Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #89
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I find it very humorous that nobody in this world is as big of a promoter and advocate for LHs skills as Lewis himself. It seems that in every print article in which he is interviewed he is stating just how much better he is than any other driver he has come across. The article a few posts back showed more of that. He drives the tires right off the car then pretends it's some kind of calculated move to make the extra stops. His crew has to constantly remind him to look after his tires. I have yet to see a race in which he has been complimented on his tire preservation or driving finesse or that I haven't heard his team tell him to dial it back to save his tires. He just slams the car around the track. I don't dislike LH as a person or driver but he needs to prove that he can preserve tires by doing it on the track, not in an interview.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #90
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I think LH does a decent job on tires when he has to, in Melbourne he only made two stops, while other like Alonso, Webber and Massa all had 3
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #91
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

So vettel was faster in turn 8 with his DRS activated. Damn the RB7 is an amazing car. And ^you know, vettel helped too

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #92
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
So vettel was faster in turn 8 with his DRS activated. Damn the RB7 is an amazing car. And ^you know, vettel helped too
yea, its pretty crazy. I think maybe Vettel felt the RB7 had plenty of downforce for turn 8 and thought he needed the speed so he activated the DRS, pretty wild either way. He is truly one of the best drivers out there, he is just lucky to have by far the best car out there
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #93
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Maybe that's why he lost it in practice? He was experimenting with the DRS?

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #94
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
That's why I like them both (SV and LH), they're both so confident and good at what they are doing!

A driver without confident and a certain cockiness is losing.

I don't see Jenson being confident this season, I saw Martin Brundle interviewed him before the Turkish GP and he was feeling uneasy and uncomfortable. As if something is wrong with his car. Compare to his comfort level and confidence level in Australia 2009 was a total 180 degrees difference. Martin Brundle asked him before the first race in 2009, "Jenson, Well, Can you do this?" "Yes!"
Jenson is simply outclassed on the grid. The fact of the matter is that Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso are simply superior in driving skill to the rest of the grid. I don't know why this surprises everyone. I think this is finally starting to sink in for JB.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #95
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Maybe that's why he lost it in practice? He was experimenting with the DRS?
No, it was soaking wet in practice, and they've had almost no running on wet tires to date. Plus, the Wet Pirelli's are supposedly way less grippy than the old bridgestones.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #96
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
No, it was soaking wet in practice, and they've had almost no running on wet tires to date. Plus, the Wet Pirelli's are supposedly way less grippy than the old bridgestones.
yup, cant wait for a really wet race, should be very interesting
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #97
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Gotcha. Sorry I'm being dumb. At school I don't get any F1 info. I have to torrent the race a day after it happens from a friends house whose a townie because SU blocks tormenting stuff. So I don't watch practice or qualifying anymore.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #98
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
one thing that worries me about the DRS was, drivers will wait for opportunities after two laps and activate DRS for overtaking, instead of drivers creating overtaking changes for themselves on first lap. Yes, there's a few moves, but we don't see desperate moves and carnage on first lap...also a lot less Safety Car so far....which on the other hand...a good side of racing...
      05-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #99
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I agree with the last bit of that. We haven't seen a single safety car in 2011 yet. And this is absolutely great for driver safety, but it is an aspect of racing that may be lost this season. And a lot of the time it can act as even more of a reset button than the pitting since it reels everyone back together again.

I hope we don't see any major crashes but I would like to see a few safety car situations come back into the picture. Especially since it is a great guard against the leader driving off into the sun while the rest of the grid struggles with dirty air.

Also, with the varying degree of tire usage that is active at any point on the circuit, the safety car could be a big moment in any team's strategy.
      05-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #100
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
one thing that worries me about the DRS was, drivers will wait for opportunities after two laps and activate DRS for overtaking, instead of drivers creating overtaking changes for themselves on first lap. Yes, there's a few moves, but we don't see desperate moves and carnage on first lap...also a lot less Safety Car so far....which on the other hand...a good side of racing...
While that's true, I far and away prefer having passing throughout the race, instead of all the action being clustered into the first lap. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Also, while carnage might be fun to watch, it isn't 'good racing'. It just means you have less drivers on track as the race evolves, which eventually gets boring.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #101
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Was just searching around and found someone had captured the original intro for 2011.

I really like Sean Bean's narrative. The way he says the round name seems to make my ears perk.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing....I got chills. My favorite quote - "Two-thousand and ten. It was new age. Charm and silk scarves had no place here. The house of Red Bull ruled."

Last edited by KANdaddy; 05-10-2011 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #102
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. Especially since I don't consider a passing remark to be the same as a rant. Contrary to what most of the media outlets will lead you to believe.

Besides, stating the obvious really isn't as derogatory as it has been implied to be. The actual quote doesn't read quite the same since the emphatic 'just' wasn't really said.
I guess LH doesn't understand that RBR was a team that has been around and traded ownership for many years before Red Bull got involved. They have an F1 history (maybe not as successful as McLaren). Just because Red Bull have now given them the financial means to be successful doesn't mean you simply dismiss them as a drink company and diss all the great motorsports professionals that have been involved with this team since before the were RBR. Also, I'd say to LH give me a freakin break. Are you telling me that if Monster Energy drink came in and bought/and or sponsored McLaren that you'd stop thinking of them as a motorsport company and not drive for them? Pleeeeease.

Also to address the cocky issue and the posting of SV holding up his finger as he always does: There is a big difference in both mind set and perception between cocky and confident. SV is confident. He never brags or disses anyone. He's never talked shiet about a competitor even when he's at the losing end. Yes cockiness and confidence are absolutely needed for success at the top of any profession, esp sports. But confidence is what produces long term repeat success. Cockiness will give you bursts of success but it ends up becoming hollow and leads to eventual failure and mediocrity. What LH felt during his championship year was confidence. What he displays now is cockiness fueled by frustration over his car's lack of winning performance and his own self doubts. His comments are just a result of that frustration. He will figure it out and return to his winning ways.
      05-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #103
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #104
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
I guess LH doesn't understand that RBR was a team that has been around and traded ownership for many years before Red Bull got involved. They have an F1 history (maybe not as successful as McLaren). Just because Red Bull have now given them the financial means to be successful doesn't mean you simply dismiss them as a drink company and diss all the great motorsports professionals that have been involved with this team since before the were RBR. Also, I'd say to LH give me a freakin break. Are you telling me that if Monster Energy drink came in and bought/and or sponsored McLaren that you'd stop thinking of them as a motorsport company and not drive for them? Pleeeeease.

Also to address the cocky issue and the posting of SV holding up his finger as he always does: There is a big difference in both mind set and perception between cocky and confident. SV is confident. He never brags or disses anyone. He's never talked shiet about a competitor even when he's at the losing end. Yes cockiness and confidence are absolutely needed for success at the top of any profession, esp sports. But confidence is what produces long term repeat success. Cockiness will give you bursts of success but it ends up becoming hollow and leads to eventual failure and mediocrity. What LH felt during his championship year was confidence. What he displays now is cockiness fueled by frustration over his car's lack of winning performance and his own self doubts. His comments are just a result of that frustration. He will figure it out and return to his winning ways.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #105
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
And was it me, or were the Turkey F1-girls not up to par? The majority of them looked like 9 miles of bad road (IMO. Yours may vary)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #106
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
And was it me, or were the Turkey F1-girls not up to par? The majority of them looked like 9 miles of bad road (IMO. Yours may vary)
Generally speaking, grid girls are not as hot as they were back in the 90's and early 2000s....
      05-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #107
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #108
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
What was the comment made at the end of the race when Vettel was talking to Webber (just after they got out of their vehicles)... commentators made mention of something being said but went on to say "i hope no one at home heard that..."
I only heard Webber said "F***ing hell, horrible"...
probably that's why Martin Brundle said he's hoping no one at home caught that...
      05-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #109
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Schumacher between a lotus and a toro rosso (*cough* minardi)... *slow tear*
Appreciate 0