Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Take the badges off this thing and no one would think that's a BMW.
Appreciate 6
Germanauto9665.50
stein_325i25051.00
Doctor///M1782.00
dime.m365.50
Surgx572.50
      09-26-2021, 11:00 PM   #24
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Front is BMW even without badge
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:31 PM   #25
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Looks are subjective but if you don't insist on seeing a grill in the iX and instead see it for what it is — a sensor panel — I think you'll see it differently.
Correct, that is exactly how the grille is used for, namely, to house the active sensor array(s), and Tesla has no such vertical surface to match.

I am looking fwd to see if i4/iX grille with its embedded sensors gives BMW a tech advantage over Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:45 AM   #26
G333
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G81, M3 E92, Mini GP1, MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post
Are these new designs a joke?
They are making design for Chinese people, which looks for European and North American people ugly almost disgusting.
2007 Porsche Cayenne S 957
2006 Mini Cooper R53 JCW GP
Appreciate 3
Encanto1161.00
dime.m365.50
W0ut242.50
      09-27-2021, 06:06 AM   #27
8MW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Barf bag, quick! Please!
Appreciate 1
dime.m365.50
      09-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #28
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Yes as the grille does not in any way resemble other recent models.
Appreciate 2
f30nynj83.00
dime.m365.50
      09-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #29
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Looks are subjective but if you don't insist on seeing a grill in the iX and instead see it for what it is — a sensor panel — I think you'll see it differently.
I saw the car up close in person at UDE. The sensors only take up a smaller portion of the grill, most of it is just for looks.
      09-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #30
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Must be a slow news day.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #31
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Brutal
Markus Flasch's favorite adjective.
Appreciate 1
Dimitri314.50
      09-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #32
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G333 View Post
Quote:
They are making design for Chinese people, which looks for European and North American people ugly almost disgusting.
Right I forgot BMWs only sell to Chinese people
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #33
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
If Breaking Bad was filmed in 2022, Walter White would get one as his daily driver before things took off for him.

I hate this car because every time I see it it makes me feel uncomfortable looking at it. So many emotions, none positive. Sad.

Quote:
I'm not Chinese, nor do I share certain design choices that Asian market is known for (designs tend to focus on small parts here and there, less on a whole, may be a bit fussy).

Having disclaimed that it is getting funny seeing this point of view that modern BMWs are ugly because of Chinese market. This is absolutely not the case!

BMWs are ugly because in large part of US market. BMWs main design guru Dukec said that BMW surveyed their market, and American tastes is what is in large part shapes their designs, not just Chinese or something else.

And if you really search within, from the Fast and Furious franchise to the tuning culture that is very focused on aggressive looking cars (the M performance parts on M3 and those quads?) you'd see why BMW actually makes cars now that look like that, and that are focused on US market.

Have you seen how American-made trucks look like? Like from 18 wheelers all the way to pickups (the most sold cars in US)? Or the new Toyota pickup truck, or even the Lexus cars and so on.. Grille-galore. Need we keep perpetuating this nonsense that US car buyer is some high-taste etalon and here come these Asian tastes spoil it for all? Come on. All of those companies cater to US market (these trucks are not even sold in Europe, and I doubt there are many Tacomas roaming around Tokyo, but I digress.)

This modern BMW design language comes from US tastes - at least as much as Asian tastes. And it makes sense too, looking at sales figures of BMW. So next time you say Ugly Chinese designs - actually no, design is pretty much American also. At least according to BMW, and I guess they know better.

Last edited by Tallest; 09-28-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #34
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by G333 View Post
Quote:
Correct. These cars are being designed with the ever-growing Chinese market in mind.
      09-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #35
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
If Breaking Bad was filmed in 2022, Walter White would get one as his daily driver before things took off for him.

I hate this car because every time I see it it makes me feel uncomfortable looking at it. So many emotions, none positive. Sad.

Quote:
I'm not Chinese, nor do I share certain design choices that Asian market is known for (designs tend to focus on small parts here and there, less on a whole, may be a bit fussy).

Having disclaimed that it is getting funny seeing this point of view that modern BMWs are ugly because of Chinese market. This is absolutely not the case!

BMWs are ugly because in large part of US market. BMWs main design guru Dukec said that BMW surveyed their market, and American tastes is what is in large part shapes their designs, not just Chinese or something else.

And if you really search within, from the Fast and Furious franchise to the tuning culture that is very focused on aggressive looking cars (the M performance parts on M3 and those quads?) you'd see why BMW actually makes cars now that look like that, and that are focused on US market.

Have you seen how American-made trucks look like? Like from 18 wheelers all the way to pickups (the most sold cars in US)? Or the new Toyota pickup truck, or even the Lexus cars and so on.. Grille-galore. Need we keep perpetuating this nonsense that US car buyer is some high-taste etalon and here come these Asian tastes spoil it for all? Come on. All of those companies cater to US market (these trucks are not even sold in Europe, and I doubt there are many Tacomas roaming around Tokyo, but I digress.)

This modern BMW design language comes from US tastes - at least as much as Asian tastes. And it makes sense too, looking at sales figures of BMW. So next time you say Ugly Chinese designs - actually no, design is pretty much American also. At least according to BMW, and I guess they know better.
If the designs are a reflection of what Americans like; how come Americans don't like them?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #36
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
If the designs are a reflection of what Americans like; how come Americans don't like them?
Well you are just basing it on forums. I wont google you Dukec quotes but he did say it was based on US and Chinese tastes and the need for car to stand out to reach NEW buyers. You already bought a BMW. Cant please you again so easily, but they have these teens who are told it looks like 328 Mille Miglia and they go "yeah". There it works, bizarrely.

Overlap between americans and enthusiasts is 100% sure, but overlap between enthusiasts and BMW buyers is far from that, more like 5% if I had to guess.

So the forums dont speak for all Americans who buys BMWs. Even here some people said they "like it". This is the real world and I bet if you went to many people's living rooms in America (or China) a lot you wouldn't like.

This front debacle reminds me of what Subaru went through in the early 00s when they decided to make that little round snout, around same time Audi also made that massive grille. Audi kind of figure out the language as years went ont, and Subaru should just give up (they sort of did actually, look at this snooze fest Impreza).

My point stands, American's actually love big grilles, always have. BMW kinda messed it up with execution. THey will get it right next time probably but will take few years.

PS. Just to be clear, I dont defend this design, I think it looks awful from the front. Same for M3-M4, i4, iX.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #37
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well you are just basing it on forums.
Your assumption is incorrect. I am not "just basing [my perception] on forums."
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:46 PM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I think the styling is distracting people from the main failure of this product. The failure being that there isn't anything "BMW" about this vehicle. Models like the E53 and E70 X5 models, classic BMW styling aside; had properly stiff steering, engaging handling, a communicative chassis, and were without a doubt the "ultimate driving machine."

This thing? It is clearly engineered to be a minivan that isolates you from the road. Basically a German Tesla Model X. It is so against the grain of my expectations from this company.

I'm sure this will sell just fine and BMW's arrogant execs will continue to pat themselves on the back. But the harsh truth is that the iX has zero BMW DNA baked into it.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      09-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #39
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Your assumption is incorrect. I am not "just basing [my perception] on forums."
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #40
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Quote:
I'm American, my two favorite BMW designs are the e46 and e92, and I absolutely love the new design direction BMW is going.

Both the G42 and the iX look amazing.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #41
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

I agree with you that the Chinese comments are off base if not even offensive. But I disagree with you about the aggressive comment. I think the new nostrils are not aggressive but rather make the car look fat. Wider rather than taller front ends look aggressive.

But to each his own and there are many car companies out there. I hope to stay with BMW but if they don't make a car I want, there are others.
Appreciate 1
Tallest1278.50
      10-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #42
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree with you that the Chinese comments are off base if not even offensive. But I disagree with you about the aggressive comment. I think the new nostrils are not aggressive but rather make the car look fat. Wider rather than taller front ends look aggressive.

But to each his own and there are many car companies out there. I hope to stay with BMW but if they don't make a car I want, there are others.
The M3 has extremely agressive rear (the quad diffusor looks terrible but they think it is cool). In a way, the iX from front has hints of 2018 Audi Alroad in a way, same squinty eyes on top and big grille, but Audi has done a good job in executing it, BMW did not. in iX the agressive aspect is not there, I did not mean that specifically. It is there with M3-M4. iX front is possibly worse. I actually think the side profile and rear on iX is not bad for a minivan with giant rims.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #43
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
But the harsh truth is that the iX has zero BMW DNA baked into it.
How do you come to this conclusion without ever driven one?
Isn't this prejudice?

I beg to differ. Drive this car in public, no one would fail to know that this is a BMW for far away.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
How do you come to this conclusion without ever driven one?
Isn't this prejudice?

I beg to differ. Drive this car in public, no one would fail to know that this is a BMW for far away.
You can't be serious. This thing has no BMW design traits. No Hofmeister kink, no strong character line below the belt-line, and a silly face that doesn't resemble kidney grills in the least bit. This looks like a minivan.

And all the driving reviews have stated it is just a comfortable and quiet cruiser with no sporting pretentions outside a straight line. The opposite of what a BMW should be.

The X5 is also a lazy driving car, but at least the styling is very much in line with BMW heritage design.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00