokyo and Los Angeles.”

VanMoof is not the only company pushing the envelope on a bike’s speed and power. A New Zealand company called Speedi offers a device that can supposedly hack an e-bike’s sensors to boost speed by 50%. Meanwhile, the Vintage Electric Roadster already goes 40 mph, and a vehicle called the Revolution X is advertised as reaching 60 mph. (Such bikes typically have a setting that can restrict speed.) These machines are blurring the already murky distinctions between electric bikes and faster, more powerful mopeds, motor scooters, and motorcycles.

From a policymaking perspective, should a 37-mph e-bike still count as a bicycle, or should it be regulated like faster vehicles with a throttle? Motorcycles and mopeds are often subject to an array of laws and restrictions that e-bikes aren’t, such as license plate mandates, helmet requirements, and special driver’s licenses. Such distinctions break down for the new class of high-speed e-bikes. After all, any two-wheeled vehicles traveling at 40 mph likely create comparable risk to the rider as well as other street users.
Could be the impetus we need to overhaul things.

Also, relevant to BMWs :

Quote:
Carlier says he doesn’t expect V riders to go flat-out on a downtown ride; automobiles, he notes, are almost always driven well below their top speeds (which, notably, are far above prevailing speed limits). “Twenty miles per hour is very suitable for the center city,” he says.“The V is a bike for going outside the city. We’re looking beyond the bike lane.” Carlier envisions cyclists using the V to commute from th e suburbs, mixing with cars and trucks on main roads as they approach the urban boundary — at which point V riders will slow before continuing their journey.

Carlier says that VanMoof is in discussions with Dutch cities about arranging a geofence that uses sensors to automatically slow speedy V riders who cross into a designated area. The use of such geofences is now common with shared scooters, though it is seldom seen on privately owned vehicles. But the idea seems to be catching on: BMW recently introduced a concept bike that also accommodates geofenced speeds.

Aware of the V’s power, Carlier believes that government oversight is necessary. “There should be a minimum age and driver’s license,” he says. But he demurs on other possible limitations, such as requiring insurance or limiting where a V could be ridden.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #4733
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
I have nothing to add to this thread except I find it entertaining to call out a cop on speed trap... where he writes 40-50 tickets a day.

I was pulled over in my highly modified ram TRX which runs a 10.1-10.2 1/4 mile. He said I rolled the stop sign so I point to my screen and say "no officer my gyrometer records the prior data and see the dot is dead center, but u do like the speed trap you set up in your ghost lettered Camaro where you sit in the turning lanes with a fake left turn signal on to try and catch speeders then throw a u-turn into traffic to pull them over".

He looks and ask me what I'm talking about with a smirk on his face, I response "I see you" and "I was the guy in the Dodge Demon you thought you were going to pull over and got on my tail but I was crystal clean".

He looks at me and says "oh*laughs* I write just a few tickets in the morning, but I'll give you just a warning for the stop sign today".

My casual response...... "couldn't they at least get you something faster than the SS Camaro". He replies "these are fast", my casual response..... "unless it says 200 on the dash it has no smoke to give".

I then proceed to show him one of my older 211mph runs in another one of my cars are we had a good time. I love cops. They're just people too and when you show them you're not the average daily Jackass alls good!
Cops love it when you try to prove your innocence at the roadside.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #4734
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Years ago I had a Mustang GT 5-speed and just had a Saleen supercharger installed. Was on my way home and looked around, didn't see anybody so decided to test the supercharger. Guess I didn't look good enough because all of a sudden I heard a siren and saw the lights behind me.

I pulled over and the officer came to my window and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said yes and explained to him that I just had a supercharger installed and was checking it out. He said he appreciated my honesty and said he liked American muscle and if I'd mind opening the hood and showing him the supercharger. I didn't mind at all and we talked about cars for a few minutes and then he let me go with a warning. Nice guy.
Murf99314114.00
paquet629.50
      10-31-2021, 04:56 PM   #4735
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Years ago I had a Mustang GT 5-speed and just had a Saleen supercharger installed. Was on my way home and looked around, didn't see anybody so decided to test the supercharger. Guess I didn't look good enough because all of a sudden I heard a siren and saw the lights behind me.

I pulled over and the officer came to my window and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said yes and explained to him that I just had a supercharger installed and was checking it out. He said he appreciated my honesty and said he liked American muscle and if I'd mind opening the hood and showing him the supercharger. I didn't mind at all and we talked about cars for a few minutes and then he let me go with a warning. Nice guy.
When I was 16 or 17 I had my first car, a 69 Firebird, it had a carb, intake and mild cam with 4.10 gears. I did a little burn out in front of my high school and got stopped by the local constabulary. The copper asked me if I was trying to impress my girlfriend who was in the car with me. I told him it was for my own personal satisfaction. He laughed and sent me on my way. Honestly is the best policy.
Appreciate 3
Esteban43319.50
Sedan_Clan24973.00
paquet629.50
      10-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #4736
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

When I was 16 or 17 I had my first car, a 69 Firebird, it had a carb, intake and mild cam with 4.10 gears. I did a little burn out in front of my high school and got stopped by the local constabulary. The copper asked me if I was trying to impress my girlfriend who was in the car with me. I told him it was for my own personal satisfaction. He laughed and sent me on my way. Honestly is the best policy.
That sounds like a fun first car. I got my first car when I was 18 and it was a '68 VW Bug. It only had 53hp so no burnouts but it was still fun. Drove that car till the wheels fell off, which only took 2 years. lol
vreihen1615137.50
      10-31-2021, 05:13 PM   #4737
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Cops love it when you try to prove your innocence at the roadside.
And I love proving anyone not just cops wrong when they are.

I get bored easily.

I should've been a lawyer, but most of them don't get paid enough.

Last edited by Bimmersandmopars; 10-31-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #4738
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
So, in a similar vein to the tiered license discussion, thoughts on hyper-e-bikes that can do 60 mph?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...atory-backlash

Could be the impetus we need to overhaul things.

Also, relevant to BMWs :
I built an e-bike from a kit. It can hit 40mph--with my 210 lb ass on it. Kinda crazy for a bicycle--no one expects a bike to be travelling that fast, so yeah, kinda dangerous. Mine is stealth--looks like a regular bike-but e-bikes are not allowed in bike lanes around here, and anything that goes above 20mph on throttle only is considered a motor bike and requires a license.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #4739
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
I built an e-bike from a kit. It can hit 40mph--with my 210 lb ass on it. Kinda crazy for a bicycle--no one expects a bike to be travelling that fast, so yeah, kinda dangerous. Mine is stealth--looks like a regular bike-but e-bikes are not allowed in bike lanes around here, and anything that goes above 20mph on throttle only is considered a motor bike and requires a license.
Interesting, I'm curious how heavy it is and what's it like to ride like as a bicycle (not using the electric motor).

I remember about 20 years ago when they came along with those gas powered scooters, the traffic guys were losing their minds because they had no insurance, licence plates etc. I always thought they were cool and wanted to get one.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #4740
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It is featherweight (for an e-bike) - under 28lbs. Without throttle, it is like riding a regular 21 speed hybrid bike. 1000w motor in the rear hub (750w is legal limit in the US). The bag under the top bar is the 54.4a battery--and the only giveaway as to what it really is. So far no problems, but I was kicked off a dedicated bike lane with my old e-bike (which did look like an E-bike). Hence the stealth build.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      11-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #4741
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I can get 25 miles, throttle only out of a full charge, but regularly get double that as I am pedaling most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #4742
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
I can get 25 miles, throttle only out of a full charge, but regularly get double that as I am pedaling most of the time.
That's pretty cool man, how much for the kit? Where did you source it?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #4743
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
NY State just passed a law on Friday to set noise limits on cars/motorcycles, and raised the fine to $1,000/vehicle for repair shops who install "unapproved" exhaust modifications.

From an earlier news article during the bill's debates:

Quote:
The new legislation sets the noise limit at 95 decibels for motorcycles and 60 decibels for other vehicles. According to the University of Florida, leaf blowers are commonly 99 decibels and a blender is about 92, so motorcycles would need to fall between those limits. Cars would need to be quieter than a vacuum cleaner, which is 87 decibels on average.

In order to make sure vehicles are following the law, this new legislation requires police cars to be equipped with decibel-reading devices. Proponents of the bill say this will make it much easier for police to identify lawbreakers and pull illegal vehicles off the road.
From too many years managing/working SCCA competition events, I can say with authority that sound control is both a licensed position and a black art. The rules are written with decibel limits at a specified distance from the vehicle (and I believe they also specify the direction but I'm too lazy to go out to the race car hauler to dust off my old copy of the SCCA's GCR rulebook). Different frequencies and environmental surroundings also make decibel meter readings vary, and every single measurement is really a judgement call on the sound control person.

Anyway, my question is whether or not it is reasonable to expect patrol officers to go for sound control certification? This is not like window tint where you point a sensor at the glass and get an indisputable measurement, and isn't something that can be measured from a moving patrol vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I live in the land of OCC and have suffered for years hearing those bike-building clowns test-riding their open-header bikes on the main road at the end of our street with their TV crew chase cars filming. I welcome enforcement against egregious violators like them, but am concerned with using a decibel meter to do the enforcement without all of the measurement parameters defined for the operator.....
      11-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #4744
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVtbWfy...dium=copy_link
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #4745
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn any CCTV of that crash? That was a bad redlight run
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #4746
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Seen on a wall in Oceanside…..
When you’ve just given up on your graffiti as an art form
      11-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #4747
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
That's pretty cool man, how much for the kit? Where did you source it?
The entire cost was about $1,000 not including the hybrid bike.
The motor, controller, and lcd display is from Eblkling.
I had the battery and bms custom built by an MIT student-that was the most expensive component--about $500.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #4748
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Quote:
Damn any CCTV of that crash? That was a bad redlight run
No, but I wish I did. I think it was a race gone wrong. It happened up in Concord, California.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #4749
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
No, but I wish I did. I think it was a race gone wrong. It happened up in Concord, California.
Damn, I wish the guy videoing had asked for more detail from the people that had said they were in the car behind.
Regardless of how it happened, the one guy that was able to get out is going to have a shock when he realizes that his two friends are gone.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      11-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #4750
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Dude in the backseat didn't look buckled up.

I'm still confused over the scenario here and the crash. Someone ran a red light; ok got it...who? Who hit who, and in what direction of travel, etc? It sounded like at one point the dude filming asked "ya'll were drunk, huh?" and got an affirmative from the sole survivor, but I wouldn't trust the cognitive recognition from someone who's just been in a bad car accident.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      11-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #4751
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Dude in the backseat didn't look buckled up.

I'm still confused over the scenario here and the crash. Someone ran a red light; ok got it...who? Who hit who, and in what direction of travel, etc? It sounded like at one point the dude filming asked "ya'll were drunk, huh?" and got an affirmative from the sole survivor, but I wouldn't trust the cognitive recognition from someone who's just been in a bad car accident.
They might've been drunk or high.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #4752
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Graphic Content Warning next time, please. That was horrible.
Appreciate 0