Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #67
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Hey - did Squishy just get banned...err I mean, "granted a mandatory vacation from the forums"?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #68
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Hey - did Squishy just get banned...err I mean, "granted a mandatory vacation from the forums"?
Looks like the mods had enough of his attitude problem.

I didn't really have a problem with the guy but recently almost every one of his posts has been a personal attack on another member so I've been ignoring him for the most part. It seemed he had a mental breakdown in the "personal trainer" thread where he just went off on me and someone else.
      01-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #69
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Yeah, I noticed this as well...always seemed to be on the attack. Ah well, I'm sure he'll change his IP and be back online again shortly.

Doesn't really matter to me either way, just always curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #70
ComptonAssDaniel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Damn. Reading though this -- very sad.

I'm not against people carrying, as most my friends and family do, however I definitely see the argument for tighter control laws.

To think that it could have been the 2-year old that died as opposed to the mother (which is still definitely tragic), she was clearly not responsible enough to have a weapon.

We spend more time teaching people to drive and get licensed, but nowhere near as much training to own a firearm. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #71
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue overpriced POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTKING View Post
couldn't have been said any better.
Agree too! Here is my problem with this. The Mom got shot but what would have happened if another Walmart customer was the one who got shot by the kid? Think about it... You wife and kid shopping at Walmart next to them, a family member, etc.

That is when I think about the consequences of leaving a purse with a loaded weapon within the kid's reach.

It makes me sad to know that the most powerful country in the world still has issues with getting somewhat civilized and educated.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #72
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComptonAssDaniel View Post
Damn. Reading though this -- very sad.

I'm not against people carrying, as most my friends and family do, however I definitely see the argument for tighter control laws.

To think that it could have been the 2-year old that died as opposed to the mother (which is still definitely tragic), she was clearly not responsible enough to have a weapon.

We spend more time teaching people to drive and get licensed, but nowhere near as much training to own a firearm. Crazy.
That's because driving is not a constitutional right, it's a privilege. That privilege is handed out to ALL people within our borders where as firearm ownership is not.

That being said, i could get on board with additional training requirements for anyone who chooses to conceal carry. Although, where do you draw the line? Our armed forces and police are all "highly trained" and yet friendly fire and negligent mistakes are still made.

Some times i think that the general public feels that their peers aren't qualified to carry a gun because they have misunderstood notion that military and police personnel are all as proficient with firearms as the movie character Jason Borne is. When the fact of the matter is, 99% of the military and police ARE the general public. They don't call special forces operators Elite for nothing and they are as minuscule in numbers as they are elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPA View Post
Agree too! Here is my problem with this. The Mom got shot but what would have happened if another Walmart customer was the one who got shot by the kid? Think about it... You wife and kid shopping at Walmart next to them, a family member, etc.

That is when I think about the consequences of leaving a purse with a loaded weapon within the kid's reach.

It makes me sad to know that the most powerful country in the world still has issues with getting somewhat civilized and educated.
Your post touches on important issues. Going from bottom to top; what worries me about your statement is that you seem to think the country is supposed to get it's people "somewhat civilized and educated." Well, that can only happen the other way round. The people need to get themselves civilized and educated. The government can't do that.

Your other two statements are powerful and point directly to responsible gun ownership. The 2 year old shooting another store patron was a very real possibility. And that should, i hope, ring very loudly with people who conceal carry. I for one believe that if you are going to carry a concealed weapon, it should be on your person at all times. Not in a bag, not in a briefcase, not in your car, not in your desk, etc... If you're weapon is on your hip, in your waist band, in your bra, on your ankle, etc... you KNOW if someone has their hands on it. If you must carry it in a bag, that bag should be a cross shoulder bag and should be worn at all times. Even in the car if you have other passengers riding with you. The child could have done the same thing while mother was driving. Potentially causing more damage.

I'm also on board with legislation that states any gun owner has to report any gun as being stolen or lost. If you don't and that gun is used in a crime, you too can be criminally charged as an accomplice. Keeping guns out of criminal hands and out of the hands of those not qualified to own or handle them would all but remove gun violence and gun accidents in this country. Making legal gun owners responsible for their weapons would be a good first step.

A lot of people really don't even think about it and have their guns just sitting in a cabinet somewhere in the house. On the shelf in the closet. Hell, several years ago, i just keep them piled up in the corner of my bedroom. i'm not sure what brought it on, but I all of a sudden realized that if someone were to break into my home i would likely be contributing to the gun violence problem in America. So now i have 50 cubic foot safe bolted to the concrete slab in my closet. Trust me, i would have rather spent that money on a new firearm or more ammo, but knowing my weapons are locked up tight is more of a relief than i imagined it would be.

People need to realize that cliche line of with great power comes great responsibility is actually true, even just one gun making it's way to inappropriate or incapable hands can cause a lot of damage and pain for many people. Firearms should be kept in a safe at all times unless being used or on your person. Anything else makes for an irresponsible gun owner.
      01-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #73
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

It kind of defeats the purpose to conceal carry when the weapon is in your purse. What if some dude wanted to grab your purse? Do you think you can reach your weapon when it's being flung around? I doubt it. Shit never happens perfectly in real life. You can do 1000 drills reaching for the pistol in your purse, but when the reality hits, you won't grab it.

This is just a case of neglect. The victim is also the child who has to live with the fact he shot his mom. Will he remember the event? Hopefully not. I don't remember a damn thing before I was 5 so I hope this is the case for him.
      01-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #74
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
It kind of defeats the purpose to conceal carry when the weapon is in your purse. What if some dude wanted to grab your purse? Do you think you can reach your weapon when it's being flung around? I doubt it. Shit never happens perfectly in real life. You can do 1000 drills reaching for the pistol in your purse, but when the reality hits, you won't grab it.

This is just a case of neglect. The victim is also the child who has to live with the fact he shot his mom. Will he remember the event? Hopefully not. I don't remember a damn thing before I was 5 so I hope this is the case for him.
yeah, but your actions prior to 5 years old aren't immortalized on the internet for all to see.
      01-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #75
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I somewhat agree that conceal carry should in on your body. However, as I've seen multiple women who ccw, it is harder for them to conceal. Even real small IWB comptac holster will print on some women with < size 6.

As being said, some uses different method like purse, or bra ccw carry, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post

01-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #76
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Coming from CA, where not only is it tougher to drive a car due to state regulations, it's ridiculously difficult to get/carry guns. We are already required to report stolen, but the claim most use is that "I didn't know it was missing until you knocked on my door, officer"
The somewhat rational fear is that once the state gets a database, then the ability to use that database to take away my firearms goes up, although SO FAR, not a lot. We now have a rule that cons who purchased a gun since CA required the 15-day application, someone (yeah, I'm not volunteering for this job) is supposed to remove the gun from the con's possession/home.

I haven't got a safe yet, but I too had a bit of a revelation several years ago, and now I won't let a gun into/out of my house without a trigger lock securely in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #77
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Do Americans have any clue how the rest of the world shakes it's head at it's gun culture? Absolutely stupifying.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #78
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Do Americans have any clue how the rest of the world shakes it's head at it's gun culture? Absolutely stupifying.
Of course we do. We also realize how the world shakes it's head at us for everything else too, but we don't care, which makes us the awesomest.

Unfortunately we have many many stupid people in this country that makes the rest of us look bad.

One rotten egg can spoil a whole container depending on who you ask. Other people would discard the one bad egg and appreciate the rest of the good carton.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #79
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue overpriced POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Your post touches on important issues. Going from bottom to top; what worries me about your statement is that you seem to think the country is supposed to get it's people "somewhat civilized and educated." Well, that can only happen the other way round. The people need to get themselves civilized and educated. The government can't do that.
Joe, excellent post and thank you for challenging my statement.... I agree with the fact that it is a personal choice to grow as individuals in a society but in the US we suffer from a vicious sense of entitlement, where the majority of people don't care about others... All in the name of freedom.

I believe this is one example. "I will carry a gun because I can" without thinking about the consequences.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #80
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Of course we do. We also realize how the world shakes it's head at us for everything else too, but we don't care, which makes us the awesomest.

Unfortunately we have many many stupid people in this country that makes the rest of us look bad.

One rotten egg can spoil a whole container depending on who you ask. Other people would discard the one bad egg and appreciate the rest of the good carton.
All descendants of the rest of the world.

Quote:
Joe, excellent post and thank you for challenging my statement.... I agree with the fact that it is a personal choice to grow as individuals in a society but in the US we suffer from a vicious sense of entitlement, where the majority of people don't care about others... All in the name of freedom.

I believe this is one example. "I will carry a gun because I can" without thinking about the consequences.
Thank the government for that.

Reading statements from the family, i believe this is one example of a mother who decided to carry a gun because she wasn't going to let herself or her children become a victims. And in doing so, made a critical, negligent mistake. As you pointed out, the only bright side was that it didn't happen to an unrelated party. But that's just my opinion.
      01-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #81
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Coming from CA, where not only is it tougher to drive a car due to state regulations, it's ridiculously difficult to get/carry guns. We are already required to report stolen, but the claim most use is that "I didn't know it was missing until you knocked on my door, officer"
The somewhat rational fear is that once the state gets a database, then the ability to use that database to take away my firearms goes up, although SO FAR, not a lot. We now have a rule that cons who purchased a gun since CA required the 15-day application, someone (yeah, I'm not volunteering for this job) is supposed to remove the gun from the con's possession/home.

I haven't got a safe yet, but I too had a bit of a revelation several years ago, and now I won't let a gun into/out of my house without a trigger lock securely in place.
I'm not for mandatory registration. But make no mistake, there is a data base. it's just not easily accessible and doesn't account for private sales. But in the event of a gun being found. Authorities can trace it back to it's original sale where it entered the public. From there, it can become difficult to track if there were private sales.
      01-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #82
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Really curious as to how you came to that conclusion...
      01-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #83
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Well I guess it's a good thing you don't live there then, huh?
      01-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #84
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I'm not for mandatory registration. But make no mistake, there is a data base. it's just not easily accessible and doesn't account for private sales. But in the event of a gun being found. Authorities can trace it back to it's original sale where it entered the public. From there, it can become difficult to track if there were private sales.
To a point in the past, I agree. I seriously doubt if the .22LR my father gave me for Christmas when I was 12 showed up at a homicide that my dad or I would ever be contacted unless latents were retrieved.

For the record, I actually AM for registration. I also strongly support the concept of background investigations, but would prefer something like a gun license where I could do it once and be done until it were revoked by the courts. Then instead of a 15-day wait, I get it when I buy it. IF I already have the gun license, I already have a weapon I could use in a heat of passion event.

I also like the new law here in CA where a petition to the courts by family/friends can lead to probable cause to search for weapons, vis a vie that Santa Barbara shooter.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #85
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
To a point in the past, I agree. I seriously doubt if the .22LR my father gave me for Christmas when I was 12 showed up at a homicide that my dad or I would ever be contacted unless latents were retrieved.

For the record, I actually AM for registration. I also strongly support the concept of background investigations, but would prefer something like a gun license where I could do it once and be done until it were revoked by the courts. Then instead of a 15-day wait, I get it when I buy it. IF I already have the gun license, I already have a weapon I could use in a heat of passion event.

I also like the new law here in CA where a petition to the courts by family/friends can lead to probable cause to search for weapons, vis a vie that Santa Barbara shooter.
I hadn't heard about this. What happens if they find weapons but they are all legally owned? Do the police decide that you're paranoid and need psych eval and take you in anyway? That just seems like such a slippery slope to me.

Actually wasn't the Santa Barbara shooter visited by cops about a month before?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #86
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Read every single posts on this thread to laugh at people who just do not hesitate to jump on the topic to say guns are the problem. They usually have very stuck up personalities, etc. (sigh)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #87
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol @ "gun culture". It makes sense you and the rest of you say that, based on what you say.
I laughed. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #88
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksi View Post
Read every single posts on this thread to laugh at people who just do not hesitate to jump on the topic to say guns are the problem. They usually have very stuck up personalities, etc. (sigh)
Well....not everyone can be as well rounded and adjusted as you. More's the pity.
Appreciate 0