02-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up Restaurants On The Edge

This looks so good!!! Cued up...

As a cook and someone who enjoys other cultures and foods, this is a must-see!

02-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
That reminds me, I need to have gator @ Pat O'Brien's & an Elk burger in Nashville again
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      02-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Come on down!
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
      02-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Come on down!
I had an unbelievable time at Pat O'Briens during Mardi Gras about 20 years ago....NSFW.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      02-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I had an unbelievable time at Pat O'Briens during Mardi Gras about 20 years ago....NSFW.
If you're smart - and I bet you are - what happens in N'awlins stays in N'awlins. Same as Vegas.
      02-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One of my most memorable foodie experiences was eating lunch at Dooky Chase. And as if the fantastic food (oh, that chicken..and that gumbo) wasn't enough, we were blessed to have Leah Chase sit down with us - out of nowhere - and chat for about 10 minutes. We were slack-jawed the whole rest of the day. Just a delight to talk to, and a real culinary and cultural pioneer. She was a national treasure.
kscarrol8775.50
      02-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
If you're smart - and I bet you are - what happens in N'awlins stays in N'awlins. Same as Vegas.
So prior to my career in policing, I was trained and worked in the commercial diving industry...I ended up working on the Underwater Recovery Team for Toronto Police and ended up teaching part time back at Seneca College where I was trained for as a commercial diver. My boss and very good friend was the Program Co-ordinator, and asked if I could go and manage the schools booth at the Underwater Intervention Convention in NOLA during Mardi Gras...I had to do a 30 minute presentation on Underwater Crime Scenes and evidence recovery, the booth was managed by some students....for my participation I was sent there for a week....OMFG, my boss was so impressed when I called him at 4 in the morning to let him know how well I was representing the school.

Anyway I did the school, the commercial diving community and the Toronto Police Service proud.....and I'll leave it at that....I've been back a few times now and always have a great time, but I can't do it like I did when I was younger.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
      02-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I literally discovered it an hour ago and am into the second episode. I am a photographer specializing in Food and Lifestyle images and would love to shoot stories like these.
      02-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Been many times. Worked with a guy that graduated from LSU, and born in Slidell.

He held season tickets to the Saints and his wife never wanted to go. So we would leave work on Friday afternoon in upstate SC, drive all night, spend all day Saturday in the Quarter, hit the game on Sunday......and immediately leave the game and drive back and be at work by 7:00am on Monday.

Did it numerous years.....don't think I could go that hard now.

But I remember the first trip....Po-Boy's at Mothers, Pantalbo's.....and all the other great places!
      02-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #10
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So prior to my career in policing, I was trained and worked in the commercial diving industry...I ended up working on the Underwater Recovery Team for Toronto Police and ended up teaching part time back at Seneca College where I was trained for as a commercial diver. My boss and very good friend was the Program Co-ordinator, and asked if I could go and manage the schools booth at the Underwater Intervention Convention in NOLA during Mardi Gras...I had to do a 30 minute presentation on Underwater Crime Scenes and evidence recovery, the booth was managed by some students....for my participation I was sent there for a week....OMFG, my boss was so impressed when I called him at 4 in the morning to let him know how well I was representing the school.

Anyway I did the school, the commercial diving community and the Toronto Police Service proud.....and I'll leave it at that....I've been back a few times now and always have a great time, but I can't do it like I did when I was younger.
I can imagine what a 4 AM call from New Orleans would sound like. You must have had a really cool boss.

I went down there for a bachelor party trip with a bunch of college buddies in about '90 or thereabouts. We tore Bourbon Street up pretty good. I managed to secure myself a "co-ed social opportunity" with some unfortunate lass the night before we were to fly home. When the "festivities" concluded I had to walk the whole length of the Quarter alone at 5 AM to get back to the hotel. They were hosing off all the sidewalks. Got back just in time to grab my duffle and jump in a cab with my buds. We were doing a post-game in the cab on the way to the airport and the cabby overheard that I had walked through the Quarter at 5 AM and said "YOU DID WHAT?!"
      02-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #11
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Been many times. Worked with a guy that graduated from LSU, and born in Slidell.

He held season tickets to the Saints and his wife never wanted to go. So we would leave work on Friday afternoon in upstate SC, drive all night, spend all day Saturday in the Quarter, hit the game on Sunday......and immediately leave the game and drive back and be at work by 7:00am on Monday.

Did it numerous years.....don't think I could go that hard now.

But I remember the first trip....Po-Boy's at Mothers, Pantalbo's.....and all the other great places!
My N'awlins ritual is that the first thing I eat when I get there is an oyster Po-Boy. What can I say...I'm a creature of habit.
Salty Dog3572.50
Rmtt8206.00
      02-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
My N'awlins ritual is that the first thing I eat when I get there is an oyster Po-Boy. What can I say...I'm a creature of habit.
Best New Orleans story is being in town for a global medical meeting about 7 or 8 years ago. We have a big announcement and presentation on new data so all of the brass and board members are there. Unfortunately, we're in New Orleans and the medical guy giving he presentation is an Englishman. Lol!!

We have drinks, dinner and make our way down Bourbon Street hitting bars, listening to music, etc. We turn around, grab some cigars, pick up a few more people and the cadre is now about 30 people including board members a few doctors and The Englishman. The next thing we know it's 3AM and the press conference is at 5:30 AM. Most people are 3 sheets to the wind.

The more clear heads get together and make the command decision to either stay up. We know that if we lose anyone that is critical to the PC we won't see them again for 24 hours at minimum. We start getting coffee into The Englishman and walking him around a bit to get the blood flowing. At 5:15 we get back to the hotel, have more coffee and get ready with The Englishman still pretty wobbly. Two minutes to the release and he rallies, straightens his tie, buttons his jacket and walks up to the dais. He gives a PERFECT 20 minute presentation on all of the data, answers questions and manages the room masterfully. When done, he walks off the stage, down the stairs, and collapses into our group, waiting for him at floor level.

Always leave it to a drunk Englishman to deliver in the clutch when it's on the line.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
Rmtt8206.00
      02-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Best New Orleans story is being in town for a global medical meeting about 7 or 8 years ago. We have a big announcement and presentation on new data so all of the brass and board members are there. Unfortunately, we're in New Orleans and the medical guy giving he presentation is an Englishman. Lol!!

We have drinks, dinner and make our way down Bourbon Street hitting bars, listening to music, etc. We turn around, grab some cigars, pick up a few more people and the cadre is now about 30 people including board members a few doctors and The Englishman. The next thing we know it's 3AM and the press conference is at 5:30 AM. Most people are 3 sheets to the wind.

The more clear heads get together and make the command decision to either stay up. We know that if we lose anyone that is critical to the PC we won't see them again for 24 hours at minimum. We start getting coffee into The Englishman and walking him around a bit to get the blood flowing. At 5:15 we get back to the hotel, have more coffee and get ready with The Englishman still pretty wobbly. Two minutes to the release and he rallies, straightens his tie, buttons his jacket and walks up to the dais. He gives a PERFECT 20 minute presentation on all of the data, answers questions and manages the room masterfully. When done, he walks off the stage, down the stairs, and collapses into our group, waiting for him at floor level.

Always leave it to a drunk Englishman to deliver in the clutch when it's on the line.
Reminds me of a training exercise I was on hosted by the Canadian Navy Fleet Diving Unit, also in attendance was the USN MDSU and the Royal Navy Fleet Diving Unit. This was in Halifax in February and was an Ice Diving exercise, what it actually was what we refer to in policing circles as an ATC. Alcohol Tolerance Course. How I survived that, but the brits....WOW, just WOW.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      02-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Reminds me of a training exercise I was on hosted by the Canadian Navy Fleet Diving Unit, also in attendance was the USN MDSU and the Royal Navy Fleet Diving Unit. This was in Halifax in February and was an Ice Diving exercise, what it actually was what we refer to in policing circles as an ATC. Alcohol Tolerance Course. How I survived that, but the brits....WOW, just WOW.
We had quite a few working for us. EPIC parties!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

This show seems like a copy of Restaurant Impossible, but makes RI look like the Kmart Jerry Springer version.

Looks good
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      03-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #16
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Fantastic story!
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another group of folks who are accomplished drinkers are the Aussies. Had a guy on my team a few gigs back from Brisbane. He had a seemingly limitless capacity for beer, and never missed a day of work.
      03-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #18
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We're really de-railing the thread now, but...

I hired on at a lumber yard in 1985. It was union yard, whose members were Teamsters. These weren't flight attendant Teamsters, mind you; these were old-school hard-ass gear-jamming knee-capping Teamsters.

Me and 2 other "greenhorns" were invited to a "welcome" party at the shop steward's house which unbeknownst to us was also a test to see if we could run with the big dogs when it came to drinking. The host sat us down for poker, 4 guys to a table. He prepared the "fixins" for each table, starting by opening a 1.75-liter bottle of Jim Bean and unceremoniously pitching the cap in the trash. The rest of the fixins were a 2-liter bottle of Coke, a 2-liter bottle of 7-Up, and a big bag of some vile sort of cheesy popcorn which was a very bright orange in color. And then the poker and the revelry commenced.

We all made it through the night and finished our bottles of Beam. The popcorn made it home un-puked, though in my case by only about 10 feet. I lost most of the $100 I brought as poker stakes. We were all deemed worthy.

I don't think such things are done any more, at least not as common. That's too bad. It's a wonderful, if painful and dangerous, way of testing the mettle and character of someone. We did dangerous work, and you wanted to know if you could count on someone.
MKSixer34171.50
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

I hired on at a lumber yard in 1985. It was union yard, whose members were Teamsters. These weren't flight attendant Teamsters, mind you; these were old-school hard-ass gear-jamming knee-capping Teamsters.

Me and 2 other "greenhorns" were invited to a "welcome" party at the shop steward's house which unbeknownst to us was also a test to see if we could run with the big dogs when it came to drinking. The host sat us down for poker, 4 guys to a table. He prepared the "fixins" for each table, starting by opening a 1.75-liter bottle of Jim Bean and unceremoniously pitching the cap in the trash. The rest of the fixins were a 2-liter bottle of Coke, a 2-liter bottle of 7-Up, and a big bag of some vile sort of cheesy popcorn which was a very bright orange in color. And then the poker and the revelry commenced.

We all made it through the night and finished our bottles of Beam. The popcorn made it home un-puked, though in my case by only about 10 feet. I lost most of the $100 I brought as poker stakes. We were all deemed worthy.

I don't think such things are done any more, at least not as common. That's too bad. It's a wonderful, if painful and dangerous, way of testing the mettle and character of someone. We did dangerous work, and you wanted to know if you could count on someone.
That's the old-school rite of passage. When I first started in pharma something similar was done...keep you out all night and see if you could make it to the meeting bright and shiny at 8:00 AM, unruffled and ready to work. Not everyone made it. At one of the companies I worked at, we lost 10% of the class to this, rite of passage over 25 people. Doors to the meeting room locked and HR representatives ready to escort the hapless fools off the property.

Work hard, play hard. Operative word, work.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I hate to say it in these times of political correctness but I love that shit.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      03-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #21
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I hate to say it in these times of political correctness but I love that shit.
Me too. You know who the Vikings are vs the weaklings.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #22
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I watched some last night. Cool show so far
Appreciate 0