Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

05-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #24
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep
Drives: Quick enough

GO LEWIS!

Really looking forward to this race. Should have been in Turkey, friend offered me free tickets, but couldn't make it. The larger DRS zone should help, I hope Lewis gets close enough to Vettel by the time the DRS is activated, should prove interesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #25
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
GO VETTEL!

Did u catch where they were talking about Mclaren dissecting the photos of Red Bulls front wing after SV put it into the wall (Turkey practice). They said it looked like there were wires hanging out from the inside when it was smashed open.
Perhaps a heating element that heats up the front wing, thus allowing their front wing to flex moreso than the other teams, yet pass the 100lb weight test of the inspection?

FASCINATING!!! I love this sh|t!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
GO VETTEL!

Did u catch where they were talking about Mclaren dissecting the photos of Red Bulls front wing after SV put it into the wall (Turkey practice). They said it looked like there were wires hanging out from the inside when it was smashed open.
Perhaps a heating element that heats up the front wing, thus allowing their front wing to flex moreso than the other teams, yet pass the 100lb weight test of the inspection?

I saw the wires immediately after the accident happened. That, coupled with the insane mad rush from RBR to cover the car up was entertaining. Even Newey was out there trying to block out sections from view.

I'd like to see the up close shots that were being inspected though, haven't seen anything come from it.
      05-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #28
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
GO VETTEL!

Haha! I'm actually a fan of Vettel too, he's just getting stronger and stronger, great to see him maturing.

Its a grey area I guess, as everyone knows its flexing more, but everyone would run it if they had thought of it first.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #29
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Qualifying has gone less exciting, as everyone opted for a tire saving mode. and settle for whatever lap time they've set.
      05-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #30
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
That was about the worst qualifying I've ever seen, no fun. I like the two tyre reg, but give them some extra options for qualifying.
      05-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #31
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
The new Pirellis gave us exciting race due to high tire wear and degradation. However, the large gap between prime and option and the way option degrades off the cliff. Many teams considered is pointless to waste their option tires on one lap quick lap and destroy them, and had to stuck with a rigid strategy.
Now most teams gave up qualifying and leave their strategy options open for race day.

For tires like these, the tire allocation limit has to go away or give more options for each driver.
      05-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #32
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #34
3val
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 SMG 135i, 2013 X1 2.8

I've be watching and attending GPs for 30yrs, this is shamful!! Regs. have got to Change in all areas!! Worst qual. to date! Improve the show? your kidding right?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3val View Post
I've be watching and attending GPs for 30yrs, this is shamful!! Regs. have got to Change in all areas!! Worst qual. to date! Improve the show? your kidding right?
Everyone needs to calm down.
Are we being spoiled by the "more than normal" overtakes and actions on the tracks for the past few races?

One bad qualifying session because everyone learned that there's no point to waste tires. OF Course the regulation about tire allocations needs to be changed due to the new tire characteristics. But everyone (FIA, Teams, Pirelli) are all on the learning curves (a steep one).

Think about it. Now everyone got more sets of options, more pit stops, more actions on the race, more human errors might occur. Is it that bad? Don't let a bad 10 mins of qualifying ruined the entire weekend.

Probably its time to bring back practice sessions and qualifying dedicated tires.
      05-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #36
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #37
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I was really surprised by how gracious Vettel was with Webber, not blaming the lack of KERS for P2, when it clearly was the issue. Can't be any more humble than that .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #38
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #39
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I was really surprised by how gracious Vettel was with Webber, not blaming the lack of KERS for P2, when it clearly was the issue. Can't be any more humble than that .
I thought the same but then saw Webber's face after the comment and he was literally biting his lip and looked so emotional/pissed. Maybe he was thinking something else, maybe he took Vettel's non-blame of KERS/compliment as a back hand insult. Who knows. All I know is that there was a ton of tension between them sitting there as well as during after qualy greetings.

The race is going to be interesting. I'm pulling for Webber this year. I really would like to see him get a title before he retires. He deserves it.
      05-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #40
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
I thought the same but then saw Webber's face after the comment and he was literally biting his lip and looked so emotional/pissed. Maybe he was thinking something else, maybe he took Vettel's non-blame of KERS/compliment as a back hand insult. Who knows. All I know is that there was a ton of tension between them sitting there as well as during after qualy greetings.

The race is going to be interesting. I'm pulling for Webber this year. I really would like to see him get a title before he retires. He deserves it.
im all for RBR to be strong and both drivers on pole and #2 cant get any better but webber is like a little bitch, never happy and looking like he shit a brick when vettel was talking. this aint the behavior of a grown up man nor a F1 racing veteran!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #41
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Its a weird one, cause everyone talks about him and Jenson being the 2 most 'normal everyday people' in the paddock. Agree it certainly doesn't come across on camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #42
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #43
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I don't think that qualy was necessarily boring. It just didn't go down to the wire like usual. I was definitely interested for all of it though.

I didn't take Vettel's comment one way or the other. For a man asked so often this year about KERS, what else could he really have said? This is also why he smirked at the question. Running without it was nothing new for him. His comment about the endless story probably summarizes his feels about KERS and RBR's tribulations with it quite well.

Webber is a man fighting against the odds. After he pulled pole, you could tell the entire team's demeanor was down. Not just him. The pit wall was absolutely stonefaced. Something else that I read between the lines. Vettel wanted to go back out again but was probably denied due to a lack of clean grid position to really make something out of it. Vettel's love of records is no secret, and I believe he wanted that 6 pole since Schumy badge to add to his wall. Not being able to go back out must have been frustrating. However, I'll give Vettel this. The man certainly knows how to play the crowd and put on his 'media-face'. He is by nature just as competitive and shrewd as any other driver in the sport.

I am a little sad that Webber couldn't enjoy his pole position more though. It certainly was well earned, to use Vettel's words.

Something no one seems to have even noticed was Schumy's strategy. He is planning on pulling a Webber, but not from the back of the grid. From P10. That means he will get those rubbish tires over with while all the cars are heavy and slow, which will leave him lightning fast at the end of the race. i'll be really interested to see what Merc can pull from this.
      05-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #44
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's easy to be humble and gracious when your entire team has your back. Can't quite say the same for Webber. The Red Bull team was acting like someone had been shot after that qualifying. Certainly, they didn't have the excitement you'd expect from a team that just nailed yet another 1-2.

Last edited by Echo M3; 05-21-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0