Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW i4 M50 range limit test on Autobahn by Bjorn Nyland

Specs, data and results:

i4 M50 factory figures: 270 miles range from 83.9kWh battery, 536 hp and 586 lb-ft, dual motor AWD system, 0-60 in 3.7s. $67,300 starting price.

Nyland takes the i4 M50 to V-Max (maximum velocity the i4 will go) on an unrestricted speed portion of the Autobahn.

i4 is driven at constant 200kph / 124mph, with some accelerations up to 230kph / 142mph. The i4 is driven until 3% battery life remaining.

Test Result: The i4 used between 475-503 wh/km. Compare this to Tesla Model 3 that Nyland previously tested - which used 464-502 wh/km

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 7
Logicoeur988.00
EdM53852.50
GordoCLM205.50
Kenny C147.50
cfm56d7b5849.00
      12-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

love this guy trying to get his citizenship by only passing on the left and not pressuring other drivers and making odd noises when he was first putting his foot down 😂
Hedoniste3770.50
      12-11-2022, 05:48 AM   #3
Hansn
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 528i 1982 - G30 530e 2018

Very bad "test" if this is supposed to show how far the car can get at 200km/h.

Very poor conditions, and hes driving style is just raping the battery by constant acceleration/deceleration with the car in B mode. I dont see him coasting properly a single time in this, just hard breaking, hard acceleration constantly.

Just the fact that he is driving in B mode shows hes either not trying or does not know what hes doing. This car is so much more advanced than a Tesla, driving B mode is a stupid gimmick that this car does not need with the adaptive regen. Using it on the autobahn is just bad waste of energy.

This is showing how far the car will go if you drive like a hooligan on the autobahn with the car in sport and B mode mostly tailgating at 1 seconds distance to the car infront. Basically how to suck the battery empty as quick as possible.

ICE cars are just better at this kind of high speed driving no question about it. But this test is total BS if you want to see how far the car will take you at speed if you use your brain, or have open roads at night time to actually cruise at 200+.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
iPhil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansn View Post

Very poor conditions, and hes driving style is just raping the battery by constant acceleration/deceleration with the car in B mode. I dont see him coasting properly a single time in this, just hard breaking, hard acceleration constantly.

Just the fact that he is driving in B mode shows hes either not trying or does not know what hes doing. This car is so much more advanced than a Tesla, driving B mode is a stupid gimmick that this car does not need with the adaptive regen. Using it on the autobahn is just bad waste of energy.

This is showing how far the car will go if you drive like a hooligan on the autobahn with the car in sport and B mode mostly tailgating at 1 seconds distance to the car infront. Basically how to suck the battery empty as quick as possible.

ICE cars are just better at this kind of high speed driving no question about it. But this test is total BS if you want to see how far the car will take you at speed if you use your brain, or have open roads at night time to actually cruise at 200+.
I agree, just put it in D, Comfort or Eco Pro, and set the cruise control at 200 kph. He did everything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:

Yes, but who would watch that boring video. No, lets do everything stupid and get people commenting. I swear, more often then not for an advice on a car Id ask someone who has it, not a youtuber of any kind. their typical focus is on getting people to comment, click, share. Proper consumer advice it can never be as all consumers are so different and YT algos dont allow for too much nuance anyway. Also, some people think this kind of muscle car driving is what its all about, and if the EV cant do it they dont care. So those people will like this stupid proof driving range...

Grain of salt, all these reviews should be taken with.
      12-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

At Vmax (around 225km/h) it was nearly 650wh per km and Max range 150km
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #7
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
At Vmax (around 225km/h) it was nearly 650wh per km and Max range 150km
Well at least you know the car can cruise 100 mph for 100 miles straight. Not too many places in the U.S you can even do that.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #8
Louis_BE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

More concerning is the charge limit of 100kw and even less I believe 49kw from 44%. And it had nothing to do with the high speed test as it stayed always stuck at this after 4/5 charging sessions. More worrying is that other i4 owners commented that they have the same issue. It seems that the car goes into kind of power limit on DC if you do long road trips … I have an iX, hope it’s not the same …
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 04:25 PM   #9
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
More concerning is the charge limit of 100kw and even less I believe 49kw from 44%. And it had nothing to do with the high speed test as it stayed always stuck at this after 4/5 charging sessions. More worrying is that other i4 owners commented that they have the same issue. It seems that the car goes into kind of power limit on DC if you do long road trips … I have an iX, hope it’s not the same …
Well mine seems to start above 190kW, then tapers to 100kw around 50% SOC. On the other hand at 99% SOC, it was still taking 36kW, which is more than a Bolt at 75% SOC.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Whatever the range, i4 M50 is the most appealing EV on the market today. Unwanted dearer markups support this non-scientific survey.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #11
Hansn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
It probably is the same. But you have to empty the battery 3-5 times and plug in back to back for it to trigger. BMW should really shine some more light on how this actually works. Its annoying when it happens, but when it happens again on the second charge day 2 of your roadtrip its pretty unacceptable that there is no info about how its actually working.

Its probably a good thing for the battery, but they need to inform better so that people can charge correctly or set up their route/charge plan to minimize this stuff if possible.
Appreciate 1
Louis_BE336.00
      12-11-2022, 10:24 PM   #12
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree with your observations minus B mode. Not a gimmick, D with adaptive recuperation (not regeneration) is a transitionary way of allowing people that are used to drive ICE cars still get adequate regeneration, while they get used to EV’s. Also, D with adaptive recuperation is not a standard feature.

This is clearly a preference but “B mode” will slowly but surely become the only mode EV’s will be driven. If you reference the manual, B mode is defined as the gear mode with the highest energy recovery.

Even though you may be correct of how the YouTuber was driving, you can coast just fine on B mode. It’s muscle memory and you do it without making a conscious effort. I can’t imagine driving the i4 in other mode than B.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 11:16 PM   #13
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
B-Mode is a love hate relationship thing, i came from the i3s and the B-Mode is the equivalent of how the i3 was driven with the one pedal drive.

I Like using B-Mode but only in city driving, for example when going on the highway i do not like B-Mode its to aggressive for my taste i like the cruising that you get from using adaptive mode not needing to always feel the car keep breaking that hard. But in city driving its wonderful.

At times when driving in B-Mode it feels like the car is using more energy just to be driven forward because there is this built in resistance that is constantly there in B-Mode the minute you left of the accelerator pedal it drops the speed so fast because of the regenerative braking that it feels like that is consumes more energy to get moving again then it regenerate from using B-Mode.

For example i have started using the B-Mode more like a gear leaver then anything else if i am coming up to a red light i throw in to B-Mode letting the car regenerate as much as possible until i come to a complete stop then throw in back in to adaptive mode so it has less resistance when accelerating of or when coming to almost a full stop and the light switches to green i just throw it in to adaptive mode before coming to a complete stop.

So yeah the B-Mode is a love/hate relationship for me at least.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)

Last edited by Nahlem; 12-12-2022 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      12-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #14
Louis_BE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Remember he is a Tesla driver since the early days, B mode is for him the more normal way of driving, I hate B mode, but if your muscle memory is used to it, you can coast with it just fine.

I agree with Hansn, BMW should clarify the behavior, I would not like to find that out on a road trip and would like to plan accordingly!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:07 AM   #15
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Bjorn is a Tesla fanboy ever since Elon Musk gave him a car. Bjorn is bought and paid for.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #16
voxel
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 eDrive40, Ford MachE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Bjorn is a Tesla fanboy ever since Elon Musk gave him a car. Bjorn is bought and paid for.
Lol. He praises a lot of cars and tests them as scientifically as possible compared to the very subjective (and bribed) US media. See Doug DeMuro videos on how reviewers are flown to exotic locales and wined and dined.

He barely reviews Teslas these days anyhow.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
Needsdecaf6357.00
      12-12-2022, 02:10 PM   #17
Louis_BE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
You clearly have not seen many of his video’s, even with the charging flaw Bjorn is really in love with the i4 … one of his top picks. I watch most of the video’s and they really go in depth on many of the facts that traditional media never talks about, charging curves, efficiency at different times of the year …. Road trips etc …. Hardly any Tesla’s are tested in the last years … the variety of cars is amazing and no site comes even close if it’s about EV testing
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
Needsdecaf6357.00
      12-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #18
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I seldom listen to reviews, much prefer to hear what actual owners think and as one with an i4M50 I can wholeheartedly say it’s one of the best cars I have owned.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
cruzer6661235.50
      12-13-2022, 12:00 AM   #19
Louis_BE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I seldom listen to reviews, much prefer to hear what actual owners think and as one with an i4M50 I can wholeheartedly say it’s one of the best cars I have owned.
Me too, but they rarely put in-depth video’s out. So I try to blend the 2 opinions.
For me the discovery of the charging limit after 4/5 DC charges is something I would like to see some real owner road trip experiences.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 07:16 AM   #20
Hansn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
I agree with your observations minus B mode. Not a gimmick, D with adaptive recuperation (not regeneration) is a transitionary way of allowing people that are used to drive ICE cars still get adequate regeneration, while they get used to EV’s. Also, D with adaptive recuperation is not a standard feature.

This is clearly a preference but “B mode” will slowly but surely become the only mode EV’s will be driven. If you reference the manual, B mode is defined as the gear mode with the highest energy recovery.

Even though you may be correct of how the YouTuber was driving, you can coast just fine on B mode. It’s muscle memory and you do it without making a conscious effort. I can’t imagine driving the i4 in other mode than B.

Cheers!
The car he is driving has adaptive regen as its a DAP equipped car. Its sad that he does not explore this feature more. But as some people say, he is Teslabjorn after all. He is also frowning upon HUD even tho he had to admit its nice to have at high speeds in this video.. 😂 Looking at hes execution of coasting with B mode its non existent. Its just pure waste of energy as you are nowhere near getting back the energy spent to accelerate from say 180-200 by letting the regen brake you down from 200 to 180 or more.

I think its a great misunderstanding to think you get more regen in B mode. Many people seem to think this, but its wrong. It would be correct only if you drive more agressive and slam on your brakes instead of using the regen available to slow down.

The most efficient way to drive an i4 is eco pro/D mode according to BMW, the manual and simple logic.

The amount of regen braking available is the same in both D and B mode. In 100% of the cases you will have human error causing energy to get wasted even if your muscle memory was as close to perfect as possible. Nobody can balance it so perfectly that you never brake to much at any time, hence its less efficient even though its a driving style some people seem to like. Its atleast not efficient.
Since the car has adaptive regen that is controlled by sensors that are superior to human preception i dont understand why someone that has a car with DAP would use it.

The future is for sure NOT driving with 1 foot on a pedal constantly as we are moving away from even holding hands on the steering wheel.. 😆

I own both an i3 and an i4 and i dont understand why someone would want to drive in B mode even if they dont have DAP. Its a way less relaxed way of driving logically as you need to use your foot constantly. If you have DAP and drive B mode you are really missing out on the next gen B mode driving.. 😄
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #21
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
think its a great misunderstanding to think you get more regen in B mode. Many people seem to think this, but its wrong. It would be correct only if you drive more agressive and slam on your brakes instead of using the regen available to slow down.
Manual reference attached - page 123.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #22
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Manual reference attached - page 123.
In the context of this video then B mode is not the correct mode to use for efficiency, as soon as you lift off the throttle it instantly starts to slow the car so you are needing to use the throttle again to regain the speed, in D mode it coasts and barely loses speed with the throttle off.

B mode is really for use in town and city driving nothing more.
Appreciate 0