Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

05-04-2022, 12:32 AM   #1
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Extended Service Contracts

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone considering purchasing an extended warranty for the I4? I know its usually the tires and brakes that go out but given that there is so much tech and modules, new model, chip and parts shortage etc curious about how many are considering or have already bought the extended warranty. It looks like the Platinum option is the one that covers all electrical issues. Any thoughts/Ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Anyone considering purchasing an extended warranty for the I4? I know its usually the tires and brakes that go out but given that there is so much tech and modules, new model, chip and parts shortage etc curious about how many are considering or have already bought the extended warranty. It looks like the Platinum option is the one that covers all electrical issues. Any thoughts/Ideas ?
Interesting thought, in the past I have always waited until the end of the 4 year term before considering purchasing the extended contract to see what has gone wrong during that period. Some dealers on this forum have very discounted rates on extended contracts.

If memory serves, you don't get additional items covered during the 4 years the BMW warranty is in place but I could be wrong.

The ultimate care + does cover wear and tear items and that $700 MSRP in the US.

Both contracts I have seen in the past don't specify what additional EV components will be covered so hard to tell the real world value.

The battery warranty is 8 years, so that's good as that will be the largest expense.
Appreciate 2
Aalfred2605.50
deutsch1003942.00
      05-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
If you are going to keep the car for more than 3 years or 36,000 miles, then YES get the BMW extended warranty or maintenance.

They tried to sell me full maintenance on my '19 and '20 i3S and now my '22 M50. Brakes in an EV will usually last about 70,000 miles, so no need to upgrade to full maintenance. Basic maintenance is included on all new BMWs for 36 months or 36,000 miles and the factory warranty is 48 months or 50,000 miles.

For those who say they can work on their own cars after warranty expires....the i4 is not your 1986 325 You will not be able to do most repairs yourself on any EV. Sorry!
Appreciate 2
Aalfred2605.50
      05-04-2022, 12:29 PM   #4
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Interesting thought, in the past I have always waited until the end of the 4 year term before considering purchasing the extended contract to see what has gone wrong during that period. Some dealers on this forum have very discounted rates on extended contracts.

If memory serves, you don't get additional items covered during the 4 years the BMW warranty is in place but I could be wrong.

The ultimate care + does cover wear and tear items and that $700 MSRP in the US.

Both contracts I have seen in the past don't specify what additional EV components will be covered so hard to tell the real world value.

The battery warranty is 8 years, so that's good as that will be the largest expense.

Have you have luck with dealers trying to give you competitive rates after you have walked out with the new car? I was of the opinion that the rates will be higher when you are looking to buy it towards the end of the warranty period (unless you get these robo calls about the extended car warranties..lol)

The biggest concern I have are the electrical modules and computer systems. My X3 is only 4 yrs old and it has had issues with the blind spot system, active front grills and sometimes the collision warnings. Mechanically its sound but to replace these after warranty might cost quite a penny. Ive replaced the active grills twice under warranty and they seem to be an issue with the X3.

Seriously thinking about leasing instead of buying to avoid the headaches of the new car and lack on data on any known issues
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      05-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Have you have luck with dealers trying to give you competitive rates after you have walked out with the new car? I was of the opinion that the rates will be higher when you are looking to buy it towards the end of the warranty period (unless you get these robo calls about the extended car warranties..lol)

The biggest concern I have are the electrical modules and computer systems. My X3 is only 4 yrs old and it has had issues with the blind spot system, active front grills and sometimes the collision warnings. Mechanically its sound but to replace these after warranty might cost quite a penny. Ive replaced the active grills twice under warranty and they seem to be an issue with the X3.

Seriously thinking about leasing instead of buying to avoid the headaches of the new car and lack on data on any known issues
If interested in buying, several dealers on this site have very discounted rates, you can buy after purchase. The finance person at the dealer will try to get you to buy at their discounted rate They get compensated for anything they sell you after purchase. It will not cost extra, in fact it will cost much less by using folks on this forum. Just do it before your 4 year factory warranty expires.

When I gave my finance person at the dealer the price from the one on this forum he said buy it from them. Private message me and I can send you the info if you are interested. I am not sure what the rules are for posting that info.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Fyi, The bmw extended service pricing will change based on miles driven. You're better to shop around.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #7
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
If interested in buying, several dealers on this site have very discounted rates, you can buy after purchase. The finance person at the dealer will try to get you to buy at their discounted rate They get compensated for anything they sell you after purchase. It will not cost extra, in fact it will cost much less by using folks on this forum. Just do it before your 4 year factory warranty expires.

When I gave my finance person at the dealer the price from the one on this forum he said buy it from them. Private message me and I can send you the info if you are interested. I am not sure what the rules are for posting that info.
Thank you. I will PM you soon. I do plan on keeping this car for atleast 6-8 yrs until the battery warranty runs out or its starts to give me problems as this will be my daily commuter.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #8
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
Fyi, The bmw extended service pricing will change based on miles driven. You're better to shop around.
SO even if Im in the 4 yrs 50Kmile period, the more I drive, the price goes up when I shop for the warranty? I plan on getting the 7 yr 100K mile extended service warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #9
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

I extended the service contract on my m3 days before it was set to expire. Used a sponsor from this site that's a bmw dealership. I don't know all the mileage tiers, but I was told if I went over 20k miles my quotes for the contract would go higher. Same for extending the warranty.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003942.00
Aalfred2605.50
      05-05-2022, 02:25 AM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
SO even if Im in the 4 yrs 50Kmile period, the more I drive, the price goes up when I shop for the warranty? I plan on getting the 7 yr 100K mile extended service warranty
I am not sure what latest pricing looks like. In the past there was price bump after 1st year/10k miles, but then stayed the same. I can't remember the exact bump, maybe 10-15%.

Also note that there are BMW MSRPs on these ESCs, in the past the dealer margin was a flat fee of $600-$800, so there wasn't much room to negotiate price. But local dealers were(and still are) adamant to charge $k's of markups over MSRPs, and somehow people still pay up.

E.g. my sales got $12k off on a $75k MSRP 7-series for a client, who then bought $17k of F&I products .....
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003942.00
Aalfred2605.50
      05-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #11
PRBMWiE
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 e40

Its interesting that BMW USA when you configure an i4 it doesn’t suggest an extended warranty, but if you do an Gran Coupe 430i it’s suggest 4 options.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I don't see how an extended warranty helps if there is a parts shortage. The extended warranty essentially covers who pays...not how one gets the necessary repair parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't see how an extended warranty helps if there is a parts shortage. The extended warranty essentially covers who pays...not how one gets the necessary repair parts.
I was referring to possibility of having more issues with parts given the shortage and poor quality control given need to push out more vehicles soon. Dont have any data that BMW is cutting corners, but with the way they r getting rid of options, I dont have much faith that stringent QC is being maintained on these part manufacturing
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #14
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBMWiE View Post
Its interesting that BMW USA when you configure an i4 it doesn’t suggest an extended warranty, but if you do an Gran Coupe 430i it’s suggest 4 options.
I saw that too. I even asked the SA if there was one in her database but they r just pushing the same ESA thats given for ICE cars. Given that they want us to return 2 yrs after we get our cars for the first maintenance, I think they will be saving a lot of money on their 4 yrs 50K initial warranty. So hopefully they come up with an EV specific warranty that might be cheaper than the ICE ones
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #15
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Given that they want us to return 2 yrs after we get our cars for the first maintenance
Any ideas what that 2 year service entails? Besides cabin air filter, regular inspection, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #16
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Any ideas what that 2 year service entails? Besides cabin air filter, regular inspection, etc.
I think thats prob what they would do. Cabin air filter and windshield wiper fluids and brake fluid checks. Given the I4 has regen braking dont know if the brakes will wear faster than normal. I changed brakes at 50K miles on my X3 (what can I say, drive crazy...lol)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #17
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I am not sure what latest pricing looks like. In the past there was price bump after 1st year/10k miles, but then stayed the same. I can't remember the exact bump, maybe 10-15%.

Also note that there are BMW MSRPs on these ESCs, in the past the dealer margin was a flat fee of $600-$800, so there wasn't much room to negotiate price. But local dealers were(and still are) adamant to charge $k's of markups over MSRPs, and somehow people still pay up.

E.g. my sales got $12k off on a $75k MSRP 7-series for a client, who then bought $17k of F&I products .....

Thanks. I got an extended maintenance for my X3 but my mileage was high so I only got 5 yrs out of my 7 years. All it included was oil change and brakes and wipers and I feel it would have been cheaper to just pay it as and when it happened that the warranty. My active front grilles was $800 + labor and given that my blind spot is giving me warnings now and I do get the occasional check engine that disappears randomly before I could even take it to the dealer, I wanted to go for the full warranty esp since I want to keep this car longer than 6yrs.
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2022, 08:00 AM   #18
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

my experience with tesla was that they didn't need to do anything to the car maintenance wise, but bmw is a totally diff car/approach so im not sure. I feel like it could go one of two ways... BMW just uses the same program for the ice cars, or they make a EV option. It's early so I don't know which way they are heading yet. Also, curious what the access will be like to repairing these cars etc, can i do my own brake jobs and cabin air filters etc.... I remember with the tesla all they did was change the batteries in my fob , replace the washer fluid etc and the one major warranty service had to do with battery coolant or something... the one item you will want to make sure you budget for is tires, ev's are torquey, heavy and fast.... i went through my first set in the tesla really quickly (i blame half on me and half on them being spec'd shitty) the Pirelli's I replaced them with ended up lasting a lot longer and were still within spec when I returned the lease at 45K
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003942.00
Aalfred2605.50
      05-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #19
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanes01 View Post
Also, curious what the access will be like to repairing these cars etc, can i do my own brake jobs and cabin air filters etc....
TIS info of i4 is not available yet, but since i4 is based on 4GC, the cabin filter R&R should be DIY like the 3/4-series. The i4 brakes should be beefed up 3/4 ones to account for extra weight, and likely can be DIY too.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2605.50
      05-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #20
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
TIS info of i4 is not available yet, but since i4 is based on 4GC, the cabin filter R&R should be DIY like the 3/4-series. The i4 brakes should be beefed up 3/4 ones to account for extra weight, and likely can be DIY too.
Brake pads are easy.
The fronts are Brembo. Two pins and a spring clip at the top. Pads load after compressing the pistons.

Rears require more work since they are floating and require the caliper be removed.

Brake fluid changes and bleeding in going to be tricky unless.you have INPA or something. The reason is that there is no connection between pedal and brakes. This is a full "drive by wire" car.
      05-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #21
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Brake fluid changes and bleeding in going to be tricky unless.you have INPA or something. The reason is that there is no connection between pedal and brakes. This is a full "drive by wire" car.
G-series has water pump self bleeding procedure.

It may be possible similar bleeding procedure exists for new gen of driver-by-wire braking system too.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      05-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #22
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

curious about esys and ista D compatibility with these bad boys. I imagine they still have an odb II port for state inspection etc, need to see if shawnsheridan has the info yet. Also wonder what we can do with bimmer code.
Appreciate 0