BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #23
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlotcrew View Post
I can with certainty say that BEV's will out perform REX models in residuals as time goes on.
I don't think anyone can say anything with certainty about the residuals. Period.

Right now, both BEV and REX models have the exact same residual guessed values that BMW FS had derived for leasing purposes. As time passes and data comes in, that may change.

My guess is that the driving force for depreciation will have less to do with BEV vs. REX popularity, and much more with the rapidly advancing battery technology. Next year's i3 will have better batteries that will deliver 30-50% longer driving range from the same 18.8KWh battery pack. That will produce a massive depreciation hit to all current i3's, BEV as well as REX.

Quote:
Why anyone would buy a REX is totally beyond me, BEV's are way faster, better range on electric, whisper quiet, no ICE servicing and with working CCS chargers you can get round almost all of the country.
Your country is certainly way smaller than mine, but the rest of your observation are off the mark.

The reason US sales ratio of REX to BEV cars is around 10:1 is simple = extra range. In real world driving, you can extract ~80 miles out of BEV, and ~140 miles out of REX. That makes the latter significantly more versatile as a multi-purpose family car, not just an EV curiosity.

Also, the range in electric mode is the same between both cars, since REX allows you to drive further in EV mode in every day use, as you don't need to mentally reserve part of BEV battery for "get me to the nearest plug" range.

Delta acceleration (marginal), range (see above), quietness (same for EV mode, drowned by tire/wind noise at highway speeds).
I don't know what ICE servicing requirements will be. Haven't needed to do anything after 9K miles yet, but it will require more attention than a pure BEV car. Since most REX owners drive in EV mode 95% of the time, and use REX at the tail end of longer road trips, it will take years before REX generator needs service ;-)

Quote:
I did a 180m round trip to LHR T5 in 0º with two CCS stops, worked like a charm and cost me £0
The CCS stops every hour and a half (assuming highway driving) are not very practical if you are driving with kids, friends, or family. They are doable in a pinch, but best tolerated if you are driving alone, or are a big fan of truck stop areas.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 12-02-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #24
demlotcrew
Rep
Drives: i3 BEV

There wont be any 50% better battery next year, otherwise everyone is going to be in for a massive bill when they return their leased less than worthless three year old i3. (unless you have GAP insurance of course).

To get 50% more range out of the same battery would require less weight, less inertia loss and more efficient motors, this wont happen till at least 2020.

10:1 sales are due to the fuel addiction your country is suffering from, nothing to do with range as statistically the average daily commute is a fraction of the total REX range. If I had a £ for every time I seen a REX owner mention their engine has never kicked in and requires to enter maintenance mode? Says it all really.

Again, its physically impossible for a car that weighs significantly more with the same power output to out accelerate an identical car (drag, front cross sectional area, wake etc) with a higher power to weight ratio. I can assure you of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #25
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There wont be any 50% better battery next year, otherwise everyone is going to be in for a massive bill when they return their leased less than worthless three year old i3. (unless you have GAP insurance of course).

To get 50% more range out of the same battery would require less weight, less inertia loss and more efficient motors, this wont happen till at least 2020.
Sorry to break your heart, bro, but see for yourself:
https://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/25...sans-response/
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/25/ru...ive-july-2017/

+30% battery capacity and range with MY17 (in July 2016) to ~125 miles.
+50% to ~150 miles for MY18 (calendar 2017).

Roughly the same range upgrade curve as that of Nissan Leaf.
Gotta keep up with Tesla Model 3 range projections, else many i3 owners coming off lease over the next couple of years will be jumping into Model 3 !

The only party that will be taking a hit during lease returns of first gen i3's is BMW Financial Services. No gap insurance is required. You need to do your homework on how leasing contracts work.

Quote:
10:1 sales are due to the fuel addiction your country is suffering from, nothing to do with range as statistically the average daily commute is a fraction of the total REX range.
Sorry, this statement makes no sense at all.

Do show you data sources for:
- stats on average daily commute distances by country (US vs. euro minions)
- supposition that EV buyers are somehow emotionally attached to gasoline consumption (a contradiction, if I ever saw one).

Quote:
Again, its physically impossible for a car that weighs significantly more with the same power output to out accelerate an identical car (drag, front cross sectional area, wake etc) with a higher power to weight ratio. I can assure you of that.
No-one is claiming otherwise, though the acceleration penalty from ~7% heavier REX generator weight is marginal for an already relatively slow i3 (BEV or REX).
Few people (other than Leaf refugees) are buying i3's for performance.
People who demand performance and EV propulsion inevitably end up driving Tesla Model S's.

a
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 03:13 AM   #26
demlotcrew
Rep

FWIW a 60Ah battery is not the same as a 94Ah battery, 60Ah is roughly 0.22Kw and 94Ah is 0.35kw its not the same battery!!! Like I said, its not going to happen that cars will be able to travel 50% further on the same battery.

Not fully conversed with with overpriced rental cars in the US, but in the UK if the final value of the lease does not match up, you cough up the shortfall. (Unless you take out insurance).

US Average commute date.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/commute-statistics/

UK Average commute data sources.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census...d-to-work.html

The very fact that the majority of REX owners boast how little the moped kicks in, gives me all the information I need, REX was only designed to accommodate an insecure/undeceive buyer.

Andrew

Last edited by demlotcrew; 12-03-2015 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #27
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
I'm still happy with my REX its not a commuting car but an every day car.

Where I live a car where I can only drive 30 miles and have to do an about turn and drive home is not for me. When REX has kicked in its usually 5-10 miles from home and then its on the charger.

If I could find a high speed AC charger working (at 32A) I wouldn't relish the 2 hour wait before moving on.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #28
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I am neither a "insecure/undeceive buyer"

Assuming so, is not the reason I chose a REx or the i3 overall.

Although designed as a city car I've pushed it, if you will, and drove 640 miles one way. Last weekend.

I made a very planned and researched purchase. As with all my cars.
      12-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #29
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
I am neither a "insecure/undeceive buyer"

Assuming so, is not the reason I chose a REx or the i3 overall.

Although designed as a city car I've pushed it, if you will, and drove 640 miles one way. Last weekend.

I made a very planned and researched purchase. As with all my cars.
No doubt.
Just ignore the trolls, and enjoy your i3, BEV or REX !

a
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #30
demlotcrew
Rep

Ill just leave todays example here.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #31
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The nearest Ecotricity CCS to us is Exeter about 45 miles

After that on the M5 to Bristol all are just AC chargers

Down into Cornwall there are only 2 AC chargers a fair distance apart

I haven't looked into others as they are all very costly a connection fee of up to £1.80 and 30p /kWh is a joke - far more than the REX's petrol consumption
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #32
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex View Post
I haven't looked into others as they are all very costly a connection fee of up to £1.80 and 30p /kWh is a joke - far more than the REX's petrol consumption
Indeed Roache is the only free fast one in Cornwall, Plymouth pod-points are also all free but slow ones.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #33
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Indeed Roache is the only free fast one in Cornwall, Plymouth pod-points are also all free but slow ones.
Unfortunately the Victoria services DC charger is not i3 compatible unless its been changed recently.

Its a JEVS (CHAdeMO) connector
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #34
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex View Post
Unfortunately the Victoria services DC charger is not i3 compatible unless its been changed recently.

Its a JEVS (CHAdeMO) connector
If we are looking at driving to Bristol

There are CCS Ecotricity at Exeter (45 miles) then Sedgemore (58 miles) onto Bristol (28 miles) then same on the way back
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #35
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Well off to Bristol next week, CCS @ Exeter has worked well so far (25mins to top up after driving from Plymouth). So will see how it goes from there. Just doing it as an exercise in practicality...

Done 1200 miles in 2 months so pleased with that, now we have the BMW pure charger fitted at home that makes it even easier.

Without doubt the i3 is a perfect town car, quick and easy, great turning circle too. For that alone it has turned out better then we had hoped.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #36
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
If thinking of traveling into Cornwall the Victoria Services Charging point looks to be out of service they are doing building work and its cordoned off
Appreciate 0