BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Strange main battery drain

I took my car in Monday evening to have a clear bra installed and when I left home the projected range was 18 miles. It is a little over a mile to the clear bra shop and when I got there the range read 16 miles. When I picked up the car this morning it had only been driven 2/10 of a mile but the battery range was down to 9 miles. I asked the technicians if they had played the radio or kept the ignition on or whatever and they said no, the only thing they had done was leave the doors in the open position for a long period of time. I don’t see how that could caused the main battery to drain. When it is fully charged sitting in my garage it goes several days and barely loses any range. Any ideas on what might have caused this?

At least now I can drive on the freeway with a little more peace of mind. I have been avoiding any long drives for the past month after I picked up a small rock chip on the left front fender. I swore that I was going to be more Zen about stuff like that (I drove my last car right off the showroom floor directly to the clear bra shop) but I just couldn’t do it!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

They probably just hit the power button once instead of twice and left accessory mode on which leaves the instrument cluster and DRL’s running. Happens at the dealership to me too
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
They probably just hit the power button once instead of twice and left accessory mode on which leaves the instrument cluster and DRL’s running. Happens at the dealership to me too
Thanks for the reply and you’re probably right. I was so concerned about telling them how to open and close the hood that I forgot to give them instructions on starting and stopping the system. I was never sure if the small battery and the main battery were linked but I guess this proves it.
Appreciate 0