Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
Travelling to london, should i rent a car?

So i've never had the chance to visit any part of Europe so far, however i'll be hopping the pond later this year. The first part of our trip starts out in London where we'll be staying for 2 or 3 nights. There are 5 of us, myself and my parents and my aunt & uncle. I'm wondering if we should consider renting a car. We're flying in to Heathrow.

-Should we rent a car at all?
-If so, should we rent it at the airport? If we do, will we need to return it to the airport, or can we return it to a different location near central london?
-Do most hotels offer Parking
-What about parking at at the sights we go to see.
-Should we maybe consider only renting for one of the 3 days?
-How is public transport?

Things to consider,
-my parents and my aunt & uncle are somewhat older (all ~60). They walk fine, and don't have any problems w/ walking, except that they do of course get tired sooner than i would.
-since it's a group, would things like taking cabs end up being cheaper than taking busses, etc?

any input would be greatly appreciated.
      03-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
carbonbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Do not rent a car in london, you dont need it. The Underground (subway) system is amazing and very efficient. There is a lot of traffic and takes much longer to got to your destination. Just got bak last night from london

cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
///Mik3
United_States
Rep

Garage List
alright, so it sounds like a car is definitely not needed in central london. Now what if we wanted to go outside of london, to see some other sites? or go to other cities? Would you maybe suggest renting a car for one of the 3-4 days, just to go outside of london for the day? Is there anything within like 150 miles of london that's worth trekking out to see/do?
      03-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mik3 View Post
alright, so it sounds like a car is definitely not needed in central london. Now what if we wanted to go outside of london, to see some other sites? or go to other cities? Would you maybe suggest renting a car for one of the 3-4 days, just to go outside of london for the day? Is there anything within like 150 miles of london that's worth trekking out to see/do?
There are lots of things to see outside of London, but it depends how much time you have. For example - Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, the cities of Bath and Brighton....

All the above are great tourist attractions, but all will require a minimum of an hour and a half travelling time. You could go and visit both Stonehenge and Windsor Castle in one day, and if you are doing that then renting a car for a day would be a good idea. There are lots of places to rent in London - cost will be about £40 for the day.

During your stay in London, don't bother with a car. I live in Central London and for the most part use the public transport system - the underground/subway and bus network is fantastic, although crowded at times. If needed, the cabs are plentiful and easy to find.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

If you rent a car, you'll have to pay a daily tax imposed on all car traffic depending on the locations in the city you drive. I think the areas around parliment are most expensive since it's the most "touristy". And you will have to pay the tax. There's security cameras on every building and intersection in London. They WILL find you.

We rented a car on the last day of our trip in London when we were headed down past Bath and into Penzance. If you've never driven in England, it's an experience. The roads are like glass. Incredibly smooth.

If you are just staying in London, don't get a car. Parking is rediculous and you can get anywhere by foot using the Underground. Just remember to "Mind The Gap".

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
///Mik3
United_States
Rep

Garage List
awesome, all great info guys! Would love any more input you guys could give me regarding travel in & around london and surrounding areas that are worth visiting!
      03-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Born and raised in London. The traffic was bad in the 1980s. It is an absolute nightmare now.

I can only ditto what has been said above. A car is useless in London. Get yourself an Oyster card for each of you at any underground station, put 10 quid on each one and you can go anywhere.

I would however recommend a car for travelling outside of London. As I am stateside now, I always reserve mine through the internet. There are a ton of independant car rental places and you should be able to get a good deal. Be aware that most europeans drive stick so if you need an auto, make sure you ask for one.

There is tons to see outside of London but if you're there for only 2 or 3 days, I would stick to touring the city. Buck House, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls...take the boat down the Thames - you can use your Oyster card on that, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, The Royal Parks, Leicester Square, The West End, Soho, Covent Garden, etc.

Frankly every time I go back I make the mistake of walking in a pub and there goes the whole day
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
carbonbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Yes just get a Oyster card and use the underground. Just make sure you punch out when u leave the station.
Appreciate 0