awhk88.00
      12-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Styling aside, the iX xDrive is not so bad value considering what you’re getting as an overall product - $90,000CAD isn’t so bad if you’re a buyer in this price bracket. Just saw a EQB for close to $86,650CAD. Comparing the two, you’re getting a whole lot more with the iX than what you’re getting with a EQB at similar price.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003897.00
Bironf10.50
      12-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Sounds like Rivian needs to do some software upgrades to R1S. Like they said R1T drives amazing. R1S could need some tweaks to address it's shorter wheelbase. Although other reviewers have fully tested R1S and had different feelings.

Rivian is the only company besides Rimac selling quad motor EV's. Leading the way in EV drivetrains. R1S also has air suspension with 9.5in to 14in of ground clearance. Active dampers and hydraulic roll stiffness.

Very little in the article about R1S quad motors and the 8 different drive modes, suspension settings...etc. What drive mode and/or suspension settings were they in during testing, they completely change the characteristics of the vehicle. They complained about the nose going skyward when launching the R1S. Tells me they were probably doing launches in normal mode with soft suspension. R1T and R1S best launches in sport mode and stiff suspension, you will get no nose lift. The R1S is setup to do everything including offroad, so there a large variable between suspension settings. Lackluster article to be honest.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-08-2022 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

The article mentions the IX can't coast. Can someone confirm if that's true or not?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
The article mentions the IX can't coast. Can someone confirm if that's true or not?
I would suppose not - the iX M60 has the same ability to use adaptive regen as the 50, which coasts superbly.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      12-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #6
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I would suppose not - the iX M60 has the same ability to use adaptive regen as the 50, which coasts superbly.
True, I just wish there was a setting for free coast without any regen. It's more efficient on the highway.

I am looking at you, OTA update.
      12-08-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah coasts fine if you put it in D, with adaptive regen. If you put it in B, then it doesn't coast. Unless the iX M60 is different?!?

This review is correct, the chassis dynamics on the iX are just incredible. Has the same magic as some of the recent M CS cars, just a masterclass. I test drove a Model Y the other day, its pathetic by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Yeah coasts fine if you put it in D, with adaptive regen. If you put it in B, then it doesn't coast. Unless the iX M60 is different?!?

This review is correct, the chassis dynamics on the iX are just incredible. Has the same magic as some of the recent M CS cars, just a masterclass. I test drove a Model Y the other day, its pathetic by comparison.
Ok thanks. Was curious since the i4 can coast in D. Seemed to be silly to not have that as driving option.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok thanks. Was curious since the i4 can coast in D. Seemed to be silly to not have that as driving option.
Here's the original press pack info related to coasting:

On the open road, meanwhile, the coasting function enhances comfort and efficiency, the car “freewheeling” with no drive power whenever the driver takes their foot off the accelerator. Adaptive adjustments according to the driving situation are also carried out when the navigation system’s route guidance function is not activated, precise control of the adaptive recuperation enabling instantaneous responses to changes in the driving situation. For example, activating the turn signal indicator while coasting immediately initiates recuperation. But when approaching junctions with traffic lights, Brake Energy Regeneration is cancelled if the lights turn from red to green.
      12-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Sounds like Rivian needs to do some software upgrades to R1S. Like they said R1T drives amazing. R1S could need some tweaks to address it's shorter wheelbase. Although other reviewers have fully tested R1S and had different feelings.

Rivian is the only company besides Rimac selling quad motor EV's. Leading the way in EV drivetrains. R1S also has air suspension with 9.5in to 14in of ground clearance. Active dampers and hydraulic roll stiffness.

Very little in the article about R1S quad motors and the 8 different drive modes, suspension settings...etc. What drive mode and/or suspension settings were they in during testing, they completely change the characteristics of the vehicle. They complained about the nose going skyward when launching the R1S. Tells me they were probably doing launches in normal mode with soft suspension. R1T and R1S best launches in sport mode and stiff suspension, you will get no nose lift. The R1S is setup to do everything including offroad, so there a large variable between suspension settings. Lackluster article to be honest.

Rivian has promise however they are cashed strapped, bleeding money and well can't deliver in a market that is new, overpriced, and workforce/part stressed so it's going to be rough. I think the review is fair, i have yet to see any bad review of the IX outside of looks and dislike of the lack of buttons.

This applies to all new EV startups... Rivians value is down 75%, so IDK is the SUV a rushed job to make sales. There are plenty of bad SUVs but how many bad pickups are on the market? A bad pickup in North America wont sell

If you test some ev's alone but test it next to something in the same class often you find faults.

90% of the suv market never goes of pavement... So the offroad is moot just as if they where to do a track test.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #11
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Lackluster article to be honest.
That's been my experience with just about every review I've read from publications that traditionally review ICE vehicles. But it's nice to see that they include information on battery voltage and charging speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #12
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Rivian has promise however they are cashed strapped, bleeding money and well can't deliver in a market that is new, overpriced, and workforce/part stressed so it's going to be rough.
Rivian has over 13 billion cash on hand. They are fine. Once supply chain issues are sloved, their factories are ready to go full steam. Their product is on the leading edge of EV tech. They just need to scale up production next year and start hitting targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
This applies to all new EV startups... Rivians value is down 75%, so IDK is the SUV a rushed job to make sales. There are plenty of bad SUVs but how many bad pickups are on the market? A bad pickup in North America wont sell

If you test some ev's alone but test it next to something in the same class often you find faults.
C/D and others have stellar review for R1T. It is probably one of the best EV's on the market today, in another league than a F150 Lightning. No one is producing more advanced drivetrains. As far as the R1S, I put it in a different category than the iX. It is more of a Luxury offroader. At it highest suspension setting it has more ground clearance than a Wrangler. Rivian is building adventure vehicles, not full on luxury people movers. This comparo would be like comparing a Bmw X5 vs Defender 130, they are just different vehicles.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-08-2022 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 4
cbertels1215.50
Transfer5250.00
f80tanz233.50
      12-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #13
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
That's been my experience with just about every review I've read from publications that traditionally review ICE vehicles. But it's nice to see that they include information on battery voltage and charging speeds.
I agree, has nothing really to do with the outcome. Both vehicles are very nice.

It seems the traditional auto reviewers are just not well versed in EV's and different tech in each vehicle. They seem skim over some huge details.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-08-2022 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #14
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
This is an apples and oranges comparison. The BMW is an SUV for comfortable fast highway driving and the occasional trip to the ski slopes. The Rivian is an SUV for comfortable highway driving and real off roading.
People are using their Rivians around town mainly, so it’s a valid comparison. If you want to use your EV off-road, you shouldn’t be looking at the iX at all.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #15
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
The 4 motor Rivian has the ability to power each wheel. The iX has the ability to power one wheel on each axle. That should tell you quite a bit of the intent for each. I do wish the iX had a limited slip rear differential.

These are different cars for different purposes. The R1S would be better compared against a Suburban or Yukon if they made them in an EV.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #16
Vater
Rep
Drives: iX xdrive50

This is very interesting to me and directly relevant. The only reason I have an iX is due to the fallout of my journey with Rivian.

Our family decided to go full electric and we need an SUV sized car. So I did some research and fell in love with the R1S. I got in a pre-order at the introductory price.

Rivian then infamously raised the price on pre-order holders, so I promptly canceled my order and bought an iX.

When they walked back their price increase on pre-order holders, I went ahead and got back in line - and I've been waiting since.

Meanwhile, my iX was ordered, built, and delivered from Germany. And I've been enjoying it for months now.

I'm still waiting for my R1S. They say it'll come in summer 2023........

I still want an off-road capable SUV. And the third row will be useful to me. I expect the acceleration and range to be on par with the iX. So I don't know if I'm going to keep the iX and sell the R1S for an immediate profit, sell the iX and roll the dice on making the R1S my main ride, or keep both.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #17
LouisianaBimmerFan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 Black, BMW M5

KoolAid Drinker
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:17 PM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
This is an apples and oranges comparison. The BMW is an SUV for comfortable fast highway driving and the occasional trip to the ski slopes. The Rivian is an SUV for comfortable highway driving and real off roading.
Absolutely. I've had an R1S on order for over a year. If I was given an iX I would sell it outright. I'm tired of road only "SUVs". I want the fully off-road capable vehicle that is also fantastic on road.

Also, the iX would be better as a minivan. Yeah I said it.
Appreciate 1
M3WC3645.00
      12-08-2022, 10:43 PM   #19
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

while it doesn't handle nearly as well, the performance stats are tremendous for the m60 - .2 seconds slower to 60 and .1 slow in the quarter mile vs. the 190K Porsche Cayenne GT. Not too shabby in the go fast department (and yes I know EVs are fast but 6K pounds and 600+ hp are working well here). Could bode well for the XM
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:59 PM   #20
storm3163
Stormxxxx
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vater View Post
This is very interesting to me and directly relevant. The only reason I have an iX is due to the fallout of my journey with Rivian.

Our family decided to go full electric and we need an SUV sized car. So I did some research and fell in love with the R1S. I got in a pre-order at the introductory price.

Rivian then infamously raised the price on pre-order holders, so I promptly canceled my order and bought an iX.

When they walked back their price increase on pre-order holders, I went ahead and got back in line - and I've been waiting since.

Meanwhile, my iX was ordered, built, and delivered from Germany. And I've been enjoying it for months now.

I'm still waiting for my R1S. They say it'll come in summer 2023........

I still want an off-road capable SUV. And the third row will be useful to me. I expect the acceleration and range to be on par with the iX. So I don't know if I'm going to keep the iX and sell the R1S for an immediate profit, sell the iX and roll the dice on making the R1S my main ride, or keep both.
Wow. I did the exact same thing for the same reasons ( except i dont need the 3rd row) expecting my R1S in 2024. It all depends how my iX holds up till then and if Rivian has a fix for all their repair/software issues whether I trade it in or also sell the Rivian for profit ifnits still profitable to sell in 2024
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 11:56 PM   #21
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
iX M60 in D with Regen set to low coasts quite well B mode in the iX, like the i4 is pretty much one pedal driving, with heavy and aggressive Regen.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:08 AM   #22
The J-Man
Captain
Rep

No doubt the ix is a competent vehicle, but nobody really wants to be seen in one. Everybody wants an R1S, though. The Rivian is the more mainstream desirable product.
Appreciate 0