2007 335i  [0.00]
Hey Fatties

Please stop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/he...4fat.html?_r=2

Quote:
August 3, 2010
Obesity Rates Keep Rising, Troubling Health Officials
By DENISE GRADY

Americans are continuing to get fatter and fatter, with obesity rates reaching 30 percent or more in nine states last year, as opposed to only three states in 2007, health officials reported on Tuesday.

The increases mean that 2.4 million more people became obese from 2007 to 2009, bringing the total to 72.5 million, or 26.7 percent of the population. The numbers are part of a continuing and ominous trend.

But the rates are probably underestimates because they are based on a phone survey in which 400,000 participants were asked their weight and height instead of having it measured by someone else, and people have a notorious tendency to describe themselves as taller and lighter than they really are.

“Over the past several decades, obesity has increased faster than anyone could have imagined it would,” said Dr. Thomas Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which issued a report on the prevalence of obesity. Obesity rates have doubled in adults and tripled in children in recent decades, Dr. Frieden said.

If the numbers keep going up, he added, “more people will get sick and die from the complications of obesity, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer.”

The report estimates the medical costs of obesity to be as high as $147 billion a year, and notes that “past efforts and investments to prevent and control obesity have not been adequate.”

Researchers blame the usual suspects: too little exercise and too much of the wrong kind of food, which means not enough fruits and vegetables and too many high-calorie meals full of sugar and fat, like French fries, soda and other sweet drinks. Children do not get enough exercise during the school day; Dr. Frieden noted that even in gym classes, students are active for only about a third of the time.

A 5-foot-4-inch woman is obese if she weighs 174 pounds, as is a 5-foot-10-inch man who weights 209 or more, according to the disease centers. Both would have a body-mass index, or BMI, of 30; that index is calculated from height and weight, and scores of 30 or over are defined as obese.

The nine states with obesity rates of 30 percent or more are Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee and West Virginia. The highest rate, 34.4 percent, was in Mississippi.

People over 50 had higher rates of obesity than those who were younger. The aging of the population may account for some of the general increase in obesity, but not all of it, said Dr. Heidi Blanck, chief of the disease centers’ obesity branch of the division of nutrition, physical activity and obesity.

Non-Hispanic black women had the highest obesity rate, 41.9 percent. Over all, blacks and Hispanics were more likely than whites to be obese, and the more education people had, the less likely they were to be heavy.

Only Colorado and Washington, D.C., had obesity rates under 20 percent. Researchers are not sure why. Dr. William Dietz, director of the nutrition, physical activity and obesity division, said that Colorado had spent money from a state lottery on biking and walking trails and that many people were using them. The state seems to have “a culture of physical activity,” he said.

Dr. Dietz said the relatively low prevalence of obesity in Washington was harder to explain, particularly because the area has a large black population.

He said one explanation may be that many residents ride the subway; studies have shown that compared with people who drive, those who use public transportation tend to be thinner because it involves more walking. In addition, Dr. Dietz said, there is evidence of above-average fruit and vegetable consumption, and higher rates of breast-feeding, both of which are linked to lower rates of obesity.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Yeah. Mississippi blows.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Fatties who don't do anything to better themselves make me rage quit.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

i'm about 5 pounds underweight for my height :|
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
The "progression" of obesity growth in those states are mind-blowing. Look at the picture carefully. In 10 years certain states jumped 10-15%!

30-35% obesity, wow 1 out of 3 people!

On a side note, I didn't see obese people in Europe, cept American tourists. Obesity is killing our tax dollars and Healthcare costs.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
me too! but I've been working out for a while now to gain a little more weight and it's helping.

btw Charmander > Squirtle.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I propose a fat tax. All obese people pay extra for health care. Alternatively, obese people are denied health coverage.

I can't stand fat people (who are happy the way they are.) I just don't get how it's possible to let yourself get so big. I've been idle for a few years and gained some pounds after leg injuries, but it was fairly easy to lose it all with some work.
      08-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

I am currently studying in Ontario and trust me, it's getting more and more obvious that they are making their way into Canada. The worst is that they don't try to lose weight. I fricking see them eating Tim Hortons and McDonalds everyday.

People are dumb.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
What saddens me is that everyday as I leave my gym, the two McDonalds I drive past on the way home almost always have lines on the drive-thru. People choose the easy, the quick, and the cheap - and 99% of the time that equals unhealthy.

Not to mention the sedentary habits that just add-on to poor nutrition, and the constant search for the 'easy way out'...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
well, driving a BMW with sport seats will keep you out of that McDonalds line. 1. the cup holders cant hold the large soda. 2. if u get huge you wont fit in the seat!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I wonder how they get the results for these articles? If it just out of people that go to the doctor or show up to a random survey I'll bet the numbers are actually WAYYYYY higher. All the fatties in these states sit around and don't do anything...lol

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

I can't help it, I have big bones.......
      08-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Has anyone seen the Safe Auto commercial where this 400 pound chick dances at the end? I fucking vomit every time. I dont want to see you giggle your blubber on prime time TV. I don't want to sit next to you on a plane with your armpit fat touching my shoulders. I don't want to see you cry on "Reality" shows as you sob, "Why can't someone just love me for me?" Between airline surcharges and Obamacare, we are going to be paying by the pound for the rest of our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
I propose a fat tax. All obese people pay extra for health care. Alternatively, obese people are denied health coverage.

I can't stand fat people (who are happy the way they are.) I just don't get how it's possible to let yourself get so big. I've been idle for a few years and gained some pounds after leg injuries, but it was fairly easy to lose it all with some work.
Agree. See Japan:
http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/06/...ng-waistlines/

I found this bit funny:
Quote:
But skeptics say there’s no need for such drastic measures. “I don’t think the campaign will have any positive effect,” Yoichi Ogushi, a professor at Tokai University’s School of Medicine told the NYT. “Now if you did this in the United States, there would be benefits, since there are many Americans who weigh more than 100 kilograms,” or about 220 pounds. “But the Japanese are so slender that they can’t afford to lose weight.”

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

^^^ Its true. The only fat people I saw in Europe were other Americans. And a few old German bakers. I'm not fat, but I struggled to find shirts that fit me over there. Its a totally different aesthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
According to what? The national standard?

You should be more focused on your body fat percentage than anything. Even the BMI is not accurate IMO.

It's the way Americans eat....when you go to a restaurant, you have the appetizer, main course, and desert. That's basically your calorie intake for the day....all in one meal.

And they keep raising the bar with these burgers. They have the quadruple cheeseburger with cheese and crap now?

And fast foods for those who are on the crunch for money. There's a reason why they can sell those burgers for $1. The meat is not of high quality. And the cows they grow on their own farms are injected with steroid to maximize the growth before they hit the slaughterhouse....have fun trying to burn that off at the gym.

It's disgusting when I see fat people eat a CRAP load of foods late night at the movies and such. It's even more laughable when I see the fat girl friend hating on their fit friends and call them 'skin and bone'.

As a former fatty, losing weight is pretty easy if you dedicate yourself. It's even easier on your pocket. During the ~10 months or so that I was worked on getting down from 220 to 140, I saved a nice amount of money that I used to spend eating out and drinking.

The key word is dedicate. I see so many people who barely walk on the treadmill while drinking a venti frap from Starbucks. You would be better off to skip both the gym and drink.

You don't even have to hit the gym in order to lose weight (although it's best to minimize your muscle lost, but that's another story)...you just gotta change your eating habit.

I'm Asian and when my family members come here, they are amazed at how fat Americans are, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
I wonder how they get the results for these articles? If it just out of people that go to the doctor or show up to a random survey I'll bet the numbers are actually WAYYYYY higher. All the fatties in these states sit around and don't do anything...lol
All studies are bias, bro. Anything from expensive cohort studies that take decades to wrap up to studies that compose of a group of 10 people that take a day to conclude.

We can probably get a VERY different average of weight from this board alone if we were to take samples of members who are in the fitness thread vs. those who are not.

But Americans are definitely overweight. Several years ago, I read that the 'average' American male is 5'10'', 160 lbs, and wears sz 32. I'll believe the former, but the 2 latter statements....I don't believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
All my Asian relatives who came here became fat or fatter slowly over time. It's definitely diet and lack of exercise in the U.S..

Two major problems:
1. Poor public transportation. It is understood due to the size of our country but it should not be the case in most major metropolitan areas (see Los Angeles). San Francisco/NY on the other hand are a different story, but they still are shit in comparison to Tokyo.

122 rail lines and 1,800 stations serve the Tokyo metro area. ONE station (Shinjuku)alone handles 3.6 million passengers per day. For comparison, the entire New York rail network, with it's 552 stations, handles only 5 million people per day They are almost NEVER late and there is almost no crime.

2. Diet - It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to eat unhealthy here as opposed to eating healthy. If you go to Brazil, it is the opposite. Have you seen Brazilians? (Spool where r u?)

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post

2. Diet - It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to eat unhealthy here as opposed to eating healthy. If you go to Brazil, it is the opposite. Have you seen Brazilians? (Spool where r u?)
Assuming you eat out 24/7, yes. I do agree with you in general, this is why there are a lot of fast food joints in lower income 'hoods.

You don't even need to be a pro to 'cook' the basics. Go to WalMart and pick up a George Foreman grill for $20. With minimal skills, you can grill steak, turkey, fish, etc. Throw in some fruits, yogurt, veggies, nuts in the mix...and you're good to go.

Stop drinking soda..this is also big. If you go to Starbucks and order a fatty drink, reduce the amount of pumps, opt for no whip, and fat free milk. These small factors will make a difference in the big picture. Reduce the intake of alcohol will also help if you drink.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
According to what? The national standard?

You should be more focused on your body fat percentage than anything. Even the BMI is not accurate IMO.

It's the way Americans eat....when you go to a restaurant, you have the appetizer, main course, and desert. That's basically your calorie intake for the day....all in one meal.

And they keep raising the bar with these burgers. They have the quadruple cheeseburger with cheese and crap now?

And fast foods for those who are on the crunch for money. There's a reason why they can sell those burgers for $1. The meat is not of high quality. And the cows they grow on their own farms are injected with steroid to maximize the growth before they hit the slaughterhouse....have fun trying to burn that off at the gym.

It's disgusting when I see fat people eat a CRAP load of foods late night at the movies and such. It's even more laughable when I see the fat girl friend hating on their fit friends and call them 'skin and bone'.

As a former fatty, losing weight is pretty easy if you dedicate yourself. It's even easier on your pocket. During the ~10 months or so that I was worked on getting down from 220 to 140, I saved a nice amount of money that I used to spend eating out and drinking.

The key word is dedicate. I see so many people who barely walk on the treadmill while drinking a venti frap from Starbucks. You would be better off to skip both the gym and drink.

You don't even have to hit the gym in order to lose weight (although it's best to minimize your muscle lost, but that's another story)...you just gotta change your eating habit.

I'm Asian and when my family members come here, they are amazed at how fat Americans are, haha.
+10000000
      08-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #21
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quality food helps.

I never saw anyone get fat eating grilled chicken, and veggies.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
+10000000
aren't there also variances in physiology at work?

in any case, in addition to the things you listed above, there are other easy ways to have a less sedentary lifestyle:
-park further away no matter where you go (this should be easy for most bmw owners)
-get a pedometer, and try to get 7k+ steps in a day. once you reach that baseline, go for 10k (examples of how to get there: at work, take the long way to the cafeteria, or when you need to goto the bathroom, use one on a diff floor so that you are forced to take the stairs)
-get into a class or hobby that you enjoy doing, and be consistent (i.e. pickup basketball, mountain biking, hiking, walking, cardio class of some kind, etc etc)

if you are relatively active, you can eat fairly liberally (within reason), and even have fast food once in a while, and still maintain a normal weight.