BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Home theater subwoofer surgery

Was trying to figure out why my (15 year-old) Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer was making my latest home theater (spare bedroom) feel like the everything in the room was rattling. After playing around with the settings, I thought it was probably the placement of the sub and started moving it around.

In the process, I could hear the sub distorting. So...I cranked up the volume and, sure enough, the sub was blown. In retrospect, it's amazing to me that it sounded as good as it did.

I was sitting there wondering what it gonna set me back to replace it with a Paradigm speaker when it hit me...I have an extra Diamond Audio D3 car sub left over from my recent single-sub install in my car.

So...I opened up the sub box (taking out about a million screws), pealed back the fiber fill and looked at the subwoofer. "Hmmm...that's 10" alright." I disconnected it and removed the old sub, test fitted the Diamond D3, and...perfect fit.

Got it centered, put in all the screws, hooked it up, closed up the box and.....WOW!!! The sub NEVER sounded this good. I can now feel that kick drum in the chest just like in the car.

Love it when a plan comes together!
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 01-21-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
nice job
      01-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Glad you're happy with the sound from the sub.

But the driver from your car project probably isn't well suited for the Paradigm cabinet. It'll be a huge coincidence if the Paradigm sub enclosure happens to line up with cabinet requirements of that car sub.

If any of my Velodyne subs ever has a blown or failed (ie the foam surround) driver, I would most likely opt to have Velodyne re-cone/rebuild the driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Glad you're happy with the sound from the sub.

But the driver from your car project probably isn't well suited for the Paradigm cabinet. It'll be a huge coincidence if the Paradigm sub enclosure happens to line up with cabinet requirements of that car sub.

If any of my Velodyne subs ever has a blown or failed (ie the foam surround) driver, I would most likely opt to have Velodyne re-cone/rebuild the driver.
I was wondering that myself. The Paradigm enclosure is ported (3 pretty large ports), contains fiberfill, and is probably right at a cubic foot in volume (internal). The D3 is said to require at least 0.75 cu ft (internal dimension).

The main thing is...it DOES sound good. Bass it tight and accurate when listening to music but can be explosive in the home theater. I'm really pleasantly surprised.
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0