08-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I know a few people who have been to India and their experiences were all identical to what samwoo described so well. Epic shithole. I don't doubt that it's beautiful but the vast majority of the country lives in utter squalor. I am a pretty avid traveler but I honestly have very little desire to go to India after hearing the experiences others have been through.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
India was never on my list of places to travel, this confirms it.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
India was never on my list of places to travel, this confirms it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #26
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Not sure where exactly ppl are venturing out to in India, but it's not that crazy/disgusting. Yes, the cities are pretty dirty w/filth on the roadsides and the ghetto/slums; but, if you're a tourist who's only really going there to look at touristy places, I have no idea why you'd go to those places. I've walked around in South Bombay, Bandra, etc. at night w/no issues.

If you're going to see the Taj, for example, all you do is leave your 5* hotel, get in a taxi or the hotel's car, and they take you straight there. Get out, check it out, and you're back on your way. It's not some rogue country where every other person is gonna rape/rob/shoot you. Eat at the reputable 4-5* restaurants and, again, you're fine. I've eaten at the roadside stalls as well w/o any problems, but it is a bigger risk.

Go to the good bar/clubs in Bandra/south Bombay/Delhi at night and you'll find little difference betw that and the U.S. If you have an open mind and aren't stupid, you won't get into a situation that'll put you in harms way (this is the case whether you're in India or south Philly).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Friend of mine who went to India and said he survived on subway and instant noodles he brought with him. Also talked about the shitting on the streets and how dirty everything is. Hear they only clean the Taj Mahal within 15 feet of the perimeter and after that it looks like trash.

For the record, I still want to visit India. Love Indian food.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #28
thesixsins
Graphic Designer For Hire...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola ZHP 6mt Slicktop

Thanks for all the opinions everyone, after reading about all the poverty and $hit hole ass wiping I'm even more excited... (being sarcastic).

Anyways I seem to remember asking for slightly more specific information i.e. Things to do, places to eat...

I was looking for information I can't really find doing a google search.
Like "you should eat at this (insert restaurant name)" and "There is this great festival in Katmandu in that part of town"...
There is no yelp.com to refer to.

So far We'll be riding the Darjeeling train, and visiting a few typical tourist spots...

Thanks!