Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
I propose a fat tax. All obese people pay extra for health care. Alternatively, obese people are denied health coverage.

I can't stand fat people (who are happy the way they are.) I just don't get how it's possible to let yourself get so big. I've been idle for a few years and gained some pounds after leg injuries, but it was fairly easy to lose it all with some work.
And the money collected in taxes can be paid to people like me. Who eat healthy and exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre01SS View Post
What saddens me is that everyday as I leave my gym, the two McDonalds I drive past on the way home almost always have lines on the drive-thru. People choose the easy, the quick, and the cheap - and 99% of the time that equals unhealthy.

Not to mention the sedentary habits that just add-on to poor nutrition, and the constant search for the 'easy way out'...
Don't lie....you stop at Mickey D's on occasion after your workout. I've been known to hit up Chic-Fil-A that across the street from my gym. lol Nothing like a sweet tea after a kicking my ass in the gym.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You can eat fast food and lose weight, i do probably 2-3 times a week ranging from subway to burger king/wendy's/etc. The key is to limit yourself on the calorie intake and still stay active. When eating fast food, just be smart about things. I mean when your at burger king or wendy's don't order the cheese, take out the mayo you've cut the fat content by over 50%. Also skip the large order of fries and switch to diet. Your calorie intake won't be out of control and as long as you are relatively active (sports 1-2 times a week and work out 2 times a week or so) you'll stay relatively in decent shape..far from obese.

The whole reason why people can't lose weight is they don't eat smart and are lazy..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

eh, at least these fatties will die before the ss checks start coming in.

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #26
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
You can eat fast food and lose weight, i do probably 2-3 times a week ranging from subway to burger king/wendy's/etc. The key is to limit yourself on the calorie intake and still stay active. When eating fast food, just be smart about things. I mean when your at burger king or wendy's don't order the cheese, take out the mayo you've cut the fat content by over 50%. Also skip the large order of fries and switch to diet. Your calorie intake won't be out of control and as long as you are relatively active (sports 1-2 times a week and work out 2 times a week or so) you'll stay relatively in decent shape..far from obese.

The whole reason why people can't lose weight is they don't eat smart and are lazy..
Actually fast food burgers in the right portions aren't nearly as bad as the burgers and food you get at restaurants. Omg some of the burgers you see at denny's or tgif has insane amounts of trans fat and calories.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #27
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
Actually fast food burgers in the right portions aren't nearly as bad as the burgers and food you get at restaurants. Omg some of the burgers you see at denny's or tgif has insane amounts of trans fat and calories.
buy ground beef add onions and some other stuff
make patties
throw on grill
???
profit
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #28
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Since when are those considered actual restaurants?

Doesn't NYC have a version of the fat tax in place? Certain food items are taxed more?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You can save a lot of calories by either substituting or removing ingredients.

Diet coke instead of regular.
No cheese.
Skim milk.
Sauce on the side.
Less sauce.
Your choice of bread/grain
Low sodium soy sauce (sushi restaurants)
Etc.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
buy ground beef add onions and some other stuff
make patties
throw on grill
???
profit
haha i would actually skip the ground beef altogether. I would opt for lean ground turkey, minced onions, a dash of salt, some pepper, lemon, chives, a sprinkle of worcestershire sauce, whole wheat buns, fresh lettuce,pickles, tomatoes, mustard mixed with a little bit of honey. mm good stuff. and some light ranch with carrot sticks on the side.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #31
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

My home state, doing what it can to keep the national average down!

The biggest difference is to stop eating out multiple times per week and go for a bike ride or walk every day. Also helps if your state has nice weather.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #32
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
haha i would actually skip the ground beef altogether. I would opt for lean ground turkey, minced onions, a dash of salt, some pepper, lemon, chives, a sprinkle of worcestershire sauce, whole wheat buns, fresh lettuce,pickles, tomatoes, mustard mixed with a little bit of honey. mm good stuff. and some light ranch with carrot sticks on the side.
Ain't a burger if ain't made outta beef, sonnyboy.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

go lookup the calories of a royal burger from red robins..insane!

and burgers are made of ground beef. Nothing wrong with it unless you are a true weight watcher. Don't forget, for guys obese is > 25% body fat so its like...a LOT of burgers and very little exercise lol..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Also another thing that makes me laugh is that some people think if they eat Subway and eat yogurt instead of ice cream....that will magically make them lose weight. It doesn't work when you load up the Subway sandwich with bacon and ranch dressing and such. With the yogurt, ie Pinkberry, it's a healthier alternative if you get a small proportion and keep the toppings healthy. It doesn't work when you load up the king size cup with chocolate flavor yogurt and put cheesecake bits and drown everything with chocolate sauce, lol.

If you start working out on a regular basis, I think you will become addicted to it shortly. The first 1-3 months will be the hardest, but after that...you will actually look forward to working out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #35
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
The problem with most of Subway's diet is sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure, yet another issue.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #36
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

The Government subsidizing the corn idustry, Corn is then put into everything in processed form to get more bang for their buck, ie: High fructose corn syrup and this is why everyone is so damn fat. Corn syrup actually inhibites the part of your brain that tells you that you are full, so you eat more. It is the processed nature of the food and the chemicals in it. Corn in its raw state is ok, but when combined with all the sugars and chemicals it becomes awful starchy fatty crap that helps mass food processors add to their meats and drinks to increase the volume and make more money by giving you less of what you actually want.

Ask yourself how in the world McDonalds can sell you a burger flarge fries and coke for 2 bucks and you get the picture. The burger is not all meat but crap left over and processed with Corn syrup and flower along with other chemicals and preservatives. None of which is good for you. I read some place that the meat these places use is rate Grade K on the FDA scale. As bad as you can get, and it is legal, and pot is not?Go figure.

On the flip side you can not feed billions of people on the planet with organic food. it is not possible. The harvest would have to many times larger than that of the crops that are then destined to become processed and packaged. The yeild on an organic crop of the same size is tiny in comparison and the food does not last as long and can not survive long transport times in trucks even when refirgerated. This is one of the biggest reason organic is so expensive. They get less to sell so they have to charge more. Also most mass meat producers inject massive hormones(rBGH) into the chickens and cows to plump them up to get more meat. These Hormones are really bad for us, and are being linked to genetic defects and autism. This has been allowed for the last 30 years and wouldnt you know it, that autism and genetic defects, cancers have become more common. Hmmm. Anyone who thinks it is not a contributing factor, is damn a fool.

Untilwe have a massive population drop off or someone figures out how to grow good food on a large scale then bad food will remain the staple of society. The alternative is that people go hungry.

If any of you watch the show Bullshit on Showtime they did and show on this this season. pretty good watch. There is a movement by some elitiest yuppie scumbag trying to get fast food companies outlawed in most cities, and they do not see the problem with this, because they are rich and can afford the organic fresh food. They are totally out of touch with the fact that most of this country is below the poverty level or getting near it and can not buy that food. The show illustrated how a family of 4 can feed itself for 20 bucks at KFC and have some food left over for the next day. You can not do that with organic fresh food in most cases.

By the way the southern states are no surprise to me that they are the fattest. They eat mainly fried food there.

It is horrible, but until someone is smart enough to figure out an alternative, this is the reality we all will continue to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Ain't a burger if ain't made outta beef, sonnyboy.
Ground buffalo.

Tastes the same, looks the same, cooks the same, and so much better for you.
      08-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
2. Diet - It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to eat unhealthy here as opposed to eating healthy. If you go to Brazil, it is the opposite. Have you seen Brazilians? (Spool where r u?)
That's hilarious because just yesterday I was having a conversation with someone about that. I'm from Brazil myself, and growing up there I would eat everything fresh - from fruits to fish, to grassfed beef and all. Not bad for a 3rd world country whose very own lack of resources provide for 'higher quality' non-steroid/antibiotic grainfed beef.

The quality of the food is the most important. If you haven't seen Food Inc you need to.

The sedentary lifestyle most people lead here in the US is another major factor in the obesity rates. The lack of public transportation forcing people to drive everywhere for example is rampant in most cities here. I love going to Chicago/NYC for example where you can walk pretty everywhere or hop on the El/Subway.

BF% is the best way to track body composition. BMI is worthless in my opinion since its not an accurate portrayal (measuring lean mass and fat together).

People need to realize that yes, you need to be dedicated. And not everything is meant to be easy - weight loss/working out included. Every single gadget/gimmick for weight loss out there markets themselves as delivering results in '10 minutes a day.' I'm a CrossFit coach and I guarantee you my 10min workout is a little more intense than a bow-flex's, and will yield more fitness results. You want to lose weight? You do that in the kitchen...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #39
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
The show illustrated how a family of 4 can feed itself for 20 bucks at KFC and have some food left over for the next day. You can not do that with organic fresh food in most cases.
Fast food is way more expensive than buying ingredients to make a big meal.

You can eat more cheaply than $20 per meal for a family of 4 and have more food left over than buying fast food.

These morons are either just lazy or didn't bother to learn to cook.

Quote:
Ground buffalo.

Tastes the same, looks the same, cooks the same, and so much better for you.
But let me guess...costs more, amirite?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #40
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
But let me guess...costs more, amirite?
Yup.

If price is the deal breaker, ground turkey it is. McDonalds etc. aren't that cheap anymore. It's easy to get a decent home cooked, healthy meal at the same cost. The difference is time and effort. The majority of people don't like spending time or effort.
      08-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Yup.

If price is the deal breaker, ground turkey it is. McDonalds etc. aren't that cheap anymore. Some of their sandwiches are in the 5$+ range. It's easy to get a decent home cooked, healthy meal at the same cost. The difference is time and effort. The majority of people don't like spending time or effort.
I'll stick with ground beef until I can afford buffalo.

Prefer grilling my own burgers any day.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #42
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:

Turkey is pretty good too. I like my burgers simple...just the meat, avocado, lettuce, and a bit of ketchup. Oh and on wheat buns preferably.

A couple of years ago, I had my car serviced at a local dealership and crossed the street to check out the restaurants. There was a burger place that had all sort of meat you can want in a burger, ie buffalo and ostrich. I tried ostrich, and was kinda disappointed. I had no idea what to expect, but it tasted boring to me, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #43
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

+1 Plus living in Iowa I have friends that own cattle so I know what I am getting (fed well, little antibiotics, etc) and I only have to pay about $2 a pound when buying a quarter or more (>200 lbs). Usually about half ground chuck (much leaner than 97% at the store), and a quarter steak and a quarter roast/etc.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #44
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

pfft, nothing wrong with turkey BURGERS. Tastes good and healthier alternative. However, I will admit it doesn't taste nearly as good as a well prepared beef burger..
Appreciate 0