BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #23
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthelimit View Post
Yes. And apps/hardware that I am developing. If only one could detect certain nearby radio frequencies and transmission methodolgies in real time... hmmmm.

I was referring to intellectual rights licensing agreements between an artist (content originator) and a label or distributor (licensee).

DRM was a required evil back in the day to get content into sales channels and on to media players (remember "PlaysForSure" LoL... until it doesn't). DRM certainly does have the ancillary benefit of lock-in for the distributor. (Obviously not beneficial for us "enjoyers", from the standpoint of content portability.) Labels were not gonna part with their artists' material any other way.

My approach to listening material is qualitative (audio-wise in this case). And high-quality high resolution digital content tends to still be a little hard to wrangle. It's like hydrogen gas... escapes through nearly everything. LoL

Exactly why I want a hot charging electronic device in front of an A/C vent.
Just to be clear... I'm not endorsing any copyright infringement. I design and manufacture Computer Forensic Hardware and Software, so I completely understand DRM and its purpose and implications. I just want to be able to listen to the music I purchased anywhere, anytime, and on any device I want.

...and if you have a device that gets hot enough to need its own conditioned air supply when charging, then you have a different problem... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #24
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Congratulations on your air-cooled rechargeable Ray Gun. Mine is water cooled...

;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #25
JL101
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

interior suggestions

Hi

Just came across this thread as I had similar question. I've had my i8 coupe for about 2 years now and love it, and over this time have found some good solutions -- what I consider to be the best ones, after trying many different products -- for a few interior necessities, which I've described below. I still have some unsolved issues also, which I come to at the bottom of this post in case anyone has tips!

(First of all just to note regarding the passenger side power port staying powered after the car is turned off -- yes you may have noticed it staying on for a few minutes after the car is turned off, but I believe it automatically shuts off after a certain period, specifically so as not to drain the battery. This is either a set period of time and/or when it detects the car battery is at risk of getting low -- most modern cars have this type of mechanism in place to prevent this problem I believe. I can't remember whether I read this in the owner's manual or elsewhere, and I have not tested it much, but I seem to recall having read it in a reputable source. So might be worth looking into a bit more, if it matters anyway.)

Interior accessory #1: Phone mount

For phone mounting I use a Proclip. They do a mount that is specifically designed for the car, to which a holder specifically designed for whatever phone you have can attach. In my opinion they are a bit less clunky than the RAM mount solutions, and obscure less of the console buttons/controls... but I suppose it's subjective preference. You can either run your own charging cable from one of the USB/power ports to the holder, or buy one of the proclip holders that have cable built-in (they have a lot of different options, for every type of device). I used this solution in my previous car as well.

(Also just to note, as the cable runs along the centre console and plugs into its USB port, music can readily be played from the phone through the car's stereo.)

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/d...24-bmw-i8/2018

Accessory #2: Waste bin/bag

The next thing I needed was some kind of waste bin for things like tissues, gum wrappers etc. rather than just sticking garbage into a loose bag or the centre console. The best solution I found is this little leatherette bag that fits onto the storage net on the back of the passenger seat (well it could fit onto the back of either seat, but as the driver it's easiest to reach and use if you put it on the passenger seat rather than your own). It comes with a roll of black plastic liner bags which clip in, and it has magnetic closure which is easy to open and close. It's sometimes a little awkward to reach over to if you have tall drinks in the rear cupholders but otherwise it's been super useful. (I've not tried in the roadster so don't know if you have space for it, but if so it should work the same.). If you search I think they also make one without the Bmw logo if you prefer -- and the design aesthetically isn't super hot -- however in the i8 it's so low and out of the way you won't ever see it anyway except when tilting the seat forward. It would obstruct the footwell for rear passengers but the rear seats are too small for anyone to use in this car anyway! (In the roadster you may not even have seats in the back?)

https://www.amazon.com/MASHA-Wasteba...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Accessory #3: Cupholder Insert

Anytime you have a 500ml drink bottle in any of the cupholders it will move around a lot, which is distracting during driving, because it doesn't fill enough of the width of the cupholder to be stable. I'm talking about the usual 500ml soft drink or Evian water type bottles, that are tall and slim, or things like red bull cans that are just slim. So I bought this insert, which you can stick in one of the cupholders to support these slimmer drinks and it stops them moving around, really useful. Plus its sides angle inwards towards the bottom so that it's slightly narrower there than at the top, meaning it doesn't go all the way down in the cubby, so you can easily remove it and transfer it from cupholder to cupholder depending on where you want (or don't want) it to be. Just stick it in the new place and push it down a bit and it's super stable until you want to pull it out. These were designed for the same purpose for the Tesla model 3, which apparently also has wide non-adjustable cupholders, but they work great in the i8. I chose to only get one in case you have two wider drinks in the car, because I wasn't sure one of them would fit in the glove box for storage (and space there is at a premium anyway) but I might check to see if it will because maybe it would be good to have two of them in case one has two narrow drinks! Haha the problems of the i8 interior storage, we still love the car of course.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So those are my three top recommendations for interior accessories. Now onto my still unsolved problems:

Issue #1: Sunglasses holder/storage

As you mention there is nowhere to put a pair of shades. I've tried the cheap sun visor clips and cases you get on amazon but these both didn't work effectively (sunglasses moved around too much or weren't held securely, couldn't insert and remove them easily) and, often, just didn't match the interior design/style of the car.

For my previous car I used the below custom design sunglasses holster. Unfortunately I don't think the i8 interior trim will accommodate it in this form, so I have emailed the designed to ask if he can do one for the i8 because it was really great in my previous car. Could easily insert/remove shades with one hand while driving, stored securely in place and protected with button closure on the case, and not too much intrusion into passenger seat space really. Otherwise, I may try to find a sun visor organiser that has a good sunglasses clip or net pocket and that suits the i8.

http://t-design9.com/sunglass_holder...r_porsche.html

Issue #2: Umbrella holder

I live in London UK so rain is a major issue a lot of the time. If it's pouring down you definitely want to keep an umbrella inside the car so you don't get soaked running out to get one from the trunk. I am thinking a clip or some type of holder on the centre side of the passenger footwell would be good, that you can easily insert and remove a small or medium size umbrella from but that holds it securely when driving, and that doesn't intrude on the passenger's space too much. But I have a feeling to install such a thing properly it will require drilling into the side wall, which does scare me a bit. And I'm not even sure what specific type of holder would be best yet.

Any recommendations for either of these last two issues would be great, or even recommendations of alternatives for any of the other solutions I found because I'm always looking to improve things where possible or just interested what others have done. Always fun to make a great car better isn't it?

Jeff

Last edited by JL101; 01-01-2021 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0